The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-27-2021, 01:30 PM

Default ToneDexter Wavemap Library

I thought it would be useful to start a ToneDexter Wavemap Library, where anyone can upload their wavemaps and download any they wish to try.

I'm naming the wavemap files as follows:

PickupName-GuitarName-MicName-MicPosition.WM

Here's the library. Feel free to add your wavemaps or download any that are in there.

ToneDexter Wavemap Library

If someone has already done this, let me know and I'll merge my stuff with their's.

Will this work? I know it's a total crap shoot making your own wavemaps, never mind trying someone else's, but it seems to me that the more variables that are aligned, the better the chances of finding the particular needle in the haystack that will sound nice with your equipment. So the dream is a big enough haystack: a big ol' list of wavemaps, alphabetized by pickup, then guitar, etc. See examples in the folder.

Some links you might need:
How to transfer wavemaps to and from your ToneDexter

Youtube Instructions (same thing on video)

One thing that tripped me up: I was expecting the transfer app to install on my Mac, but it doesn't; you put the .bin file on the SD card and it installs on the ToneDexter.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:00 PM

I can't read much about your files on my tablet, but it does appear that at least one of your IR files was created with a Fishman Matrix equipped guitar. It might be fun to try a Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster with the IRs created with your Matrix equipped guitars. The Acoustasonic Jazzmaster was designed to be a good modeling platform, and one of it's switch & knob position options provides a dry Matrix signal.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:46 AM

Yes, my only amplified guitar (a small-bodied Larrivee) has a Matrix. Interesting about the Acoustisonic—I didn’t know it had a Matrix. ToneDexter provides Wavemaps for the Yamaha silent guitar, which is kinda the same idea, minus the looks.

Sooner or later I figure someone like Yamaha or Godin will make a “log” that looks and plays like an acoustic guitar but deletes a functioning soundboard, and that will be the future of gigging guitars.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeChariot View Post
Yes, my only amplified guitar (a small-bodied Larrivee) has a Matrix. Interesting about the Acoustisonic—I didn’t know it had a Matrix. ToneDexter provides Wavemaps for the Yamaha silent guitar, which is kinda the same idea, minus the looks.

Sooner or later I figure someone like Yamaha or Godin will make a “log” that looks and plays like an acoustic guitar but deletes a functioning soundboard, and that will be the future of gigging guitars.
Godin claims that their synth-equiped guitars are intentionally built to be strong on fundamental tones and weak on harmonics, so that they will track better. I suspect that type of thin-bodied guitar with a relatively short sustain also makes a good modeling platform. Godin DID make some Aura IC-equipped models for a time. I believe they still have a nylon string model(s).

What is special about the Acoustasonic Jazzmaster is that you aren't limited to the factory programmed IRs. Having the dry Matrix signal available allows you to experiment with boxes like the Aura Spectrum and ToneDexter. With these boxes you aren't just limited to a variety of IRs. You also have some control over the wet/dry blend and EQ.

I recall one excellent guitarist in my own area who used to gig with a Yamaha Silent guitar and an Aura Spectrum. He made that rig sound great.

In my own case, I used to gig with a little OO-size Cort which was equipped with an onboard Aura system. The onboard system was OK, but I got much better results using the dry Matrix signal with one of the Aura Spectrum's OM models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
archive, library, sharing, tonedexter, wavemaps