The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2021, 02:09 PM

Default How long to bond with a new guitar?

My new Guild M-20 arrived last week and I enjoy playing it but I'm unsure how long I'm going to keep it. I'm sure it differs for everyone, but I'm curious how long do you usually take before you really bond with a new guitar?

My other guitar is a 2008 Taylor 214 which is a nice all around strummer and for this purchase I wanted something smaller and better for fingerpicking. I love the playability of the 1 3/4" nut, 2 1/4" bridge string spacing, and C/D shape of the neck on the M-20 but I have concerns about the small body size and versatility of an all mahogany guitar. My ears haven't really adjusted yet and I haven't gotten it properly setup but I'm wondering if I should just give it some time to break in (or break me in) or perhaps this is a sign that this isn't the guitar for me?
Old 07-20-2021, 02:25 PM

Make sure you try different brands of strings before you decide. I recently got a new guitar and it arrived with new dead D'Addario strings. Replaced them with Ernie Balls and those died immediately. Was thinking the guitar just might not be for me but put NewTone on last week and the guitar sounds great.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:27 PM

For me, if I like a guitar initially it’ll take a few days or months before elements start to bug me.
Never have I purchased a guitar and have issues with it, but then learn to like it.
Not sure if that makes sense at all.

Guitars do not grow on me. In fact, the things that start to bug me, bug me more as time goes on, not less.

Scott
Old 07-20-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcowboy View Post
... I haven't gotten it properly setup but I'm wondering if I should just give it some time to break in ...
A proper setup is the first thing you need to have done before you can determine whether it sounds good or not.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:46 PM

It takes me about 10 seconds (maybe 5) to do the easy rejections (tone and/or sustain the opposite of what I'm looking for). It's a matter of some minutes before I bond with a guitar - or I don't. Like Hairpuller, my appreciation is either there or it's not, instruments don't grow on me.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-20-2021, 02:56 PM

I’m with Hairpuller. Is there a return option? If so, I’d consider returning it. If not, I’d try it a few more days and probably list it for sale. Someone will love it as they are nice guitars, but not for everyone.

I’ve had a few that were fine guitars, just not my style. It happens.

Rb
Old 07-20-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
A proper setup is the first thing you need to have done before you can determine whether it sounds good or not.
^^^^^
This. First thing you should do. To my ears, well set up guitars sound better; it's probably because my playing sucks less when the guitar is easy to play.....

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x
Old 07-20-2021, 03:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
this...............
Old 07-20-2021, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I bond with it right away or I don't keep it. Some I bond with right away I've come to like a lot less over time, but only a couple I can think of. I've only kept a few that I didn't bond with right away long enough to verify that I don't grow to like them MORE over time. When I buy guitars in person, I usually play a few or several and I'm only leaving with the one I like best, if any - I have to like it a lot.

Over the past five years, I guess I've bought maybe 7-8 guitars (electric and acoustic) without playing them first, from places with good return policies. I think I've returned one electric and two acoustics out of those. I pretty much knew within a few minutes to maybe half an hour that they were going back, but kept them each a couple of days to be sure - nothing changed, they went back.

-Ray
Old 07-20-2021, 03:52 PM

For me, much of it has to do with ergonomics. Does the neck feel good to my fretting hand? Is the guitar's body a comfortable fit with my body? Doesn't take long....
Old 07-20-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
For me, much of it has to do with ergonomics. Does the neck feel good to my fretting hand? Is the guitar's body a comfortable fit with my body? Doesn't take long....
That's what lead me to getting the guitar. I like the neck a lot and and ergonomics of the strings spacing is really nice for fingerpicking.

The all mahogany tone and the small body size are what I'd need to get used to or grow to enjoy more.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:13 PM

Usually after a few minutes of playing I know if it's for me or not.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcowboy View Post
My new Guild M-20 arrived last week and I enjoy playing it but I'm unsure how long I'm going to keep it. I'm sure it differs for everyone, but I'm curious how long do you usually take before you really bond with a new guitar?

My other guitar is a 2008 Taylor 214 which is a nice all around strummer and for this purchase I wanted something smaller and better for fingerpicking. I love the playability of the 1 3/4" nut, 2 1/4" bridge string spacing, and C/D shape of the neck on the M-20 but I have concerns about the small body size and versatility of an all mahogany guitar. My ears haven't really adjusted yet and I haven't gotten it properly setup but I'm wondering if I should just give it some time to break in (or break me in) or perhaps this is a sign that this isn't the guitar for me?
Interesting question.

Assuming you had not played one prior to receiving it, it is rather like ordering a mail-order bride. You might like the bride, you might not, you, in time, might learn to like the bride. That's a different situation than meeting someone in person, and, on the basis of liking them, develop a relationship.

Like others stated, I know within a minute if an instrument is for me or not. That certainly wasn't the case when I started out. Since then, I've come to explicitly understand what I'm looking for in a guitar: it either has it or it doesn't.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 07-21-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

This is an interesting question without an absolute answer imo. I’m a little slow to figure a guitar out. I’d say it normally takes me 1 month to understand what I’m working with. However, there have been 2 cases in my life where I commissioned guitars where I thought — whoa! What do I have here? In both cases I knew there was a great guitar in there, but I wasn’t sure I was going to find what I was looking for. In any case, I have plenty of guitars and patience. It took 6 months before I could honestly feel the true potential & character of the guitars — and within a year they both became simply outstanding lifetime guitars. So for me, it’s not so simple.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
It takes me about 10 seconds (maybe 5) to do the easy rejections (tone and/or sustain the opposite of what I'm looking for). It's a matter of some minutes before I bond with a guitar - or I don't. Like Hairpuller, my appreciation is either there or it's not, instruments don't grow on me.
This is me. It’s pretty much immediate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guild, guild m-20