The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2021, 06:07 PM

Default Yamaha FG-180 Red Label

Hi all,

I inherited a guitar a while back from my grandfather (which I assume he left it to me because, out of the grandkids, I am the only musical one... I play the piano). I don't know anything about guitars or how to assess their value. I am wondering if there any guitar dealers/experts out there that could help me with putting a value on this?

Here are images of the guitar: https://imgur.com/gallery/IB9hR4v?s=sms

It's in good condition, definitely not tuned though. There are some scuffs at the top part and minor scratches on the back. I don't have a case for it, I've just kept it on the stand in my room.

Let me know if you need anymore info on it- and I appreciate any help!

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-01-2021 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Edited according to rules.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

This should give you an idea…

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=yamaha%20fg%20180
Old 07-01-2021, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Here's the price guide of what FG-180's have actually sold for...some of those current ones for sale are way overpriced. https://reverb.com/p/yamaha-fg-180-j...ed#price-guide
Old 07-01-2021, 11:09 PM

I checked out reverb, but the listing prices go from $600-1200 which is a pretty huge range. That sold chart is helpful, but, again, still a huge range of $300-700. I guess my question here would be better phrased as how can tell if mine is at the low end or the high end? What are the features that set a $700 FG-180 apart from a $300 one?
Old 07-01-2021, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer123 View Post
I checked out reverb, but the listing prices go from $600-1200 which is a pretty huge range. That sold chart is helpful, but, again, still a huge range of $300-700. I guess my question here would be better phrased as how can tell if mine is at the low end or the high end? What are the features that set a $700 FG-180 apart from a $300 one?
It really comes down to the condition of the guitar, not features as all FG-180s are essentially the same. It looks like yours is relatively clean and doesn’t have any cracks or tons of dings/scrapes which is good. The biggest issue on older Yamahas can be the neck angle, where action gets too high for comfortable playability and the saddle can’t be lowered more. When this happens a guitar needs a neck reset, which generally costs around $400-$600 - unfortunately resetting the neck on those old Yamahas is much more difficult than on most other guitars, so it’s something that many luthiers won’t even do and isn’t worth the cost unless you want it repaired for sentimental reasons.

There are a number of threads/articles out there that can give you info on how to determine if the guitar needs a neck reset, or you can always just drop by a local shop and get their assessment.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:06 AM

The FG180 among all the Red Label models has somehow managed to achieve a reputation far beyond what a humble all-laminate construction guitar should be enjoying!
That said it was my first decent guitar when I bought mine, new, from Ivor Mairants Musicentre in London in 1969, now sadly defunct. Cost me £40 and some change.
As mentioned above cosmetic condition governs what someone might be prepared to pay, but a player would be fortunate to find one in playable condition and which doesn't need a neck reset.

Last edited by AndrewG; 07-02-2021 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer123 View Post
I guess my question here would be better phrased as how can tell if mine is at the low end or the high end? What are the features that set a $700 FG-180 apart from a $300 one?
I'd suggest that yours being a Taiwanese made Red Label (as opposed to MIJ) and lacking the original case would place it at the lower end of the price range...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-02-2021 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
The FG180 among all the Red Label models has somehow managed to achieve a reputation far beyond what a humble all-laminate construction guitar should be enjoying!
That said it was my first decent guitar when I bought mine, new, from Ivor Mairants Musicentre in London in 1969, now sadly defunct. Cost me £40 and some change.
As mentioned above cosmetic condition governs what someone might be prepared to pay, but a player would be fortunate to find one in playable condition and which doesn't need a neck reset.
My first decent guitar as well and also bought in Ivor Mairants in 1972, by which time it had considerably increased in price. I'm sure I paid about £70 for it, but inflation was rampant at the time if I remember correctly.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I brought it to my local shop today as one of the posters suggested, the neck does not need to be reset thankfully- all it needed was some new strings and a tuning! It sounded great when the store manager played it after.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:10 PM

My 1970 Yamaha FG180 red label needs a serious neck reset. It has sentimental value since it was my first guitar. No one around here wants to attempt a reset since they can be problematic. It sounds good. Neck is great. It's worth $600 to have another good guitar and to salvage it from becoming a sentimental wall hanger. More than $600 is getting a bit crazy. Tough call.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyR View Post
My 1970 Yamaha FG180 red label needs a serious neck reset. It has sentimental value since it was my first guitar. No one around here wants to attempt a reset since they can be problematic. It sounds good. Neck is great. It's worth $600 to have another good guitar and to salvage it from becoming a sentimental wall hanger. More than $600 is getting a bit crazy. Tough call.
People who hang onto first inexpensive acoustic guitars become good slide players. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 07-21-2021, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
My first decent guitar as well and also bought in Ivor Mairants in 1972, by which time it had considerably increased in price. I'm sure I paid about £70 for it, but inflation was rampant at the time if I remember correctly.
Yes, Ivor's was a favourite of mine-along with Guitar Village on Shaftesbury Avenue where I'd hang out on Saturdays and annoy the staff as a teenager! I recall being smitten by a Harptone 'Eagle' they had.
I've seen the FG180 going for as much as £500 in good condition; it would be nice to have one again for the sake of nostalgia if nothing else, but I wonder if it would give me as much pleasure as my original one did...
Old 07-21-2021, 01:20 PM

Not made in Japan, no case, not sure of neck angle, I’d price it at $350-400 and see what the market says. You never know!
Old 07-22-2021, 07:51 AM

I have one of these that I got around 1972. If in playable condition - what you are looking at is an inexpensive but highly regarded guitar. It's worth more in how it plays and sounds that what kind of money you can for it. I agree with FLRon, and would ask $400 for it.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
.......what you are looking at is an inexpensive but highly regarded guitar. It's worth more in how it plays and sounds that what kind of money you can for it......
I think above comments are spot on. My best friend growing up (and still now) had an FG-180 which we played the heck out of for years. Purchased in early-70's, not super cheap/not expensive, it was considered a very respectable guitar then, though Yamaha hadn't risen to the Martin/Gibson/Guild level, still it was a great player.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
yahama fg, yamaha, yamaha red label fg 180