The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2021, 12:09 PM

Default NGD (almost): Crack in my "new" Guild from MF

So I purchased my first "NEW" guitar since 26 years ago (first guitar I received was BRAND NEW and everything between has been used).

A Guild DS240 (I am not a high roller) from the Musician's Friend phone line (with phone discount) which I was originally told was on back-order until mid-June, but then miraculously was sent a shipping confirmation literally 2-3 days after I placed the order. It was getting shipped out of California. Big win - so I thought.

The Guild box arrives on my doorstep yesterday early afternoon - and I forced myself to "finish my work shift" and sit there in my home office (the spare bedroom) and in my work from home attire (sweats) - just salivating at the chance of ripping open the box.

Examining the shipping box - it's a Guild cardboard box with all the logos and stories etc printed all over it. I notice that the sender's address is: Van Nuys in San Fran - there's a GC store there right? hmmm....

I finally open her up and carefully pull out the contents - photographing every step of the way...thinking that maybe just maybe I'll need photos "just in case" something should be wrong with it.

Everything was neatly packed....the Guild SWAG bag was all tied up and had all the Guild razz ma tazz inside: truss rod wrench, free picks, paperwork that tells you how awesome they think they are. The guitar was wrapped tightly in its foam-paper sleeve. Not a trace of a paper invoice or any MF/GC paperwork though...hmm..

I quickly had a flashback - you know, like when you feel slightly guilty about ordering a product - you go back to every website known to man to search to make sure you got the best deal? I remember looking at the GC website just about 2 days after I placed my order - and saw that they had an "Excellent" condition USED DS240 listed at a super competitive price (lower than my sales price). Notably, that listing disappeared approximately 2 days later. hmm....

As I hold my "new" DS240 up to the light to appreciate and ogle at it, the light glistening off of it's polished sunbursted body...I notice the pleasant yet overpowering aroma of new car smell....or is it car wax? Since it had been so very long since my last "new" guitar - maybe perhaps this is the scent that I have been missing out on all these years???? hmm..

Closer examination of the pickguard and the gleamy shine coming off of it - I see... fingerprints and scratches? what?

I run my hand across the smooth glossy body - thinking -yeah maybe the dude who packed it touched the pickguard....alot. And suddenly bu--bump....there it is, a 6 inch long crack right smack dab in the middle of the lower bout.

SO DISAPPOINTED. SUPER BUMMER.

Anyway, the guys at MF were super accommodating - I had documented the whole opening with photos. They quickly sent me a return label, this cracked top Guild is headed straight back today and I have been reassured by the dudes at MF that they will re-order it and the next one delivered in Mid-June will be "Brand New direct from the Factory".

Today I am thinking about this whole situation - did they knowingly drop ship this "used" or "imperfect" guitar to me even though I had ordered a "new" one?

How does this even happen? Maybe their bankruptcy protection has something to do with it? Anybody have a similar experience? I would love to hear it.

I mean - nothing against the big conglomerate, I do like my gear advisor at MF, I'm just super disappointed that I received an obviously flawed instrument and have to go through the return process and then wait for my new piece to arrive in June.

Photo links fixed below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UzNna7KfG5ugtx6ZA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tw7P4HUQq6QNAXYx7

Last edited by Jodythebaker; 05-26-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

That's really shady bordering on fraudulent. Luckily it's easy to return but what if they pulled a fast one over on someone not experienced enough to know better?
Old 05-26-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
That's really shady bordering on fraudulent. Luckily it's easy to return but what if they pulled a fast one over on someone not experienced enough to know better?
I don’t think it is fair to accuse them with that since you really don’t know for sure. There is that rare chance that it happened during shipping.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Man, oh, man. That is rough!

Thankfully, it will get corrected. I wonder if a used DS240 in excellent condition is going to show back up for sale...
Old 05-26-2021, 12:31 PM

Not entirely related, but a couple weeks ago I ordered a Guild M-140 from Musicians Friend, knowing they were on backorder until mid-June or so. Then a couple days later I received an email saying it was being shipped to me. After a few days it arrived... The box said it was a Guild M-140, but when I opened it, I noticed the case looked different than I expected (having ordered an OM-120 last year) and lo and behold inside was a Guild Jumbo Junior Bass. It appeared the box has been sealed at the Guild factory, so maybe the mistake was made there and not with Musicians Friend, but who knows.

Here's hoping we actually get what we ordered come June.
(Martin) Sigma DM-1
(Martin) Sigma GC1ST
Old 05-26-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

I suspect no fraud, just typical GC & MF poor inspection of their products. Thank goodness they have about the best return policy. I have received guitars from them that were fine and guitars that no one inspected and should never have been sent out. I just walked into the closest GC and returned each one with no questions asked.

I returned one used Martin I got from Texas that was disgusting and in need of a neck reset. I saw it advertised by the GC I returned it to a week later.....
Old 05-26-2021, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
I don’t think it is fair to accuse them with that since you really don’t know for sure. There is that rare chance that it happened during shipping.
Maybe I'm jumping the gun but they mentioned fingerprints all over it and to me that's sounding at the very least shopworn. I can't see the pictures.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:39 PM

I just fixed the links to the photos - my mistake, whoops!
Old 05-26-2021, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I've gotten stuff from MF that come to me from a GC somewhere and often times their description as new is a stretch. I think they consider well auditioned floor models as still in new condition regardless how many people have fingered it before. I think when you order something from GC they do an inventory search, find it in one of their stores and ship it from there A shipping person grabs it, puts it back in the original box and ships it. I don't think there is much inspection process and they simply make up for it by having a hassle free return process.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-26-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but if the OP didn't put those scratches on the pick guard someone else did.

The good thing about MF is that they are easy to deal with regarding returns. But yeah, bummer indeed.....

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-26-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Yeah, but if the OP didn't put those scratches on the pick guard someone else did.

The good thing about MF is that they are easy to deal with regarding returns. But yeah, bummer indeed.....
Well that’s a poor attempt at fraud then, if they are so willing to make it right.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:49 PM

To avoid this sort of thing in the future I have just one word to say -

SWEETWATER

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29
Old 05-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, the shippers may have opened the package and held a hootenany at the depot, re-boxed it and delivered it.

Far, far too many similar occurrences told by trusted sources for MF/GC to have my trust. I shop local, then Sweetwater. NEVER had anything but stellar products and service. Im glad they are making it right....but only after being called on a big wrong.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-26-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Well that’s a poor attempt at fraud then, if they are so willing to make it right.
Perhaps not fraud really. When (or if) you buy a guitar from the acoustic showroom from GC, it has most certainly been played. Still sold as new. Perhaps the buyer had sellers remorse and having removed the pickguard plastic and played it, returned it within window for returns. MF MAY still consider it new (not saying they should, just sayin'). Crack could be from transport.

I have heard other stories of scratched up, clearly played gear as having been sold as new by MF.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-26-2021, 04:45 PM

Just received a 90 year old tenor banjo from the MF / GC used section. It arrived missing one of the head brackets. I called the number provided in the shipment and spoke to the GC store mgr from where it was shipped. It was not a big deal but I requested a shipping refund. $18. They do charge reasonable shipping on used products. The rep said he'd refund $40 + tax. Went to my local repair guy. He pulled the part out of a drawer and gave it to me.

I have always been treated well by MF if there were an issue. I've been with them since before they were an internet company. Paper catalog only.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ds240, guild, musician's friend, ngd