The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
Peacemaker, if you have an EC Martin you should try EC strings. I did NOT like them, and was very sad because of it. But YMMV.
Those were the first set I put on since buying the guitar and I don't like them too. See my original post. Not sure whether I got a bad set or something though. Hard to describe it, but they sound kinda dull/flat and lifeless. Maybe they're good when micing/plugging the guitar?

Next set going on will be a Martin Marquis M1100 80/20 lights that I have and see whether I like them.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:45 PM
AGF Administrator

Welcome to the forum on congrats on the EC. My local shop has one that's the best sounding guitar I've ever played, just can't bring myself to spend the money on it.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Welcome to the forum on congrats on the EC. My local shop has one that's the best sounding guitar I've ever played, just can't bring myself to spend the money on it.
Hey Jeremy, thanks! I think that you should definitely buy it if it's that good. You can always come up with some money, but finding another example that sounds as good is not a sure thing. Personally, I always regretted it when I didn't buy a guitar that sounded great.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
Peacemaker
Very nice first acoustic. I have played a couple but have never owned one. As far as a second guitar, you might want to consider a mahogany slope shoulder dread - Gibson J15/35/45/50 body style. The slope dreads (to me) don't feel as big as the typical Martin D 14 fret dreads. They are a touch thinner at the body and have a shorter scale of 24.75". There are a lot of manufacturers to choose from - Larrivee, Gibson, Taylor Grand Pacifics, Eastman plus all of the small bench buys - Fairbanks, Kopp, John Walker, Greven etc. I recently acquired a 50's Gibson J-50 and I find it very comfortable to play. I just think a mahogany slope shoulder would compliment the rosewood 000 nicely. Good luck in your search.
Hi tomcstokes59! Thanks for the info. I have a lot of reading to do when it comes to different acoustic types, I'm not that familiar with acoustics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Welcome and congratulations on a new guitar.

I had a 000ec that I traded for an Authentic D-28, which I eventually traded for another 000 sized guitar - so good for you deciding ahead of time on a comfortable size.

I wouldn't use 13's on your guitar, but some might. Coming from electric, I suspect you'll find 12's to be stiff enough.
Thanks musicman1951! Yes, I thought really hard about it and decided to go with a 000/OM type. I think I made the right choice because the guitar size feels perfect to me and it sounds great too.

As for the 12s I gradually got used to them, but yes it was a strange feeling the first few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000Guy View Post
Congratulations on owning one of Martin's most beautiful and successful guitars. I encourage you to play your EC with mediums if you want to draw maximum tone from your instrument. I've tried many string brands and types on my 000-18 Authentic 1937 and I keep returning to the Martin Medium Phosphor Bronze and 80/20 Bronze strings that seem made for the guitar. I encourage you to continue to experiment with string brands- your instrument will tell you what it prefers. The experimentation is part of the fun of making the guitar you own.
Thanks 000Guy! Yes, I am curious about the difference of lights vs mediums and I will eventually try them. My only concern is whether they can actually be used with a 000 type guitar as most people told me to only use light ones. I guess if I put on mediums I'll have to make some truss-rod adjustments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwilliams View Post
Welcome!

I prefer the 80/20 on my 28EC as well. I just love the brighter tone. I use 80/20 on all my acoustic. I do have a new 000-42, 3 months old. It still has the factory PB (MA540T) set on it. But I am changing them today.

For your next Martin, I strongly suggest the D-42. There is not going to be that much difference in tone between the 000 and OM. I think you'd adjust to the physical size pretty quickly. And, there is a lot more of everything from the D size guitar - especially bass. And, if the cost is not an issue, go ahead with the D45. Just make sure it is a Reimagined version.
Hi Lwilliams! Congrats on your new 000-42. They look great and I'm sure they sound great too.

Yes, I think I prefer 80/20s based on my experience so far. Next set is going to be a 80/20.

Why the Reimagined? Any particular reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
1. I liked 80/20s n my EC, but then I generally like them on Rosewood backed guitars. I like PBs on Mahogany family. Try the Nanoweb Elixers, although generally I favor John Pearse. Strings are cheap. Try a bunch.

2. Should be OK with mediums, but generally midsize guitars don't take as much tension to drive the top. Just keep an eye on the bridge. The suggestion of the New Mediums is also a good one.

3. Personally, I don't like Dreads. Usually the bass is too tubby. I like a better balanced instrument. (And before someone accuses me of not liking bass, keep in mind that I have two Baritones. I just like clear and focused low end.) Also they are uncomfortable to play seated. I do have a small jumbo. I would go with the suggestion to look at alternate woods, like a mahogany-backed guitar, to give yourself a different voice. More clarity and separation string to string. More fundamental but less overtones. Some people like both, some do not. Or if you really want a different voice, try something like a Gibson. Or Walnut. Or Koa. Australian Blackwood. Et al.

Be aware your EC is a shorter scale: 24.9." OMs are generally 25.4." Like the difference in feel between a Les Paul and a Strat. Dreads are usually 25.4." Not all 000s are the shorter scale either. Personally, I like the shorter scales. OMMV. Your EC also has a wider nut: 1 3/4." Again, and particularly with older used instruments, not all do.

Have fun. Glad that you like the EC.
Thank you very much for the info and recommendations Mycroft much appreciated! Reading your post reminded me of why I went with a 000/OM type. Bass freqs were always the biggest issue for me when it comes to guitars either electrics or acoustics. I too prefer ultra focused bass even if that means that a guitar doesn't have too much bass. I love the bass "response" of my 28EC, it's perfect for my tastes.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:21 AM

Great choice as your first guitar, i can't even remember what my first acoustic was now but anyway i did once own a OOOEC, it was the first acoustic i played and thought that's what acoustic guitars are meant to sound like, light and airy with a plummy bass response, loved everything about it apart from the V neck and that was what made me trade it with a friend of mine who still has it and loves it, otherwise it would still be with me. Enjoy the guitar cause they are a cracker!!
Old 01-11-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
And after 20 years of playing it you will think that it was cheap.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:59 AM

Now that’s a beauty! Thanks for posting photos. Now you are official.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I use GHS Phosphor Bronze 12s on my EC. Tried many others but i keep coming back to them.

I gave my D to my son, just too big. You might consider an 00 versus an OM. I find an OM not too much different form the 000, and the 00 a perfect size.

btw, Congratulations!
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 01-12-2021, 01:53 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, what a great first acoustic. Well done too for buying something really good and buying used. I had a Martin EC for a while. Bought it used, enjoyed it, and eventually sold it with no money lost.

I strung my EC and other Martins with Martin PBs. I tried the 80/20s once and while they added brightness, to my ears they also sounded thin. But others have better luck than me.

For a nice contrast while staying with Martin my 2 cents worth is to buy something with a contrasting tonewood. My best Martin ever was a used koa OM-42 that sounded sublime and was a great contrast to the rosewood EC model. Listen for the sustain of different guitars too. I owned a mahogany Martin Shawn Colvin special once and while it had a great tone I realised after a while that it had been built for less sustain than I wanted. Comes back also to what you play....are you a gutsy strummer or a soulful fingerpicker.

I get you on the lack of interest in dreads. I played electric for years before picking up the acoustic to play fingerstyle and a dread doesn’t interest me at all. Its relevance also depends on what sort of music you play, and obviously it is the go to guitar for certain styles. Something to consider when you look at different body sizes is the impact on the guitar’s sound. I just bought my first 00 and I its attack is noticeably faster than my larger (OM or SJ-sized) guitars.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
Great choice as your first guitar, i can't even remember what my first acoustic was now but anyway i did once own a OOOEC, it was the first acoustic i played and thought that's what acoustic guitars are meant to sound like, light and airy with a plummy bass response, loved everything about it apart from the V neck and that was what made me trade it with a friend of mine who still has it and loves it, otherwise it would still be with me. Enjoy the guitar cause they are a cracker!!
Hi BOOSE! Yes I understand, a 28EC as a first acoustic guitar may seem too much, but I wouldn't buy it if I was a beginner. I bought it as my first acoustic because after so many years I can appreciate a fine instrument for what it is and I think I know what to look for when buying a fine guitar. Although I didn't have my own acoustic, I always borrowed acoustics from friends from time to time so that helped me too.

Your description is spot on about its sonic qualities. Regarding the mod V neck, I have big hands and the neck feels normal if not small to me LOL I mean I can play barre chords with my thumb wrapped around the fretboard all the way up the fretboard like I do with my electrics, but I understand that the V neck can be a serious issue for some people with smaller hands. The only thing I am concerned about is whether pain starts to develop if I play for more than 1 hour straight playing barre chords the "traditional" way. So far no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
And after 20 years of playing it you will think that it was cheap.
Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Now that’s a beauty! Thanks for posting photos. Now you are official.
Haha thanks! Do I receive a badge of honor or something? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
I use GHS Phosphor Bronze 12s on my EC. Tried many others but i keep coming back to them.

I gave my D to my son, just too big. You might consider an 00 versus an OM. I find an OM not too much different form the 000, and the 00 a perfect size.

btw, Congratulations!
Hi dadio91, thanks for your recommendation, I'll try them. As for the D style acoustics it's not only the awkaward size, its their sound too. Whenever I played a D it had tons of volumes, that was good, but it was always "boomy", kind of muddy and definitely not as "focused" and "precise" as my EC28. Of course that doesn't mean that all Ds are necessarily like that and it's just my own preferences when it comes to how I'd like an acoustic to sound. Personally, I don't need that much bass, but I definitely want it to be tight and clear. The EC28 has the perfect bass amount and response for my tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Congratulations, what a great first acoustic. Well done too for buying something really good and buying used. I had a Martin EC for a while. Bought it used, enjoyed it, and eventually sold it with no money lost.

I strung my EC and other Martins with Martin PBs. I tried the 80/20s once and while they added brightness, to my ears they also sounded thin. But others have better luck than me.

For a nice contrast while staying with Martin my 2 cents worth is to buy something with a contrasting tonewood. My best Martin ever was a used koa OM-42 that sounded sublime and was a great contrast to the rosewood EC model. Listen for the sustain of different guitars too. I owned a mahogany Martin Shawn Colvin special once and while it had a great tone I realised after a while that it had been built for less sustain than I wanted. Comes back also to what you play....are you a gutsy strummer or a soulful fingerpicker.

I get you on the lack of interest in dreads. I played electric for years before picking up the acoustic to play fingerstyle and a dread doesn’t interest me at all. Its relevance also depends on what sort of music you play, and obviously it is the go to guitar for certain styles. Something to consider when you look at different body sizes is the impact on the guitar’s sound. I just bought my first 00 and I its attack is noticeably faster than my larger (OM or SJ-sized) guitars.
Thanks colins! I'll come back with a new post because you make some good points, but got to go for now.

Last edited by Peacemaker; 01-12-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 PM
Guest 33123

My first "good" acoustic guitar was a 1999 EC that I bought new. Play it in good health!
Old 01-12-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
My first "good" acoustic guitar was a 1999 EC that I bought new. Play it in good health!
Thanks J-Doug! Do you still have it? Did you like it?
Old 01-12-2021, 07:52 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
Thanks J-Doug! Do you still have it? Did you like it?
I traded it towards my 000-28VS. The EC was a very good guitar but the VS is outstanding.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Having just recommended GHS 12 PBs for the EC tonight I restrung it with Newtone Master Class Double-wounds 11 just to try them out. Wow! Think i may have new favorite strings for the EC. Just a tad lighter than the 12s but sound really great.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 01-13-2021, 09:13 AM

I’d stick with the Light gauge strings. That guitar doesn’t need mediums, most don’t IMO, they would dull the highs and diminish the tone.

I once recorded at a studio where the studio owner had an EC that was stellar. We used it on most of the acoustic tracks. They’re great guitars.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000-28ec, eric clapton, martin, ooo-28ec