The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 PM

Default Which amp tube for Godin A12?!

Hi guys!
I bought a godin A12 recently and now I want to replace my old digital amp with a tube amp. The thing is that I don't know much about which amp to choose and I didn't find anything on google about it... So I'm here to try to get help!

I have near 500$ to spend, I dont need something big, just an amp to hear my self play some rock while I'm singing with a microphone! I don't always need distortion! Well... I gave you the most information I was able to give you! If you have more question I will try to answer, but i'm newbie who wants to learn!

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 02-13-2020, 08:11 PM

I can only speak from my own experience. I have a Martin acoustic that I often play through a Bugera Infinium V5 amplifier. This amp has an attenuation switch that lets me select 0.1 watt, 1 watt, or 5 watts. I almost never use the 5 watt setting, and I rarely play at full volume on the 1 watt setting. For my purposes, 5 watts is way more power than I will ever need because it's just me, noodling around in my basement studio by myself. This amp cost me 200 bucks.

There are a number of tube amps in the <500 dollar range. I recommend that you take your guitar down to the local store and plug it in to as many of these amps as they have on the floor. They all have their own personality.

I usually play clean without any effects and my guitar sounds great with this amp. Sometimes I'll hit the chorus pedal and it will sing like a 12-string. I can get that tube break-up at low volumes and the sound is rich and full. Tube amps have a quality that solid state amps just can't quite duplicate. You're embarking on a great adventure. Enjoy.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:36 AM

Exclamation

We have no idea what sound(s) you prefer so head down to the music store and play through as many amps as you can.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:24 AM

For great tone and versatility I recommend:

Supro Bluesking 10
Supro Bluesking 8 (in this order too)

Blackstar HT5R
Blackstar HT1R

Fender Bassbreaker 07
Fender Pro Jr.

Vox AC10C1

Orange Micro Terror w/a 10" or 12" cab (I own one, great sounding head)

On a budget: The Bugera V5 (I own this too, but I find the amp quite dark with HB's but fine for single coils)

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amp, godin, godin a12, rock