The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM

Default 12-string scalloped vs non-scalloped stability

Hello! I recently bought a yamaha fg720s-12 at a great price ($380) and it sounds great. I will be getting it setup after another week or two of climatizing, etc. I did notice that there is also an fg820s-12(scalloped bracing) being sold because the fg720s-12 is now a discontinued model(it has non-scalloped bracing).

I tried out both models and both sound good but to me the 820s-12 is a bit louder and more "fuller"(different tastes and ears I know), but it costs an extra $70 which is still a good price for the quality on a budget 12-string. If I didn't know any better, I'd still be happy with the 720s-12. Before I decide whether or not to trade in and upgrade I'd like to ask a question though.

How is the stability of 12-string guitars with scalloped bracing in areas with more drastic weather changes? I live in Winnipeg, Canada and the winters can get pretty dry with the summers pretty humid so going to and from different jam/pratice spaces would see different changes in environment. Any of you ever experience issues with re-tuning, action shifting, buzzing, etc? I prefer to tune down to Eb or D for lower tension and playability which would seem to be easier on the scalloped bracing, but sometimes with lower tunings comes a bit more fiddling to keep things in tune during playing which is annoying during gigs especially with a 12-string haha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12-string, bracing, scalloped