The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2016, 07:57 PM

Default What is the value of this "Terada" Guitar?

Hi,

I found this guitar online and have been trying to find information about it and the name "Terada" but I haven't been able to find much. The name Terada is written vertically on the headstock which I couldn't find on many other Terada guitars. If anyone could tell me an approximate value of this guitar or any information about it (Build quality, year, woods etc.) it would be greatly appreciated.
Here are some pictures:
This one is of the sound hole but its hard to make out anything:

If the pics don't work, use these links. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Z...ew?usp=sharing
----
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Z...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks
Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 PM

Default Terada

I just wanted to welcome you to the forums.

From what little there is on the web it looks like one of the many MIJ offerings from the 60's or so.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:34 PM

Thanks a lot!
Do you have any idea of value or quality?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:15 AM

Ethan, it's worth whatever you or the person selling it can get for it. It appears to be an all-laminated wood guitar, so it's not going to command a high price. If it is actually all-solid wood, it's still not going to sell for much because it appears to have a rosewood top. Fancy as that appears from a visual standpoint, having a top made from such a dense, heavy wood is going to impede the sound quality.

So in practical terms what you have there is a utility instrument rather than a collector's item. If it sounds good and plays well, play it and enjoy it.

Edit: I just read where you wrote that someone else is selling the guitar. My advice would be to not buy it. If you're looking for a good value in a used guitar, look for a Seagull S6, which can often be found for around $300. Solid cedar top, laminated cherry back and sides. Much better way to spend your money.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 01-27-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:21 AM

Thanks so much for all the great information Wade!
I really appreciate you taking the time to write all that!

I am a new member of the forum, and I would like to say that I am very impressed with the community here, and both their knowledge and friendliness.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:27 AM

You're welcome, Ethan. I'm happy to give you what information I can, which in this case is severely limited.

whm

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 01-27-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:40 AM

'Terada' is a Japanese guitar factory. They obviously have made some instruments under the factory name. I believe it is the plant that did Epiphones
work when they were made in Japan. You might find that they sold under this brand name in Asia only. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:13 AM

yes , they did make Epiphones for a while and have made many other import brands in their factory too. I have played several and they have been reasonable guitars, although age had contributed to them needing neck re-sets. Woody sound, low on sparkle but not without their charm. Some of the cheaper ones had zero frets I think. I haven't seen one like this though. Is it really a rosewood top or is it dyed mahogany or similar?
The ones I have seen have rarely sold for more than £100 sterling but this one looks a bit nicer and with a higher level trim. I would still manage your expectations about value though to be honest.
Nice looking guitar though!
All the best
Pete
Old 01-27-2016, 07:15 AM

Smile

Does anyone think its a good buy for $250?
Thats what the guy is selling it for.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-27-2016, 08:19 AM

I actually owned a Terada Hummingbird copy back in the '70s. TBH it was pretty poor. I wouldn't buy one for $250 (say £175), my top end would be £100 if I was considering one but such a thing would hold no interest to me at the moment. You can buy a new PacRim acoustic for £125ish that will almost certainly be a better guitar than the Terada. Most Japanese instruments from the '60s were similar in quality to Indonesian instruments from the early 2000's (i.e. poor copies of American guitars). If you do want a 'vintage' Jap acoustic look for something from the '70s or later when the Japanese had got their act together and were making some good instruments. I have a 1984 (I think) Mountain D45 and it's an excellent guitar. It cost me £27.50 at a car boot sale.......
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-27-2016, 08:37 AM

Thanks a lot Sam, that's just the information I was looking for, I won't worry about looking into the guitar further. I just saw the guitar for sale online, and I wanted to know more about it incase I had stumbled across something great.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, it is much appreciated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
terada, value of guitar, vintage acoustic