The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 AM

Default 70's Aria guitar with Bolt on Neck

So, i found this guitar on a local forum, and i am considering buying it. The thing is, that i can't find any information about it online... I would appreciate any information or thoughts on the guitar.

I am personally a bit sceptical about the bolt on neck as i have never had an acoustic guitar with a bolt on neck. should i be sceptical?

Last edited by Skyhook33; 05-12-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Guest 1928

Some bolt-on neck designs work fine. This particular one is not known for being terribly robust. I've seen in most often on 70's/80's Epiphones, but it appeared on other imports as well. Without a heel holding everything together, the neck block can break loose allowing the neck to pull forward. They often have tremendously high action and often aren't worth the cost of repair.

I'd only consider it if I could play it first.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:05 AM

Looks exactly like the Aria 'John Pearse' model I owned in the late 60s and traded for a Yamaha FG180. The Aria wasn't much good, frankly; overbuilt, toneless and slathered in poly. Here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ar...e%3B1024%3B589
Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 AM

Default Aria

I have a late 60's Aria 12 that looks very similar and it's been a great guitar for the money. They were your average, if not slightly above, sixties/seventies MIJ box.

Most of them were pretty hefty, great for durability, sometimes not so good for tone, but every guitar is different.

The bolt on neck is a non-issue, IMHO. When you do your first string change it would be worth checking them to be sure they're snug. Don't overdo it, they used wood screws and you can strip the wood if you apply too much force.

I liked the zero fret, they used that a lot.

I can't tell from the picture, but if it still has the original adjustable bridge get rid of it, it's a tone killer. You can cut a piece of rosewood, or other hardwood, with a slot for the new saddle to drop into.

It also looks as if the tuners, or at least the buttons, have been replaced with....wood?

As far as info, I've looked and there's not a lot out there for Aria's from that era. You can perform a google search, but it's spotty. eMails to Aria don't get much response, if any.

But, if you get it at a good price it should make a good kick around guitar.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 AM

Thank you so much for your replies! The guy selling it wants around 225$ for it. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it after all. I might change my mind when I try it on Thursday. Depends on the feel.

I think the original bridge has been replaced, I will ask seller for a close up . Again thanks for the advice, it is highly appreciated! Any thoughts on the price?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhook33 View Post
Thank you so much for your replies! The guy selling it wants around 225$ Any thoughts on the price?
That seems a little high to me for that kind of guitar; unless it's totally mint & plays/sounds really good to you.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 05-12-2015, 02:26 PM

I've got an Aria, something or other, circa early '90's.
Spruce top, b&s lammie, bolt on neck.
The finish is REALLY thick, not much else to say really.
YMMV, perhaps yours is a different animal-----
Old 05-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Bought one because I liked the neck, no idea what it sounded like as it had no strings because the bridge was lifting off. But for $30...

Sounded bad, plywood all around. Put a different top on it, better but still not acceptable. May give it another try some day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic -electric, aria, vintage acoustic