The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk Sunburst

I found a nice little guitar on Craigslist. There isn't a huge amount of information about these out there. AG Magazine did a nice review with a video of Teja Gerken playing one a couple years ago. I'll add my two cents in case anyone else out there is curious.

I noticed this on Craigslist because I've been looking for an affordable, smaller guitar to take to certain gigs and for travel. I'd never seen this model before, so I visited a couple music stores here that carry Godin products. I found one at Artichoke Music, and I was was super impressed. Maybe the most surprising thing is the strong bass. It's got a lot more spunk than any other Godin acoustic guitar I've played — especially a few Seagulls I owned for a short time.

I got it for about $300 less than new, and it included the L.R. Baggs M80 and a Godin padded gig bag.

I used to own a nice little Gibson LG-1. This guitar is a lot like that tonally, and maybe a bit louder with a stronger bass. It also has the wider neck and slotted headstock. A great, classic look! The only thing I really don't like is the heel. It has that crude Seagull shape that you either love or hate. The action is a tad high, and I will be taking it in for an adjustment. Other than that, it is a guitar that can easily go toe-to-toe with the smaller Martin 15-series models or the Gibson blues boxes. That's just my opinion, but I own and have owned some very nice guitars. I wouldn't hesitate to take this one to a gig or try it in the studio. It goes way past the best-bang-for-the-buck category.

There's one over at Artichoke Music in Portland if you want to check it out — and yeah, that one is just as good as this one. In fact, it has a better set-up.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 PM

Very nice looking guitar. Cool pickup choice too.

I have the privilege of hearing S&P, Seagull, and Norman folk size guitars all the time. The local music store always has a few and I have several students who have taken my advice and purchased one. Almost universally the player likes the comfortable size, the ease of playing, and the tone. I keep a Norman around for visitors to play and as a student loaner/beater. One previous S&P folk I had got the whole, somewhat unnecessary, treatment of bone nut and saddle, ebony pins, Gotoh 510s, strap button on the heel, and a clear pickguard, K&K pickup...I was offered a price I couldn't refuse.

I do wish the factory would install a strap button on the heel as everyone seems to want one anyway. I get kind of tired of installing them. Otherwise they're pretty darn good right off the rack.

Last edited by Mooh; 02-15-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Afterthoughts, thought afterwards.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 PM

Congrats on your great looking guitar! I appreciate the helpful information. I enjoy my Seagull and wouldn't mind giving one of these a try!
2016 Godin S & P Woodland Pro Folk
2017 Martin Retro 000-15M ‘Burst
2019 Taylor BE 517e WHB Mahogany
2019 Taylor LTD 512ce / Cedar-Koa
2022 Gibson Original L-00 Sunburst
2023 Larrivee OM-40R / Rosewood
Old 02-15-2014, 11:37 PM

That is a great looking little guitar and from what you are saying it sounds as good as it looks. What are the tone woods in it?
Fender Baja Tele
Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnster View Post
That is a great looking little guitar and from what you are saying it sounds as good as it looks. What are the tone woods in it?
Thanks guys! I have been playing it all night while watching the Olympics.

It's all solid spruce/mahogany with rosewood bridge/board. The headstock has what looks like an ebony veneer. And I have no idea if the mahogany is really sapele. It has a pretty chocolate finish. Short scale & I think 1.72" at the nut. Here's the S&P specs. http://www.simonandpatrick.com/woodlandprofolkbst.htm
Old 02-15-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post

It's all solid spruce/mahogany with rosewood bridge/board. The headstock has what looks like an ebony veneer. And I have no idea if the mahogany is really sapele. It has a pretty chocolate finish. Short scale & I think 1.72" at the nut. Here's the S&P specs. http://www.simonandpatrick.com/woodlandprofolkbst.htm
Thanks! I'd love to check one of these out if I can find one to play....
Fender Baja Tele
Old 02-16-2014, 12:07 AM

Came really close to buying one of those once. No, twice.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post

Sounds like what I've been doing this week-end too

Congrats on the S&P. I don't think I've ever seen one with a burst like that before. I'm always keeping my eye open for the used S&Ps / Godin guitars. Enjoy!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 AM

I have the same guitar (with no electronics). I upgraded from my Seagull cedar folk. In the past few months I've been test-driving every other guitar (under $1,400) that I can get my hands on in anticipation of my next purchase. One thing has become strikingly clear to me... I am going to be hard-pressed to find anything I like better than this one without spending an awful lot of money. This guitar plays and sounds so good!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I have the same guitar (with no electronics). I upgraded from my Seagull cedar folk. In the past few months I've been test-driving every other guitar (under $1,400) that I can get my hands on in anticipation of my next purchase. One thing has become strikingly clear to me... I am going to be hard-pressed to find anything I like better than this one without spending an awful lot of money. This guitar plays and sounds so good!
Yeah! I agree. I think you can find other nice guitars in this price range, but to find one that does a similar thing you're going to have to spend quite a lot more — especially if you want solid wood, slotted headstock, a burst finish, and made in North America. A real step up in quality would be something like a SCGC 1929 00. That would set you back many times what this one cost, and I couldn't justify or afford buying one of those for what I need this guitar to do.

Somewhere inside this guitar are cost cutting measures (like the somewhat crude heel) Godin must take to sell at this price point. Whatever they are, they're not bothering me at all right now.

I'm looking forward to taking it over to The 12th Fret in Portland for a set-up this week. Last fall they worked on two guitars of mine, and they both came back playing better than I'd hoped.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:33 AM

Chuck,
That "crude heel" is really eating at you isn't it?
wondering what the issue is. Does it impede your playing?
Does it mess with the sound?
Are you concerned it will break down?
Do you just not like looking at it?
Old 09-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gath View Post
Chuck,
That "crude heel" is really eating at you isn't it?
wondering what the issue is. Does it impede your playing?
Does it mess with the sound?
Are you concerned it will break down?
Do you just not like looking at it?
Jeff, the OP started this thread in 2014. Gotta read the fine print,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Jeff, the OP started this thread in 2014. Gotta read the fine print,
It's OK. I'm still here. I can answer.

It wasn't "eating" me at all. I gave an honest description of a guitar I owned. The heel on these guitars clearly isn't something Godin takes time sculpting into a fancy shape. It is functional and utilitarian. That might matter to someone reading a review of the guitar.

I no longer own that guitar. I traded it for a nylon string after I acquired my CEO-7. A good friend of mine has it. However, I have a Normon B20 Folk. Same maker, same heel. I play that guitar daily and love it. The heel isn't an issue for me at all.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:44 PM

That sunburst is off center.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:45 AM

Yep, I saw that Barry, didn't bother me.

Last edited by Jeff Gath; 09-09-2017 at 09:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
godin, seagull, simon & patrick, woodland pro