The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Sold!

Sold my Seagull S6 a few months ago. Boy I miss it.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGull View Post
I have to agree. My first Seagull is an S6 cedar. I love that guitar! I wanted another Seagull for alternate tunings. I don't have money to buy a new S6 so I check CraigsList. After searching for 2 or 3 months I found an S6 Coastline Folk cedar for $175. I met the guy outdoors at a Dunkin Donuts, so I couldn't get a good idea of how it sounded. I knew it had the same neck and the same 1.80" nut. It's not bad but it lacks the low end "growl" the regular S6 has.
When I purchased my Seagull parlor at GC, it had DADGAD tuning. Sounded so good, I wonder if it wasn't made specifically with DADGAD in mind. I haven't learned to play that tuning yet, so I re-tuned it to standard for the time being.

"...'cause there ain't no one for to teach you no grammar."

Seagull Entourage Grand Parlor
Seagull S6 Original
2011 60th Anniversary Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM

I bought an S6 when I turned from electric to acoustic, back in 1994. Played it out - the cedar top wore so much that the sound hole started to change shape...big gouges in the top from heavy strumming, a few top cracks. I played it for hours every day, back when I was unemployed and supported myself by giving guitar lessons. It was also the centre of my social life back then - going out meant throwing the guitar in the car and taking off. I own a number of great guitars now, but that one is so special to me - I'll never learn so much on a particular guitar, and it was truly a friend through some difficult times. I think they're exceptionally well made guitars, and even though mine is now unplayable, every time I pick one up in a store it feels like coming home.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM

It sure is nice to see some love for the S6! Makes me feel like I made a good choice for my first guitar.
Mine is currently in for it's first setup. I am anxious to see what difference, if any, it makes.

71 Harmony Sovereign
Taylor AD27e
Yamaha FG-260 12 String
Yamaha FG-730S
Rogue Mandolin
Applecreek Dulcimer

Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naolslager View Post
better than my playing deserves.
That sums me up perfectly.

I've had the Seagull solid wood dread about a month and I love it. Woody. Amazing color. You can strum a big Em chord and it sounds like a grist mill turning. Just so deep and complex.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM

Broke some of the OP's rules to get this Seagull 20th Anniversary (Spruce & Maple):

I'm a raw beginner and wanted a decent instrument that I could grow with. Found this on a Craigslist 5 hours from me. A friend in the area did the face-to-face buy for me.

I'm not familiar enough with Godin's line-up to know if the 20th Anniversary was a special edition of the S6 or something else/more. Maybe someone can educate me.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Cheeky ... the S-6 and all Seagull dreadnoughts are basically the very same guitar from a build perspective, so the only difference would be the materials used.

The guitar you bought is (I believe) made with a solid spruce top with laminate maple back and sides.

If that's true, then it's closer the the Seagull "Performer" than the S-6 which is solid cedar top with laminate wild cherry back and sides.

Yours does have those really pretty gold tuners w/pearloid buttons though.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Many moons ago I opened an account on AG magazine's forum with the handle "alka seltzer" as a dig on Seagulls after I had a bridge lift on an artist model I had. It was unfair as they did great on the warranty claim. I owned a few and just never really liked them for some reason. I now know the reason, the 1.8 necks just don't suit my hands. Now that the slim necks are available I can fully appreciate Seagulls as really nice, Canadian made guitars for a great price. I currently own a SWS rosewood/spruce model that is beautiful and plays and sounds great.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

Last edited by Matt McGriff; 01-02-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM

I now own three Seagulls and I love them all! First in the lineup is a Seagull Grand Parlor Guitar... sweet and so easy to play. Recently, I also acquired an Artist Mosaic Folk with some cracks in the back. It plays and sounds awesome although I wish the cracks weren't there.

And lastly... a Maritime SWS Mini Jumbo. Great player and very great sound comes from this guitar. Seriously, for the money, I don't see how you can go wrong with a Seagull.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:37 PM

I love the natural elements models, with the wood binding, unique tuners, etc. but the neck width doesn't work for me. Maybe an S&P is a good alternative.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 AM

Default GASsing for another.

No other excuse except GAS but the Seagull virus has taken hold of me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
godin, seagull s6