The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 03:04 PM

Default Fender '80s California Series

I started to play in the early '90s, and I fell in love with acoustic guitars. At that time, I was looking for my first acoustic, and I remember I wanted a Fender, but there was rumors that Fender acoustic guitars were not good, so I bought an Ibanez. After that, I've owned Yamaha, Cort, Takamine, Gibson, and others, but this is another story.

Last week, while I was walking, I saw a guitar inside the window of a closed shop. It was a black acoustic with a cutaway, Fender branded, and the model name "La Brea" on the headstock. I did some research online, and I found it was a model that Fender produced through late 80s and early '90s. In addition to that model, I found that in those years, there were few other models of what was to be the California Series (Del Mar, Catalina, Concord, ...). Unfortunatley I was not able to found many info or specs about these, but I would be grateful if someone more experienced than me could shed light on these models, their characteristics and above all, if any owner could share some experience, how did they sound, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2021, 03:10 PM

I used to sell them. I remember the hype they came with--fender headstock, cool california names. However, they did not catch on at my store. I think they had solid tops and laminated backs and sides, but not sure.
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 10-14-2021, 03:19 PM

Thanks! Were some models superior to others, or were they different models but at the same level?
Old 10-14-2021, 07:22 PM

Fender needs to stick with electric guitars.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 10-14-2021, 07:34 PM

I still have an '85 Fender Capistrano dread, bought new, California series, made in Korea. Solid top, laminated rosewood B&S made to look like the back of a Martin D35, electric-style headstock, made to look like a Strat. I used it for busking in NYC.

It's not a great guitar by any means, but neither is it a terrible guitar; it plays decently, has a reasonable bass thump, but it's a bit too trebly for me on its top-end. I've sold off other cheap guitars over the years, but kept this one - nice to have a half-decent guitar around I don't worry about damaging, and I couldn't get much for it in trade or cash. Ironically, it's remained in good shape and I still play it every so often. When Fender tried a new line of acoustics that were solid wood a few years ago, I felt they didn't play or sound much different from my already aged Capistrano.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:29 AM

As far as I am aware, the La Brea model was added to the California series in 1986 [Fender Price List, June 86] and continued in production until 1994 [Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars].

The La Brea was mid-range model comprising all laminate spruce/mahogany construction with rosewood fingerboard and bridge, and was available in Black, Maple, Natural and Sunburst finishes.

Hope that helps,
Clive
Old 10-15-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALuth View Post
As far as I am aware, the La Brea model was added to the California series in 1986 [Fender Price List, June 86] and continued in production until 1994 [Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars].

The La Brea was mid-range model comprising all laminate spruce/mahogany construction with rosewood fingerboard and bridge, and was available in Black, Maple, Natural and Sunburst finishes.

Hope that helps,
Clive
Thanks! What could be a fair price in your opiniof for a La Brea model in average condition for its age?

Also, did those models come standard with or without electronics?
Old 10-15-2021, 12:42 PM

Fullerton,

Pickup and vol/tone controls were standard on La Brea.

As for price I’m not the best person to ask!
Last Blue Book price I know of (2012) was $140-$175 for average condition. Perhaps a better indicator would be to look at current prices for Fender Newporter and Rodondo’s of this era (which appear to be more numerous?) and add about 25%, but I could be talking nonsense!

Sorry I can’t be more help,
Clive
Old 10-15-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALuth View Post
Fullerton,

Pickup and vol/tone controls were standard on La Brea.

As for price I’m not the best person to ask!
Last Blue Book price I know of (2012) was $140-$175 for average condition. Perhaps a better indicator would be to look at current prices for Fender Newporter and Rodondo’s of this era (which appear to be more numerous?) and add about 25%, but I could be talking nonsense!

Sorry I can’t be more help,
Clive
Thanks Clive! You have certainly given me various information! By the way, I've never heard of the Blue Book.. what is it about?
Sorry, I'm pretty well versed on electric guitars, less on acoustics
Old 10-16-2021, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullerton View Post
By the way, I've never heard of the Blue Book.. what is it about?
The Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars (and its companion volume Blue Book of Electric Guitars) are/were a printed value guide covering most of the major manufacturers and quite a lot of smaller ones Each model is given a brief description and values for 100%, Excellent and Average condition, along with the last known MSR. A descriptive and pictorial guide of this grading system is given before the listings start.

Before the days of Reverb, eBay and a plethora of guitar sites covering all sort of makers all over the internet they were probably the quickest way of discovering the general specification and price range of the majority of instruments (The 14th Ed.for acoustic guitars, the last one I bought, listed over 7500 instruments).

Their critics would say that it was full of errors, that the values were out-of-date on publication and that many models were missing- probably all true to one extent or another. At the pace of change of used guitar prices over the last 15 years (or more), plus the rapidly accelerating rate at which manufacturers have released new models it would be impossible for any printed guide to keep up. However, although I principally use the internet for any guitar research, I do still find them useful (and despite what some would have you believe, not everything is on the internet), and besides it’s occasionally enjoyable just to browse a book rather than stare at a screen all day.

They did/do have a website which has I think basically replaced the printed guides (subscription based if I remember correctly). I looked at it some years ago and was disappointed and haven’t bothered since.

Sorry that was a bit of a ramble, but you did ask!

Cheers,
Clive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
'80s, california, fender