The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 06:20 PM

Default Delayed NGD - Maybe this is what I was after all this time...

Although I hadn't posted for a while, with a move and new job and all, I managed to move some guitars during my hiatus. Gone is the Yamaha CSF3M; I still regard it highly, but I eventually found the scale to be too short. And try as I may repeatedly, I just can't fall in love long-term with the tone of a Mahogany guitar. I think I've reached a point where only a particular set of woods will do: Engelmann top and Rosewood back. But I already have one fantastic custom instrument, so why another?

This particular one (Crafter Omega SR Premium) caught my attention a while back, when it was posted on the forum's auction section. The offer of free shipping from Asia caught my attention, and when I made an offer of a lower price, it was promptly accepted. So I took a gamble, already aware of Crafter's reputation for brightness.

To make a long story short, the Crafter has delivered on tone almost from day one. It has all the tonal characteristics you would expect of the Engelmann/EIR combo, and it complements the Worland like a Taylor does a Martin. (Hence my "-ish" descriptions on the sig.) The bass, while not quite as powerful as on the Worland, is still very punchy and useful. But the biggest surprise is that the overall volume/projection is almost as loud as the Worland that's been broken in for two years.

Many folks look for different wood combinations in equivalent brands/types for variety. Some others reach for difference sizes to break the monotony. For me, the change of pace I was hoping for all this time appears to be within a particular framework of the same woods and body size - with different brands and tonal focus. Between these two Engelmann/EIR OMs, I get the lush overtones and sweetness I always seem to crave, while alternating between warmth and brightness by switching the two.

Having had dozens upon dozen guitars pass through my hands, I should never say "never." But it wouldn't surprise me if I don't have any urge to buy "primary" acoustics for years to come, now that I have these two. For stage/plug-in, that's a different story.

Last edited by TokyoNeko; 06-15-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added link to forum's auction section
Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 PM

Can't say I know anything about the brand, but it looks nice. Congrats!
Old 06-15-2019, 07:43 PM

Nice guitar. Congrats.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:07 AM

Thanks. It's a cliché, but it does sound better than it looks.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 AM

I read about the brand going back a few years. It got some favorable reviews by experienced players on the forums. Most of those guys were/are in the UK so I guess they're distributed there. I have not seen one Stateside yet. Glad you found a keeper.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 AM

Beautiful guitar! Do you think it will open up over time? Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Great discussion; instead of variety of wood combination I’ve come to a similar realization that any precious time spent on an instrument without spruce/rosewood (or my 000-15m) is almost lost time and money, together with (for me) the Martin 000 size, no deep body variations because I need the punch.

Nice looking guitars/ it must be a rich desert of aural satisfaction.

Thanks for sharing
Old 06-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Looks great - therefore, since it sounds better than it looks, it is great! Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I read about the brand going back a few years. It got some favorable reviews by experienced players on the forums. Most of those guys were/are in the UK so I guess they're distributed there. I have not seen one Stateside yet. Glad you found a keeper.
From what I can tell, Crafter is not a very popular brand in North America. It does appear to have some following in Europe and South America, in addition to its native Korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Beautiful guitar! Do you think it will open up over time? Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Looks great - therefore, since it sounds better than it looks, it is great! Enjoy!
Some say the time a particular guitar sounds the worst is when it's played the very first time. If that's true, I have a lot to look forward to when it "opens up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Great discussion; instead of variety of wood combination I’ve come to a similar realization that any precious time spent on an instrument without spruce/rosewood (or my 000-15m) is almost lost time and money, together with (for me) the Martin 000 size, no deep body variations because I need the punch.

Nice looking guitars/ it must be a rich desert of aural satisfaction.

Thanks for sharing
Thanks for reading. Had I realized this sooner, I would be thousands of dollars richer. But then again, I got to experience all kinds of different guitars in the process.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:33 PM

More details to compensate for my less-than-skillful photography skills...

Last edited by TokyoNeko; 06-17-2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Formatting for better view
Old 06-17-2019, 04:57 AM

Never heard of Crafter, she's gorgeous! Enjoy!

Regarding the "wood rule" some of you have made for yourself, I have learned, over the years, and frankly this goes for everything not just acoustic guitars (electrics, amps, everything)- every instrument is only the SUM of it's parts. I will be shopping for a high(er)-dollar acoustic soon, and where in the past I THOUGHT I wanted a Martin J, or a Taylor, or Cedar-over-whatever, or hog under spruce, or WHATEVER-

-it all comes down to THAT guitar, on THAT day. If I pick up a Taylor that's spruce over walnut with a slothead, and it speaks to me, then that's the guitar I'm going home with, even if I THOUGHT I was looking for a Martin OM spruce over RW.

Of course, the wood doesn't matter as much in an electric (still matters, I just changed the neck on my strat and the tone changed),and with amps it's a little different because you're talking about speakers and tubes and cabinet size rather than woods, but EVERYTHING matters.... these things are more than the sum of their parts.

Glad to hear it sounds like you've found you're holy grail! We all look for it! Hopefully it STAYS your holy grail after the honeymoon is over! (and we've all experienced that too)
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Very pretty guitar. Lots of Crafters in the UK.

http://www.crafterguitars.uk.com/history/
Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Regarding the "wood rule" some of you have made for yourself, I have learned, over the years, and frankly this goes for everything not just acoustic guitars (electrics, amps, everything)- every instrument is only the SUM of it's parts. I will be shopping for a high(er)-dollar acoustic soon, and where in the past I THOUGHT I wanted a Martin J, or a Taylor, or Cedar-over-whatever, or hog under spruce, or WHATEVER-

-it all comes down to THAT guitar, on THAT day. If I pick up a Taylor that's spruce over walnut with a slothead, and it speaks to me, then that's the guitar I'm going home with, even if I THOUGHT I was looking for a Martin OM spruce over RW.
I don't disagree with that, as long as you're talking about guitars that you can audition in person. If you get to hear/play it for yourself, then the "wood rule" wouldn't apply as much.

In my case, though, I had to stick to the "wood rule." The Worland was a custom guitar, so there's obviously no trying it first. (I did get to pick the woods personally at Jim's shop.) And the Crafter was halfway around the world, so I had to buy sight unseen.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I have an online friend in the UK who loves his Crafter guitar. Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Very pretty guitar. Lots of Crafters in the UK.
http://www.crafterguitars.uk.com/history/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Congrats! I have an online friend in the UK who loves his Crafter guitar. Enjoy!
Thanks. Wow, 1/6 of all Crafters are sold in the UK? That's a pretty high percentage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion