The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2016, 02:10 AM

Smile Which string gauge is better for me ? 10-47 extra light ?

Hi everybody .
I have a godin a6 ultra. And its original strings that company suggest are 12-53 light strings . But its more stiff for me . My mean this gauge bother me . 😊
Have you any experience with the more light strings ? 10-47 ? Or 11-52 ? Which is better ? Does it works ?
Thnx alot..🌷
Old 08-18-2016, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

Hi, you have an acoustic guitar that is, I believe mainly intended for being amplified, and so won't have the top resonance of a more traditional design.

So, if you are intending it to be used as an acoustic guitar, you need, at least, light gauge (as specified) to move the top.

However, if you intend to use it as an electric guitar, then use whatever you like but I suspect that the "acoustic" sound will be negativity affected by electric gauge strings.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

The lighter you go, the thinner the tone and worse the pitch/tuning. 11's are usually what people go to when they can't comfortably play normal strings. I'd only recommended 10's if you have a disability/weakness. They usually sound pretty bad.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:07 AM

Try 11-52 and see if you like the tone. If it works for you, great - if not, go back up if you can. I have 11-52 on my J29, and I think they sound fine so far.

Godin makes cool stuff! Enjoy the guitar, my friend.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 08-18-2016, 05:26 AM

Might suggest Martin Monel custom lights. Good sound but with a soft feel and the winding alloy might work well with the humbucker.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:32 AM

I've used 11-52's with good results on dreadnoughts, compared to the traditional 12-54 lights.
Here's some on sale:
https://www.worldmusicsupply.com/mar...span%20strings
Old 08-18-2016, 07:05 AM

I'm not familiar with that guitar but you may want to have a guitar player you know or a tech take a look at it and see if it needs a setup to make it play easier. Lowering the nut slots, lowering the saddle and adjusting the truss rod all could help improve playability, if they are not set correctly.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 08-18-2016, 07:15 AM

I have an A6. It has a humbucker and an under saddle pickup for the " acoustic" sound, but I don't think the top moves much. It is built more like an electric. I have used their recommended 12-53 strings and electric strings in the 10-46 range. It sounds pretty good with all of them. It does not sound good unamplified even with heavy strings. The heavier strings produce a little better sound from the under saddle pickup, the lighter ones are easier to bend & generate more of an electric sound & feel. The strings need to have some nickel or stainless steel in them to get decent sound out of the humbucker. It is a pretty neat guitar. You can use the controls to blend the sound from both pickups to get the sound you want.

Last edited by Vol46; 08-18-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:58 AM

If you can't do .012s go to .011s. On acoustic, that's about as light as you can go and still get any decent sound out of the guitar. What you're trying to do with an acoustic is to transfer the energy of the vibrating strings to the top via the bridge to make the top vibrate. That, in turn, excites the air in the box and forces it out the soundhole. .010s won't generate enough tension to drive the top optimally. They're made for electric guitars.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:42 AM

I play mostly for myself, once in awhile I play at church. I use Martin 10-48's. Ultra lights. Easy on me, easy on the guitar. You do sacrifice a bit of tone, but in my case it really doesn't matter. So I go with ease on my and the guitar.

Dan
Old 08-18-2016, 11:01 AM

I use .011-.050 gauge and I am thinking of going to .010-.047
I have bad arthritis in my left hand now and cannot use medium gauge anymore.
I don't hear much difference in tone or volume but I usually play all alone.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
I play mostly for myself, once in awhile I play at church. I use Martin 10-48's. Ultra lights. Easy on me, easy on the guitar. You do sacrifice a bit of tone, but in my case it really doesn't matter. So I go with ease on my and the guitar.

Dan
Me too. My J-50 has had 10-47s for nearly 50 years. They work for me, and I'm not sure I sacrifice any tone. I do believe I could get better volume with heavier strings, but I don't need more volume.
et al
Old 08-18-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
If you can't do .012s go to .011s. On acoustic, that's about as light as you can go and still get any decent sound out of the guitar. What you're trying to do with an acoustic is to transfer the energy of the vibrating strings to the top via the bridge to make the top vibrate. That, in turn, excites the air in the box and forces it out the soundhole. .010s won't generate enough tension to drive the top optimally. They're made for electric guitars.
The A6 ultra is essentially an electric guitar. It is thick & relatively heavy, has no sound hole, & the top vibrates minimally if at all. It does have an under saddle pickup, but that is about the only thing it has in common with traditional acoustic/electric guitars. It sounds pretty good plugged in though.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali.abolfazli View Post
Hi everybody .
I have a godin a6 ultra. And its original strings that company suggest are 12-53 light strings . But its more stiff for me . My mean this gauge bother me . 😊
Have you any experience with the more light strings ? 10-47 ? Or 11-52 ? Which is better ? Does it works ?
Thnx alot..🌷
I don't know what a Godin A6 is, however I'll presume it's solid or semi-solid instrument with a piezo under the saddle. If that is the case then string gauge as zero effect...no appreciable effect on the tone, as the guitar is designed to be played 'plugged'.

Godin has 'probably' recommended '12s' because the guitar is set up for that gauge. If you drop to '10s', then you may need to raise the action and/or loosen the truss rod.

Play the gauge that's comfortable for YOU. Life is short...
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 08-18-2016, 01:52 PM

I use .011-.050 gauge and I am thinking of going to .010-.047
I have bad arthritis in my left hand now and cannot use medium gauge anymore.

i've got the same problem - years of playing are taking its toll

i am switching between Martin Flex Core .11s and D'addario Silk and Steel .11s

both are easy on the hands without sacrificing tone - the Flex Cores are more robust I find, especially for flat picking - if tuning down, you might have to adjust your neck to avoid fret buzz - my medium days are over...

also get some Guitar Hands lotion - reduces finger tip inflammation and eliminates friction while fretting - great stuff

the OP should check out the Flex Cores too

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
extra light, gauge, godin, strings