The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2022, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlG View Post
1. Here are the Black Angel and Sunrise side by side:

https://youtu.be/ypbj3wInkr8
Different guitars and pres, but the Angel holds up well. Sungha Jung (right) has in the past blended the Sunrise with the Oval Witz. I don't know if that was the case here and if so to what degree, but the Sunrise still shines through.

2. And here is a blend of the Amulet and Sunrise:

https://youtu.be/Zmc4yGcOQTs
Old thread, but I've been looking at trying the Black Angel after years of (successfully) using Rare Earth Blends. I still think the REB sounds great, but you know us players like to experiment!

Just wanted to say thanks to EarlG for posting these vids. The first one's so much fun! I need to listen to more of their music.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

I prefer the Black Angel over the REB. I wanted to love the REB, but thought
it was dynamically challenged......but has a nice tone. The BA gives you a
clean palate to start with, but less bass. Not a big deal, and I am usually
cutting Bass anyway. The BA works great with a full-bodied preamp like
a sunnaudio or Venue. I mostly used the BA in a Goodall Standard or CJ.
I like the BA enough to keep an Angel in the closet as
a backup. The BA's were hard to find when I was looking.

Since this thread started, I have used:
--, the Blackstack gives you the BA + bass. I used this for a while and keep a backup.
--I have a Sunrise in each of my gigging guitars. it brings out even more air and
dynamics than the BlackStack.

I would say any of the 3 are worth a try vs the REB.
Good luck.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Questions regarding the Black Angel: Is it easy to remove and replace? Can it be run without a preamp?
I'm looking for a plug and play option that would work for an open mic situation. That is put the pickup in (without removing strings), show up, plug into the board, and then take it back out when I get home. I wouldn't expect perfection in this situation (vs having the luxury of a preamp/set up time), but would like something that is "good enough"
Thx
Yes the Black Angel is easy to install and remove. You don't even have to loosen the strings. It comes with an instrument cable that plugs in to the pickup and runs out of the soundhole. (You also get and end pin jack and wiring harness so you have that choice too.) I have used the Black Angel at an open mic and experienced no problems.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static111 View Post
So I’m looking at a magnetic sound hole pickup for my Taylor GS5. Hoping Magnetic soundhole users can chime in. Oh and no I don’t want a k&k, trance or infinity matrix. I want a magnetic soundhole pickup specifically. I would consider the M80 or a Rare Earth blend of the price increase can be justified. Specifically for users of the M1 passive or Dimarzio angel or Black Angel. What kind of preamps are you using and what do you find helps you get the best sound. I had an M1a years ago that I liked I only got rid of it because I wanted more tweak ability than the built in pre provided. I’ve read a lot of threads on here but haven’t come across as much info as I would like. Merry Christmas y’all
You might want to consider the Mojotone NC1. I don't own one, nor have I heard one in the wild, but the demos are impressive. Here is Doug Young's review.

Last edited by rb1591; 11-28-2022 at 04:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification