The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Bourgeois Slope D

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a "gently used" adirondack top, hog 25" scale Slope D.

Trying to decide if I should pull trigger on the guitar without being able to play it? I also own a Bourgeois Vintage OM (which is excellent), which gives me a decent measure of confidence.

For all you Slope D folks, any positive thoughts you would care to share?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-19-2020, 08:06 PM

Default Bourgeois Slope D

My short scale Banjo Killer Slope D is the best guitar I’ve ever owned or played. Brilliant, perfectly balanced tone with a clarity that has to be heard to understand it. Every note just rings out, no matter how fast it’s being played. I thought my D41 was louder In overall volume, but at band practice the other night, with multiple people playing it, everyone agreed the Banjo Killer was louder and sounded better. I think the Banjo Killer Slope D is Dana’s best model. Being a short scale, does the model you’re looking at have the short-scale square head stock or the snake head? I just can’t bring myself to like the snake head!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 01-19-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

Mine is a Sitka/Mohog "Luthiers Choice" Slope D (don't think they do the "Luthiers Choice" anymore).

http://beta.bourgeoisguitars.com/gui...thiers-choice/

Bought off Ebay 15 years ago, one of my favorite guitars. Very simple in appearance, bound neck. Pretty much can cover all the bases if needed from flat picking, to strumming to finger picking. Wonderfull midrange push with a solid bottom and clear highs. Fantastic on stage, in the studio or my friends Sunday afternoon living room get together. Fills a niche for me that no other guitar can match.

I have yet to play a Bourgeois that didn't sound great.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:22 AM

I recently wrote a little about mine here. A couple weeks ago I visited a very well stocked shop and played everything they had, then played everything again and again. After many hours I walked out with a Bourgeois Slope D Standard with an aged Adirondack top and Mahogany back and sides, 25" scale.

In my opinion, it was the best guitar there. I really love it.

The notes don't blend together too much when flatpicking, but don't stick out and become raspy sounding when strummed either. It has just the right mix for me. It fingerpicks fine, but I didn't really compare it to other guitars with fingerpicking.

The bass is loud and clear and while the treble does cut, it still has a certain musicality in it. When playing notes on the high e string, a lot of guitars just make a piercing sound of the note being played, but with this guitar you can really hear the guitar and not just a steel string against a steel fret. Not sure if that makes sense, but it really stood out to me when A/B-ing it to other guitars there.

I love the nut and string spacing as well as the 25" scale and the compound radius they use, it plays really easy. But if I have any at all criticism, is that for my hands, some deeper necks on some guitars in the shop did feel slightly better for me. It's not a very flat neck, but I tend to like them a bit on the deeper side. I have fairly long fingers. But I've played this guitar for hours each evening since I got it and haven't felt any fatigue, so it's probably more a thing of getting used to it then anything.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
My short scale Banjo Killer Slope D is the best guitar I’ve ever owned or played. Brilliant, perfectly balanced tone with a clarity that has to be heard to understand it. Every note just rings out, no matter how fast it’s being played. I thought my D41 was louder In overall volume, but at band practice the other night, with multiple people playing it, everyone agreed the Banjo Killer was louder and sounded better. I think the Banjo Killer Slope D is Dana’s best model. Being a short scale, does the model you’re looking at have the short-scale square head stock or the snake head? I just can’t bring myself to like the snake head!

Yes it has the square head (like you, the snake head just doesn't do it for me). Have you had the chance to compare to Bourgeois standard dead?

Thank you!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
I recently wrote a little about mine here. A couple weeks ago I visited a very well stocked shop and played everything they had, then played everything again and again. After many hours I walked out with a Bourgeois Slope D Standard with an aged Adirondack top and Mahogany back and sides, 25" scale.

In my opinion, it was the best guitar there. I really love it.

The notes don't blend together too much when flatpicking, but don't stick out and become raspy sounding when strummed either. It has just the right mix for me. It fingerpicks fine, but I didn't really compare it to other guitars with fingerpicking.

The bass is loud and clear and while the treble does cut, it still has a certain musicality in it. When playing notes on the high e string, a lot of guitars just make a piercing sound of the note being played, but with this guitar you can really hear the guitar and not just a steel string against a steel fret. Not sure if that makes sense, but it really stood out to me when A/B-ing it to other guitars there.

I love the nut and string spacing as well as the 25" scale and the compound radius they use, it plays really easy. But if I have any at all criticism, is that for my hands, some deeper necks on some guitars in the shop did feel slightly better for me. It's not a very flat neck, but I tend to like them a bit on the deeper side. I have fairly long fingers. But I've played this guitar for hours each evening since I got it and haven't felt any fatigue, so it's probably more a thing of getting used to it then anything.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Thank you, very helpful!
Old 01-20-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Bought it, should be here by the end of the week.

Thank you for all your help!

Steve
Old 01-21-2020, 02:37 AM

That's great, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's great, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!
Any strings that have worked particularly well for you? I've been sticking with Ernie Ball PB medium lights lately.

Thank you!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:48 AM

I haven't had the time to try many yet, but currently have Santa Cruz Low Tension strings which I think are nice on this guitar.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I haven't had the time to try many yet, but currently have Santa Cruz Low Tension strings which I think are nice on this guitar.
Thank you!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your purchase. I got mine in November, a used AT Adi over Mahogany. It is 12 fret with slotted head. I live in Maine and brought it back to the mothership for a bit of love adjustment. Hopefully back this week. I put a set of J Pearse 80/20 which were a bit zingy at first but then chilled out nicely. I bought a set of Martin Monels to try as well.
Hope you love your new friend.
Cheers
David
Old 01-21-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I got mine in November, a used AT Adi over Mahogany. It is 12 fret with slotted head. I live in Maine and brought it back to the mothership for a bit of love adjustment. Hopefully back this week. I put a set of J Pearse 80/20 which were a bit zingy at first but then chilled out nicely. I bought a set of Martin Monels to try as well.
Hope you love your new friend.
Cheers
David
Thank you David!

Think I'll first try a set of Ernie Ball PB medium lights and the try mediums, see how that goes.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:58 AM

After trying quite a few different sets, I’ve settled on GHS Signature Series Bronze mediums on mine. They really bring mine to life and have a sparkle that just sounds magical.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-21-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Nice. Hope you enjoy it as much as I love mine.

I use JP 80/20 mediums on mine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion