The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other

Old 01-16-2020, 04:21 PM

Default Mark Hanson Basic Fingerstyle Books

I learned how to fingerpick 25 years ago to a bunch of his books, they were awesome. Now my son wants to learn, how cool is that? I found most of them, but the 2 that I want to start with I can't find!!! I probably loaned it out to someone years ago

1. Beyond Basics Fingerstyle Guitar
2. The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking - Found!

If anyone wants to pass these on to me for a reasonable price, let me know. Media mail should be a cheap way to ship.

Thanks!
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

Last edited by rschultz; 01-20-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:13 PM

That is so wonderful your son wants to learn finger style guitar! Seems like the trend is electronic music and other forms of "very foreign to me" music I will try not to comment on with negativism on your post, at least there is a "safe" place here at AMF. I remember when Disco took over in college in Austin and half the bars stopped hiring live musicians for obvious financial reasons, oops, maybe I just crossed my own line, lol.

But, what I wanted to say is if you cannot locate the music instructional books that helped you learn guitar way back when, then search YouTube for free finger style guitar lessons that are out there as I know there is so much good instruction on line. I know some good links for finger style blues, but that might not be your kid's deal. Of course there are all kinds of paid lesson's as well you can find, or a local in person instructor. Bottom line is my message is do not fixate on what you learned with and try and figure out what your son is into and help him locate the instruction that will motivate him to learn and enjoy his musical passion.

I have taught outdoor sports most my life, kayaking, ski, snowboarding, and know that we humans are all wired differently and we learn in different fashions, we simplify it and call it visual, kinesthetic and auditory in sports world, basically, nobody fits into a simple "box" of learning style.

So understand your son may or may not learn the same way you do. The best way to help him is to support him to pursue guitar in the way he may both enjoy learn the best, whether it is by books, video, in person, festivals or hands on guitar workshops learning from the masters.

Please excuse my in depth discussion and hope someone can help you locate these songbooks you are searching for. I personally am not a big "book" person, but I did learn my guitar as a young teenager on my own from Joni Mitchell songbooks I still have on my bookshelves today and no way am I throwing those out anytime soon. Good Luck!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:21 PM

mcmars

Good thoughts, thanks for the input. I think the first month or so is key... to see if it sticks. He's never been into music much, probably thinks its cool (he's 16) and would help pick up the ladies, who knows. But I can't ignore his interest, so we'll see where it goes.

Thanks again.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-17-2020, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

PM sent.

Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other