The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Default How often to clean a RainSong Guitar

I bought a RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret guitar last week from Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. Am traveling, and will do a proper NGD post with pics when I get home, but the care instructions say this...

Quote:
It is best to clean your RainSong after every use since your hands contain oils that can damage finish and frets. To clean your RainSong use a high grade, non-abrasive automotive detailing product such as Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Final Inspection 34 or Quik Detailer (www.meguiars.com), and a soft all-cotton cloth. Remember to inspect the rag to make sure nothing abrasive is on it.Other than that, your RainSong requires very little. Just make sure you play it and have fun!
I'm very careful to play with clean hands, and simply wipe down the strings on my guitars with a microfiber cloth after playing. Strings last a long time for me, and I've never had any damage to the finish or frets on my guitars. Under these conditions, is it necessary to use an automotive detailing product every time after playing? That sounds excessive to me, especially for a guitar "impervious to humidity and temperature changes."
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 02-04-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I bought a RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret guitar last week from Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. Am traveling, and will do a proper NGD post with pics when I get home, but the care instructions say this...

I'm very careful to play with clean hands, and simply wipe down the strings on my guitars with a microfiber cloth after playing. Strings last a long time for me, and I've never had any damage to the finish or frets on my guitars. Under these conditions, is it necessary to use an automotive detailing product every time after playing? That sounds excessive to me, especially for a guitar "impervious to humidity and temperature changes."
I keep a clean cotton wiping cloth in my gig bag that I use for my Rainsong and give the body and strings a wipe after every playing session. When I do a string change (every 2-3 months), I use a polishing cleaner on the body and neck of the guitar when the strings are off. I use one of the non-silicone Stew-Mac polishing cleaners as I can use that for poly and nitro finishes so it covers being safe and effective for both my Rainsong and my wood guitars.

She always looks purty
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-04-2020, 08:51 AM

I only occasionally run a microfiber cloth over my rainsong to clean the dust off of it. While I'm sure over the years the finish will wear in certain areas, I'm not concerned. Wear spots, nicks and scratches and the like are love marks, whether it be on your guitar or truck or whatever. Seeing a tool without love marks makes me sad.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post

I'm very careful to play with clean hands, and simply wipe down the strings on my guitars with a microfiber cloth after playing...Under these conditions, is it necessary to use an automotive detailing product every time after playing? That sounds excessive to me, especially for a guitar "impervious to humidity and temperature changes."
Was thinking the same thing...
Old 02-04-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 02-04-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
Wear spots, nicks and scratches and the like are love marks, whether it be on your guitar or truck or whatever. Seeing a tool without love marks makes me sad.
So true... gives it history
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-04-2020, 01:00 PM

It depends on so many variables. If I pick it up for five minutes when I've got a break, I won't wipe it at all. If I sit down for a longer session, I might get out the microfiber and just do a dry wipe. If I ever were to play out again, and do a 3-hour set where I was up on stage and sweating, I might get out some sort of cleaning solution. Skin oils and sweat can be corrosive, and some folks produce more corrosive stuff than others.

As has been mentioned before, some of this depends on how you want the guitar to look. Are pick marks going to drive you crazy, or are they the sign of a well-loved instrument? That will drive how often you get out a container of polish.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:27 PM

I've never used anything on mine except Windex and a paper towel. There are some spots on the fretboard (where my fingers are most commonly pressing) that are slightly shinier than the rest. Otherwise, it looks just like the day I got it.

If I end up scuffing it some day, I'll probably buff that out with the Meguiar's detailing products. But I haven't needed to so far.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I've never used anything on mine except Windex and a paper towel.
Be careful with the paper towels. They aren't super-abrasive, but they can cause surface scratches, especially with repeated use. That's why most people recommend using microfiber cloths.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

And the official answer from RainSong...

Hello Seann,
Thank you for contacting us and congratulations on your new RainSong.
It is not necessary to clean the guitar after each use. Clean it as you see fit.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Kind regards,
Dave
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber