The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 11:17 AM

The 000-18 is more versatile, and as a self-described noob this versatility is something that will work to your advantage. As skill improves, it comes with a desire to experiment with different musical forms.

I have an 000-15m and love it. I would not, however, want it to be my only guitar. There are times when I want to make music that the other guitars articulate better.

If you're going to play one guitar primarily, then the 000-18 is a no brainer. The 000-15m is the perfect second guitar, if that makes sense.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:36 AM

I'd keep the 18 and plan to purchase a 15 sometime down the road if you still want it then.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 12-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Ahhh, indeed. Welcome to the forum.

All sorts of advice and opinions here to draw from, but in the end none of us are in your shoes. Just remember, free advice is worth every penny. [emoji4]

If, for whatever reason - real or imagined, rational or irrational - you simply cannot bond with the 000-18, you won’t talk yourself into it with “what’s not to like?” hyperbole here, and you’ll likely wind up playing it less.

Spend time playing the -18, be honest with yourself, and decide - don’t get talked into or out of it. Then, no regrets, go forth, pick, and enjoy.

Martins are a great choice of guitar.

Though I am not surprised by AGF members recommending the 000-15M as a 2nd guitar, I think this may be a bit of a projection. If you already own a Telecaster, perhaps a decent acoustic and electric are sufficient for your ‘stable’ (and budget).
Old 12-07-2019, 12:09 PM

Keep the 000-18. It’s short scale, easier to play and will open up way better than an all mahogany guitar like the 000-15. I sold my 000-15m for a Sitka topped mahogany and haven’t looked back.
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 12-07-2019, 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=kilgoret78;6232177]

You are all right. That is exactly what is going on and it’s exactly what I was afraid of! The price difference is a factor. But so is tone and long term value of the investment. I don’t want to go ‘cheap’ and regret it but I also don't want to overspend to play on my sofa.

I plan to spend a bit more time with the 000-18 before making the decision to swap it for the 15.

This is going to sound super dumb, but the 18 seems almost too nice to play. I am afraid of damaging it (dumb I know).

One thing you said here^^^ about being "afraid of damaging it" is something really important that you need to think through very carefully.

It sounds like not much of anything, this feeling, but, this and all the other guitar forums are rife with "threads a many" from and about folks who bought really nice guitars and spent quite a large bit of money, relative to their standard of living per se', and who really struggled to enjoy the guitar for fear of damaging it, causing them to not play it very much, or take it anywhere and have fun playing out it at friends or relatives homes, or guitar jams and festivals, or out at family picnics or outdoor events like vacations and such. And in the end, the fear really consumed them and ruined their experience with the instrument, causing them to have to sell it or trade it, and then they ended up feeling bad and remorseful about having done so because they knew how wonderful a guitar it was for them.

So you really want to think this notion through and make sure it will not be an ongoing and on growing issue for you. If the 000-15 makes you feel better/safer in that regard, that alone would be a very important potential reason to make the switch.

This happened in real life/real time to one of my very best friends about 7 years ago now, and it still is a painful situation for them to process even now.

Ponder this issue carefully

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 12-07-2019, 12:33 PM

mcduffnw above makes a great point about your fear of damaging it which equals “playing” it. With a mat finish the 000-15m is the opposite of a show piece. Just the dark brown color alone makes me feel relaxed and at ease with the instrument. I would never call it a beater but I am certainly not afraid to leave the house with it and play it where ever we end up.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Hands down, the 000-18. I've owned about every Martin there is (including being a dealer in the 70s and 80s) and I finally settled on a 2014 000-18 as the perfect guitar for me. I just don't think you can get any better for the money, especially if you like mahogany.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I doubt you will ever regret having an 18.
If the 18 you have works for you then keep it, and every time you think about a 15, put $5 in a jar.
Then at some point you can have both, and imo they are different enough to justify having both.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 12-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF! This is a wonderful community and we will help you spend more money than you should on a great guitar and other stuff!

Ok, so...

- 00018 is a definitive Martin - one of their very best classic instruments.

- their 15 series is fantastic. Not as iconic as the 18, but no slouch for sure.

- I recommend trying to get over the 'I'm not worthy' part of the decision.

That leaves the 'did I make the right decision for me?' If you're still wrestling, I recommend taking the 18 back to the store to A/B them for your own piece of mind. And by 'A/B' I of course mean 'A/B/A/B/A/B' several times.

But all else being equal, if it were me, I'd keep that 18 and enjoy the heck out of it.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 12-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=mcduffnw;6232316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoret78 View Post

You are all right. That is exactly what is going on and it’s exactly what I was afraid of! The price difference is a factor. But so is tone and long term value of the investment. I don’t want to go ‘cheap’ and regret it but I also don't want to overspend to play on my sofa.

I plan to spend a bit more time with the 000-18 before making the decision to swap it for the 15.

This is going to sound super dumb, but the 18 seems almost too nice to play. I am afraid of damaging it (dumb I know).

One thing you said here^^^ about being "afraid of damaging it" is something really important that you need to think through very carefully.

It sounds like not much of anything, this feeling, but, this and all the other guitar forums are rife with "threads a many" from and about folks who bought really nice guitars and spent quite a large bit of money, relative to their standard of living per se', and who really struggled to enjoy the guitar for fear of damaging it, causing them to not play it very much, or take it anywhere and have fun playing out it at friends or relatives homes, or guitar jams and festivals, or out at family picnics or outdoor events like vacations and such. And in the end, the fear really consumed them and ruined their experience with the instrument, causing them to have to sell it or trade it, and then they ended up feeling bad and remorseful about having done so because they knew how wonderful a guitar it was for them.

So you really want to think this notion through and make sure it will not be an ongoing and on growing issue for you. If the 000-15 makes you feel better/safer in that regard, that alone would be a very important potential reason to make the switch.

This happened in real life/real time to one of my very best friends about 7 years ago now, and it still is a painful situation for them to process even now.

Ponder this issue carefully

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
You may want to consider getting a carbon or carbon/composite guitar sometime in the future that you can take anywhere with little fear of damaging it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Personally i think you would regret getting rid of the 18 more if you did that it is by all accounts a better guitar than the 15 and is probably also a better long term investment
Old 12-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoret78 View Post

One additional factor in my decision is being a kid of the 90s many of the greats played 18 series Martins. Kurt Cobain, j Mascis, Lee Renaldo, Elliott Smith (same D18 that Kurt used on MTV unplugged). The 000-18 feels like I own a piece of history.

I am going to drive myself nuts!!!! 🙃

funny that you mentioned not wanting to damage the guitar , and Lee Ranaldo in the same post

a well built guitar can take much more " abuse " than most people think . don't ever be afraid to play it as hard as you can

and my vote is for the 18 . the one that I have my eye on , is the 1937 Authentic model . That one is going to have to wait until after Christmas though . . .
Old 12-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF, Kilgoret.

I’m biased. I have owned and played 000 18s since 1973. My first Martin was a 000 18. My ears are flat-out used to what an 18 sounds like. I’ve played several 15s, and I like them. But I think the 18s are more versatile. I currently have 2 main guitars I shuffle between—a 65 000 18 and a more recent J 50. I can’t see selling either. I’ve got other guitars that get played far less often.

Oh, play the thing. You’ll get a ding or two. So what?

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 12-07-2019, 04:10 PM

J, Kurt, Lee and Elliot would all say go with the 18! It’s louder. Especially J!!
Old 12-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I would keep the 18. You might outgrow the 15 or want more tone later on down the road. You can always throw Silk and Steel strings on the 18 to mellow it out or a good set of round cores.

Of course the suggestion to keep the 18 and later on get the 15 is the standard AGF response and should be adhered to as a member here,

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, 000-15, 000-18, martin