The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-28-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Calling all Greenfield Owners

I just secured a build spot for a Greenfield G3 for delivery this year. I'm seeking some advice on woods from any AG members who own this model. I love smaller body guitars particularly 12 fret instruments. The G3 has a 14.75 lower bout, a 25 inch scale and 13 frets to the body. It will fit very nicely on my left thigh as I play classical style. I play 80% fingerstyle but Carter style solos are starting to appeal to me. I tore a nail completely off a few weeks ago on my right hand so this is how I have been playing.

I am confident I will get trebles to die for regardless of my wood choices but we are up against the laws of physics on basses. My Maingard OOO has very loud and crisp basses which I attribute to the very thick body, the doubled sides, the spruce top, the BRW back and sides and the inestimable skill of Marc Maingard.

What G3 wood do you owners have and how would you characterize the resulting bass performance?

My current choice if I don't receive any advice would be BRW or African Blackwood back and sides with an Adi or European spruce top. I'm sure I'll get a chance to ask Mr. Greenfield's advice but I'd like some additional opinions if there are any out there.

Thanks
Cincy
Old 03-28-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I'm not a Greenfield owner, so feel to disregard my following thoughts. The G3 is not an overly small guitar, being between a 00 and an OM. I’d have no concerns about getting a balanced response (bass, mids, trebles). I’d think the question would be what type of bass response you want. Personally, with a fairly shallow depth and the G3 body shape/size I wouldn’t suggest a really dense wood like ABW, but in any case I’d follow the luthiers advice whatever he recommended after a discussion of the tone and responsiveness goals.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 03-28-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

I love Michael's guitars. My suggestion would be to get something that complements your other instruments - assuming you have no intention of getting rid of them.

I tend to think this way. Get a Spruce/Rosewood guitar first then get something that is tonally more complex/lush and then something that is more fundamental/drier.

1st - Spruce/Rosewood
2nd - Redwood/Walnut or similar
3rd - Spruce/Mahogany or Spruce/Ebony or Spruce/Maple

You get a tremendous amount of versatility and the tonal qualities of the instruments will be different enough that you won't get tired of the sound. No matter how good an instrument is - most people want something new after a while. This strategy helps avoid that.

So that would be my recommendation. Getting different body sizes is also a way to inject notable differences between your guitars.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:38 PM

The quality of the advice I get on this forum is always well thought out and relevant. Thank you all!

My three current instruments are all European Spruce / Brazilian. They share some characteristics that I love but are vastly different in tone. I expect the Greenfield will be different also but in ways that preserve some or all of the qualities I love: fat, three dimensional, shimmering trebles with plenty of overtones and crisp, sustaining, warm basses that blend. That is what we will try to achieve in the G3.

Cincy

Last edited by Cincy2; 03-28-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Have you considered Redwood/Malaysian Blackwood? I have a Schwartz in that combo which is spectacular, and has been described as "Greenfield-like" in tone.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:17 PM

Congratulations! The G3 is an awesome model, you're gonna love it.

As for woods, definitely worth getting Michael's input if you're commissioning directly from him. FWIW I tend to favour the classic rosewood/spruce combo (as per my G2.2) but have tried a mahogany G3 that was a LOT of fun, to the point where I'd seriously consider mahogany for 'something different' out of this smaller-bodied beast. Very snappy :-D

Enjoy the journey, keep us posted!

Joel
Old 03-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
I love Michael's guitars. My suggestion would be to get something that complements your other instruments - assuming you have no intention of getting rid of them.

I tend to think this way. Get a Spruce/Rosewood guitar first then get something that is tonally more complex/lush and then something that is more fundamental/drier.

1st - Spruce/Rosewood
2nd - Redwood/Walnut or similar
3rd - Spruce/Mahogany or Spruce/Ebony or Spruce/Maple

You get a tremendous amount of versatility and the tonal qualities of the instruments will be different enough that you won't get tired of the sound. No matter how good an instrument is - most people want something new after a while. This strategy helps avoid that.

So that would be my recommendation. Getting different body sizes is also a way to inject notable differences between your guitars.
Good advice!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:17 PM

Michael's guitars have plenty of punch, depth and definition, and I would strongly recommend spruce and rosewood. If you buy more guitars from Mike in the future, you can venture into fancier/more unusual combos -- but for your first G I think you'd be most impressed and satisfied with the classic spruce/rosewood combo.

Last I heard Mike had some fine cocobolo... Darker rosewoods are nice, too, as they blend well with the armrest and binding.

Congratulations for your upcoming guitar. Looking forward to seeing photos of it.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:39 AM

Congratulations! I haven't liked the sound of Greenfields I heard in ABW so I would gravitate towards BRW if shipping the guitar isn't an issue

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-29-2018, 12:12 PM

After consultation, the choice is Alpine Spruce and Brazilian. Now excuse me while I post my Kidney on eBay. I'll open a build thread once we get going. The delivery is probably late this year.

Cincy
Old 03-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
After consultation, the choice is Alpine Spruce and Brazilian. Now excuse me while I post my Kidney on eBay. I'll open a build thread once we get going. The delivery is probably late this year.

Cincy
I have played a few Greenfields but have not owned one. You really cannot go wrong with the combo you have chosen and I understand that you can live with only one kidney. Hopefully you will find some inorganic materials to sell instead! Congrats and I look forward to the build thread.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Hello Everyone, this thread is timely for me. I was just about to post a similar one as I am also on Michael Greenfield's build list for this year and was looking for some input on a few option/feature choices.

For the wood choice combo I think I am leaning heavily toward adirondack&mahogany. I've always had rosewood guitars and appreciate the complexity and sustain, but in recent years have come to really enjoy the woody warmth, clarity and fundamental characteristics of mahogany instruments. From the examples I've heard, Michael just seems to perfectly nail the balance of all of these qualities I associate with mahogany while at the same time capturing the best parts of the natural reverberation and complex overtones one finds in with rosewood guitars.

As for size- the G2 looks just about right for me. I like the slightly longer scale length for low altered tunings. Joel Delin's fan fret G2 looks and sounds amazing and in particularly persuasive for me on this model. The depth of the voice, the way the string energy and intonation hold up so well even in extremely altered tunings.

I have more questions on various options, but I don't want to hi-jack this thread.

I've been an on-looker for many years, but this is my first post on this forum. Thanks everyone for contributing to such a great resource.

Josh
Old 04-04-2018, 09:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Josh,
Ask Michael if he'd think either Engelmann or German would be good with the Mahogany. I personally prefer Engelmann as it really sweetens up the tone.

Also, if you are considering Mahogany - there are a range of similar tone woods that are also quite fun. Walnut, Higuerilla (really beautiful stuff), Koa, and a few others.

As always, stick with what the builder has experience with. Almost all of my customers go for Spruce/Rosewood and as much as I enjoy that combination, I like Mahogany backed guitars just as much. I'm currently building an Adirondack/"Tree" Mahogany for a guy and I'm absolutely thrilled to be building with this wood for a change. Congratulations on the build - Mike builds wonderful instruments.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the advice Simon.

I'll definitely be continuing to pick Michael's brain and use his expertise on the wood choice subject. From reviewing the various output of his I've seen over the years, as far as experience with wood types goes, it seems he has extensive experience with everything.

Funny you mentioned adirondack and "tree" mahogany as it is a particular recent example of a greenfield with that combo that i think sways me to mahogany. Staggeringly beautiful sound. That along with several other mahogany type examples of his I've heard. Brooke Miller's G4 for example which is Sapele I believe, which is also just completely incredible.
Anyway, I don't think that my budget will allow for the "tree", but i am interested in all of these other types of mahogany - sinker, fallen giant, etc.

Exciting to be at this stage.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:31 AM

Default Greenfield G3

Hi Cincy2
are you happy with your Greenfield G3?
What wood combination did you order?
I missed one, it’s out of the market now...

Best
Harald
mailte: [email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop