The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-04-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Recording examples of Boxiness, distortion, harshness, traincients, and more?

Unfortunately, being a big time novice in the recording field, my understanding recording terms is very weak.
Descriptions can be helpful, but often do not tell the entire story. Descriptions can be misunderstood. How does that go? A picture is worth a thousand words. I am thinking that a Recording might also be worth a thousand words as well?
Jim1960 started a great threads started on SDC & LCD mics for acoustic guitar( to help the new comers).
* I thought it would be great to start a thread that gives real time recorded examples of terms.
Bob Womack gave me a nice description of Boxiness
"Boxiness" refers to a midrange fullness and some harmonics in that range."
Would it not be great to show recorded examples of Boxiness verses a non boxiness recording.
There is so much we could add to this..that would help the novice recordist in learning exactly what goals they need to accomplish and how to achieve them.
If we had recorded examples as an example of the difference between capturing low end and not. Mid forward and not. Treble...or adding "AIR"
And all those wonderful terms...that as of yet do not fully register to a person like myself.
I truly believe that Hearing all of these real time examples would greatly benefit many in understanding the differences that need to be adjusted.
We could even add examples of adding EQ to a specific passage.
If you guys like this idea...I believe that All recorded examples should be short in nature. So that the recorded landscape-differences becomes crystal clear.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Not a bad idea but what you listen with (your playback system) has a very big part to play on how things will sound.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-05-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Not a bad idea but what you listen with (your playback system) has a very big part to play on how things will sound.
Exactly. The weakest sister in most home studios is the monitor chain.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Exactly. The weakest sister in most home studios is the monitor chain.
But I don't we mean to send out the message that there's no point in trying learn to hear without great monitors in a well-treated space.

Couch Standards
Old 10-05-2020, 12:33 PM

Learning to listen is probably the area of recording myself I have found hardest - until you have someone point out a particular issue sometimes it’s easy to miss. I certainly understand where the idea stems from and no doubt it would be helpful over time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-05-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
But I don't we mean to send out the message that there's no point in trying learn to hear without great monitors in a well-treated space.
Of course. Learning how to compensate/2nd guess less than ideal monitor systems is part of the recording/mixing process.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I am so happy that many of you liking this concept. I honestly feel that if we can compile enough recording examples that it will extremely beneficial to the beginning recordist. I know it will for myself.
There is no question that listening environment an playback systems will make a big difference.
However, I have always felt that one can still hear a difference even over Good computer speakers(Mac) or inexpensive Auratones speakers(like we did in the 70's and 80's). There is a truth that is revealed in simplest form sometimes.
In Blind high end microphone tests, I have personally been able tell which one was which. And I don't even have that great of an ear.
What I need to learn though, is what will make a guitar or voice stand out or detract. Most importantly--- Why? Being able to differentiate is one thing. Learning how to correct or optimize is another ability.
The big problem with listening...is we get caught up in the music and the guitar. I now realize, that the player and his guitar generally reigns over anything else. If I hear a great player, with a good tone and a great composition...I am more likely not to realize what recording problems there are.
My hope is to learn and understand what I should be listening to.
I also want to point out, that regardless of what may be considered optimal, there are those musicians who might counterdict what the norm likes. In any of the great Champions I have known throughout my life...there have been those who totally broke the rules and still flourished. In fact, their breaking of the rules was a game changer. I am a strong believer that there is no absolute one way of doing things. Thank goodness for that...how boring that would be anyway if we all did things one way.( Of course I say this...because well....I am a rule breaker. LOL)
Anyway...I am really Looking forward to the examples that will be coming! If we are able to pull this off, this will most certainly be a game changer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD