The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-02-2020, 09:18 AM

Default New recording landscape - be gentle . . .

I have a question regarding feature/function options for a basic recording platform.

Dynamics:
- New player (6 months)
- D28 MD and CEO-7 acoustic guitars
- neither have electronics
- Will use both strumming and finger-picking

Goal:
To record only my own guitar tracks for personal review and potential sharing.
- Primarily just a guitar track, but I may be able to convince my wife to add a vocal overdub at some point for a couple of songs.
- The vocal will very likely be added after the guitar track is laid down.

Question:
After quite a bit of research I have settled in on purchasing a bundle with a Focusrite 2i2, 3rd generation audio interface + 1X AT2020 microphone and cable.

I am trying to determine if the SOLO version of the 2i2 will likely meet all my needs going forward given the marginal difference of only $50 between the two boxes. The only differences between the two boxes are:
SOLO has 1 mic and 1 instrument pre-amp, 1 XLR and 1 Hi-Z analog inputs.
2i2 has 2 general pre-amps and 2 XLR + 1X 1/4" combo analog input (mic/line/Hi-z). The 2i2 also has a volume control on the headset jack on the unit - the SOLO does not.

I don't envision playing with or needing to record two instruments simultaneously. And, one mic input seems OK to record just the guitar, but I can't relate to any noticeable difference between recording one mic or two for a single guitar source (yet).

Also, if I record a guitar track on the one SOLO mic input, can I come back and record a vocal track form that same mic to lay down on top of the guitar track with post-recording software? If so, the SOLO may cover my needs forever (I am 70).
But, I typically am one who would normally pay $50 for the extra features, even if I only use 1 mic, just in case I might need the other features in the future.

Any thoughts will be appreciated on these questions and others I may have not considered.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

For the nominal difference in price, I'd suggest getting the two pre-amp model. You may not see the need nor have the desire for it right now, but the opportunity to create recordings with a stereo image as opposed to mono, is something you'll likely want to do in the near future.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-02-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
For the nominal difference in price, I'd suggest getting the two pre-amp model. You may not see the need nor have the desire for it right now, but the opportunity to create recordings with a stereo image as opposed to mono, is something you'll likely want to do in the near future.
So, I assume if you record as "stereo" with one mic you just get a left and right channel with the same signal/image?
Old 10-02-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
This is good advice - stereo recording of acoustic is something you may well want to try as it offers a lot more in sound quality IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-02-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtoy View Post
...Also, if I record a guitar track on the one SOLO mic input, can I come back and record a vocal track form that same mic to lay down on top of the guitar track with post-recording software?
Yes, but you don't put the vocal track on top of the guitar track. They're entirely separate tracks, but you can play them back together. This is actually the best way to record guitar and vocal (or any two audio inputs) because you can then control each track separately, especially the volume. This is how you get a good mix. When you're finished and satisfied with the mix, you can do a final mixdown, which basically "plays" the tracks into a single stereo file that you can then share or put on a CD, whatever.

The "software" (DAW) is the key part to all this, and there are lots of choices, but they all do pretty much the same thing. I think the Scarlett comes with a "Lite" version of one DAW or another. That's what I started with. Later I bought Cubase Elements for 80 bucks -- a midrange DAW, I guess. I'm still using that.

BTW, I've got the Scarlett 2i2. I have never used both inputs at the same time. But then, I record using synth a lot more than guitar, and I'm not a vocalist. The synth goes right into the Scarlett.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Yes, but you don't put the vocal track on top of the guitar track. They're entirely separate tracks, but you can play them back together. This is actually the best way to record guitar and vocal (or any two audio inputs) because you can then control each track separately, especially the volume. This is how you get a good mix. When you're finished and satisfied with the mix, you can do a final mixdown, which basically "plays" the tracks into a single stereo file that you can then share or put on a CD, whatever.

The "software" (DAW) is the key part to all this, and there are lots of choices, but they all do pretty much the same thing. I think the Scarlett comes with a "Lite" version of one DAW or another. That's what I started with. Later I bought Cubase Elements for 80 bucks -- a midrange DAW, I guess. I'm still using that.

BTW, I've got the Scarlett 2i2. I have never used both inputs at the same time. But then, I record using synth a lot more than guitar, and I'm not a vocalist. The synth goes right into the Scarlett.
THANK YOU for that simple, but precise explanation.
Well done.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
This is good advice - stereo recording of acoustic is something you may well want to try as it offers a lot more in sound quality IMO.
Thanks- that was some input I was looking for . . .any comparisons out there I could look in to? (hear in to?)
Old 10-02-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks- that was some input I was looking for . . .any comparisons out there I could look in to? (hear in to?)

All I can offer up is my own recording journey on my YouTube channel which is all stereo miced

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-02-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
All I can offer up is my own recording journey on my YouTube channel which is all stereo miced
Well, I can't imagine improving on that . . .
Old 10-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a question regarding feature/function options for a basic recording platform.

Dynamics:
- New player (6 months)
- D28 MD and CEO-7 acoustic guitars
- neither have electronics
- Will use both strumming and finger-picking

Goal:
To record only my own guitar tracks for personal review and potential sharing.
- Primarily just a guitar track, but I may be able to convince my wife to add a vocal overdub at some point for a couple of songs.
- The vocal will very likely be added after the guitar track is laid down.

Question:
After quite a bit of research I have settled in on purchasing a bundle with a Focusrite 2i2, 3rd generation audio interface + 1X AT2020 microphone and cable.

I am trying to determine if the SOLO version of the 2i2 will likely meet all my needs going forward given the marginal difference of only $50 between the two boxes. The only differences between the two boxes are:
SOLO has 1 mic and 1 instrument pre-amp, 1 XLR and 1 Hi-Z analog inputs.
2i2 has 2 general pre-amps and 2 XLR + 1X 1/4" combo analog input (mic/line/Hi-z). The 2i2 also has a volume control on the headset jack on the unit - the SOLO does not.

I don't envision playing with or needing to record two instruments simultaneously. And, one mic input seems OK to record just the guitar, but I can't relate to any noticeable difference between recording one mic or two for a single guitar source (yet).

Also, if I record a guitar track on the one SOLO mic input, can I come back and record a vocal track form that same mic to lay down on top of the guitar track with post-recording software? If so, the SOLO may cover my needs forever (I am 70).
But, I typically am one who would normally pay $50 for the extra features, even if I only use 1 mic, just in case I might need the other features in the future.

Any thoughts will be appreciated on these questions and others I may have not considered.

Thanks.
Quote:
if the SOLO version of the 2i2 will likely meet all my needs going forward.
First : here in lies the Rub,,,,, the problem is it is vary hard to accurately forecast what ones "recording needs" or desires will be going forward .

But even if you only ever record solo guitar never mind possibly adding a vocal.

Almost all solo guitar recording veterans record solo guitar in stereo 2 mics which means two mic pres.

So even if your budget restraints limit you to one AT 2020 (for now) do your self a favor and get the 2 mic pre FocusRite unit for the extra $50 consider it future proofing insurance .

I am not sure what you mean by "but I can't relate to any noticeable difference between recording one mic or two for a single guitar source (yet)."
But there is a significant difference if you listen back on a two speaker playback system (any 2 speaker playback system) including most computers, all headphones and ear buds, autos,,,,,virtually everything, except a functioning Jukebox or perhaps an elevator.

Sound 101 :
#1 A mono guitar recording (sans any effects trickery) will be centered in the sound field of any 2 speaker playback system.
A stereo recording will be spread out more left and right in the sound field.

#2 In a room you do not actually hear a single guitar in mono, you have two ears and because of room reflections and psychoacoustics, you hear it more or less in stereo.
So by extension a stereo recording is arguably more like what you are actually hearing live "in the room".

And if you ever do talk your wife into laying down a vocal. Yes with a DAW ("digital recording software" as you call it ) you can dub the vocal and have two mono tracks but they will sound funny if you pan one left and one right, so you will likely pan them both center which works.
But the reason to eventually get two mics is IMO it will sound better with the guitar recorded in stereo with two mics and paned Hard left and right and the vocal in mono panned straight up the center

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-02-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

If you don't want to go the DAW route, as some of us old schoolers don't, check out the Tascam DP24sd.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Although I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 usb for my computer, I rarely use it. I like using a Zoom H5, which is a portable recorder, and get as far away from my computer as possible. I use 2 AT-2035 mics to record instrumental solo acoustic guitar. After I do a few recordings I upload the recordings from the Zoom H5 via a usb connection to my PC and then eq/edit with DAW software.

Recently I started recording in a spare bedroom which, although is not a treated room, is a lot better than other rooms I have recorded in. When I retire I plan on making some portable gobos (sound "traps") as other members have.

I've learned that you can spend $,$$$'s on guitars and recording gear but you are only going to sound as good as your recording space lets you.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
First : here in lies the Rub,,,,, the problem is it is vary hard to accurately forecast what ones "recording needs" or desires will be going forward .

But even if you only ever record solo guitar never mind possibly adding a vocal.

Almost all solo guitar recording veterans record solo guitar in stereo 2 mics which means two mic pres.

So even if your budget restraints limit you to one AT 2020 (for now) do your self a favor and get the 2 mic pre FocusRite unit for the extra $50 consider it future proofing insurance .

I am not sure what you mean by "but I can't relate to any noticeable difference between recording one mic or two for a single guitar source (yet)."
But there is a significant difference if you listen back on a two speaker playback system (any 2 speaker playback system) including most computers, all headphones and ear buds, autos,,,,,virtually everything, except a functioning Jukebox or perhaps an elevator.

Sound 101 :
#1 A mono guitar recording (sans any effects trickery) will be centered in the sound field of any 2 speaker playback system.
A stereo recording will be spread out more left and right in the sound field.

#2 In a room you do not actually hear a single guitar in mono, you have two ears and because of room reflections and psychoacoustics, you hear it more or less in stereo.
So by extension a stereo recording is arguably more like what you are actually hearing live "in the room".

And if you ever do talk your wife into laying down a vocal. Yes with a DAW ("digital recording software" as you call it ) you can dub the vocal and have two mono tracks but they will sound funny if you pan one left and one right, so you will likely pan them both center which works.
But the reason to eventually get two mics is IMO it will sound better with the guitar recorded in stereo with two mics and paned Hard left and right and the vocal in mono panned straight up the center
Thank you for this. It clarifies most of my questions and concerns in a comprehensive manner.
I do see the differences now and am headed towards a 2 mic environment. Your explanation of the nuances between a single and dual mic playback environment are spot on.

thanks!
Old 10-03-2020, 10:31 AM

Just a plus one on all those that said having two mic inputs is well worth the extra $50.

And there's nothing wrong with the choices you've made so far for hardware to do what you want to do right now. You'll want to use some software to work with that, which is "DAW" part others are speaking of. There's a fine thread here on choices others have made for DAW software elsewhere in this subforum.

I happen to like the power that even a modicum of understanding of DAW software gives one. If you aren't interested in that, another solution that works well with an iPad (if you have a recent one around) is the Izotope Spire. Alas the Spire seems out of stock right now too, but the recording quality and ease of setup for what you are asking to do right now is very good. Yes, it relies on software, and to summarize my review elsewhere here is that software is based around making a specific way of working simple and other choices not so much. However, that products focus in quite at your current desires.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD