The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-01-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default slap back echo question

I'm recording a song that is like a basic 50's rock tune. if there's slap back echo on the lead vocal, should the backing vocals have that too, or does it get too muddy. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 10-01-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I'm recording a song that is like a basic 50's rock tune. if there's slap back echo on the lead vocal, should the backing vocals have that too, or does it get too muddy. Thanks.
Completely just me but, I avoid any spacial FX on background Vox

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-01-2020, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

That's an interesting point of view, Keywest. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 10-01-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
There's only one way to find out. Do a mix with it to see if you like it or not.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Thank RRuskin--didn't like the slap back echo on the backing vocals. It indeed did "muddy the waters."
Old 10-02-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Thank RRuskin--didn't like the slap back echo on the backing vocals. It indeed did "muddy the waters."
Now you know.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Assuming you're doing the slap with a plugin, you may want to try a couple things.

1. Experiment with the low-pass filter. Maybe bringing it way down, below 2K or even into the high hundreds. You may find it gives you a nice depth without as much clutter. Sam Philips might have done this if he had been able to.

2. Dial in a little feedback. Sam did, sometimes. With the LP filter, every repeat will be a tad duller than the previous. Just like tape!

Couch Standards
Old 10-02-2020, 10:56 AM

Nothing wrong with effects on backing vocals, but delay would be best left for the main vocal track alone.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 10-02-2020, 10:59 AM

Some pretty dogmatic responses, but this place can be like that. So not rock 'n' roll.

Couch Standards
Old 10-02-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Group the vocals to a buss, and apply the slapback echo there. Set the time from between 80 and 120ms, and the feedback, so that there is ONE repeat, with it's volume just under the original note. Then high pass that buss channel starting at about 15K bit to take out the low frequency buildup, and as Brent Hahn say low pass the top end, to get the dark Sun Records sound. I've heard it said that nothing went over 12K on Sam Phillip's Sun Records recordings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD