The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-01-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
That’s hilarious and 100% accurate.
Even though I hate those Stillers, I have lots of friends from the area.
It’s a great city with great folks who don’t speak too good.
Unfortunately, the Pittsburg-ese sifts over into places like Youngstahn and dahn the river to Steubenville.
For those who don’t know, the Stillers and the Brahns had a huge rivalry ‘til Art Modell took the Brahns to Baltimore and they became the Ravens.
Pittsburg-ese is the only dialect in the U.S. where a statement ends up sounding like a question. They describe a jerk or a useless person by the phrase “he’s miserable”.
Pittsburghers also call groups of other Pittsburghers, “Yuns”, which is the shortened version of you-uns. No need to use two syllables when one will suffice. If a player has a knee injury, it’s simply stated “Big Ben is ott this week, he’s got a knee.”
Other phrases like “ he wokked intoda’ enzone” we’re properly depicted in the video provided.
Speaking of which, what's up with those Ravens? I heard they got beat pretty bad but they're still #2 in the power rankings? Not only are they 2-1 whereas there are other teams in the AFC behind them at 3-0 but they got beat pretty handily by KC IIRC. I'm calling shenanigans.

EDIT: for those who don't know about the Steelers/Browns rivalry the "classic" rivalry still exists in sort with the "original" Browns who moved to Baltimore. The present franchise in the city of the burning river (and the diabolical debate) is simply viewed as an expansion upstart of JV quality at best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic