The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-23-2020, 02:16 AM

Default Building a Workbench

As the title implies I am looking to build a relatively simple workbench with a bench vise (or 2).

I have been trying to find downloadable plans to try and give it a shot building it myself.

Any known sites or links where I can find such a thing?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:20 AM

Hi Nahil,

In YouTube, the words build, work and bench pull up all kinds of videos.

I don't know much about the subject, though. Someone else can probably point out better examples.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
Hi Nahil,

In YouTube, the words build, work and bench pull up all kinds of videos.

I don't know much about the subject, though. Someone else can probably point out better examples.
Thanks Norman,

I have seen videos but was just wondering if there are any plans out there to help me through with specific dimensions.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:35 AM

Here's one that is simple: https://www.finewoodworking.com/2009...is-one-is-easy

Just about every woodworking magazine (Wood, Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking, Woodworkers Journal, Woodsmith) have websites and sell plans (or have article links) and workbench plans are pretty common. Just requires a bit of searching within the sites. If you have a Woodcraft shop where you live they will have plans and the hardware parts you need. The woodworking supply companies, (Rockler, LeeValley, Highland Woodworking, Woodcraft, and others) also sell plans and the hardware. The vise requires some specialized parts.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I'd suggest looking here:

The New Yankee Workshop - I built this bench years ago, very sturdy, has held up well, simple construction. Plans are downloadable, about $15, the book is available on Amazon, used, for about $9. The original video/TV show is also available to help with the build.
https://www.newyankee.com/product/workbench/

Woodsmith Plans - from Woodsmith and Shopnotes magazines. Good publications, they've been around a long time. Their plans are well written, broken down into stages, looks again like they cost is about $15
downloaded.
https://www.woodsmithplans.com/categ...der_by=&page=2
Old 09-23-2020, 08:53 AM

If you're looking to build a bench for luthier work, many build a bench not much bigger than a guitar body so you can walk around three sides while working on the instrument. A larger cabinetmaker's bench is good for truing stock, planing, etc.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
If you're looking to build a bench for luthier work, many build a bench not much bigger than a guitar body so you can walk around three sides while working on the instrument. A larger cabinetmaker's bench is good for truing stock, planing, etc.
Yes I was thinking of a small island setup to give me ease of access to all areas.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:51 AM

I've built so many work benches you'd think I'd have something useful to say. But, each one has been very different. I can't imagine that a single set of plans from any source would account for the fundamental issues of intended purpose and available space. Some of the videos I've seen on YouTube have been rediculous.

As for purpose, the bench you build for building or repairing guitars would be very different from the one you'd build for repairing furniture. The available space will dictate whether you build it along a wall or free-standing in the middle of the room. Also, the type of top you'll need depends on whether or not you intend to pound things on it.

I once built a golf club-making and repair shop with benches around the outside of the space and a central island open on three sides and with a desk attached to the fourth side. I should add that I'm one of the worst carpenters on earth, so no particular talent was required other than advance planning, a circular saw, a powered screw driver and lots of glue.

Among the things to consider is the most efficient use of wood. If your dimensions aren't a comfortable division of the size of the available wood, you can easily spent twice the amount of money that you need to. And then there's the issue of lower shelving and drawers, which never seem to fit perfectly no matter how you do it.

About all I can conclude from my vast experience is that after you build your first bench you'll know how to build your second one.

Last edited by AX17609; 09-24-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Wink

I built one of these
https://www.instructables.com/id/Bui...ers-workbench/
Turned out pretty well and you don't need a bench to do it!
You may need to include some diagonals to stiffen it up if you are doing energetic stuff.
Periodically you will need to nip up the nuts, especially as the humidity changes
Old 09-24-2020, 09:04 AM

I realize the OP is likely interested in the whole project of building a bench - but an alternative concept is to simply buy one pre-fabricated, or even buy the leg/support system - and build/buy the benchtop separately.

For my reloading bench, I bought some a sturdy prefab leg system, and build a bulletproof (pun intended) top for it. It was an easy, easy project - is super strong and stable, and cost me less than buying the materials to build the whole thing from scratch.

Just a thought.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:30 PM

Since I am very tall, my workbench is built about 6" higher than "standard" - I hate hunching over while doing a project. It also serves as my reloading bench. The next guy that owns this house and my shop is going to wonder unless he is well over 6 feet too, but he can figure out how to take those extra inches off the legs.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:34 AM

Default DIY Gobar deck that doubles as a work table

For something that small I’d suggest getting creative and making something that fills several functions.

For instance, I made a go bar deck using two layers of MDF for the top and bottom and used steel pipe for the sides. I often put it on the floor to use it as a small work table. I need to add feet to keep it level but when I use it for its main function I place it on a carousel. Clamps suffice for holding things down; I have a vice on my full size workbench that is hard mounted.

I also found a cheap folding work table at Harbor Freight for $20. It’s stable enough for light duty tasks.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 09-27-2020 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 09-26-2020, 01:34 PM

Go to lumberjocks.com and type in “workbench” and see some of what others have done. U can also join for free and ask questions if you’d like.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:32 PM

The last one I built I cheated and bought a bracket kit like this. It simplified the connections and made the bench super strong and rigid.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...WBSK/205177374
Old 09-27-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckroast View Post
The last one I built I cheated and bought a bracket kit like this. It simplified the connections and made the bench super strong and rigid.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...WBSK/205177374
That is not cheating, that is smart.
Most everything, someone somewhere has thought of it before.
Copy, borrow some, and/or expand upon.
Smart.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic