The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 04:29 AM

Default Difference between Southern jumbo true vintage and Cheryl Crow.

Hi can someone list me the difference's in the Gibson Southern Jumbo between the True vintage and Cheryl Crow editions.
I know the Cheryl Crow has the slim neck profile and different tuners but I'm unsure about bracing and type of adhesive use.
Also if anyone has played these together please relay your opinions.
Cheers Mic.
2019 Gretsch 1955 Vintage select White Falcon
2019 Fender American Pro Tele.
2015 Gibson L9
An Old Banjo and a couple of Uke's
Old 09-18-2020, 05:11 AM

Micster, I like modern Gibson acoustic guitars a lot, but am not as knowledgeable about them as the SERIOUS Gibson guys are. So I forwarded your post to a friend of mine who can probably tell you what color shirt the GibsonMontana plant manager was wearing on the day each one of these guitars rolled off the assembly line.

Okay, so I’m joking about the shirt color, but only slightly. When any of the serious and knowledgeable Gibson fans on this forum see this thread you’ll get your answers.

As an Alaska resident, my own field of expertise tends to run more towards stuff like glaciers, earthquakes, snow, frostbite, hypothermia, more snow and the best way to set up a home studio in an igloo.....

Anyhow, someone will come along to give you the information you seek here soon enough.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-18-2020, 06:29 AM

The Southern Jumbo TV had a Sitka top, while the Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo had an Adirondack top. I've read that the TV had bracing similar to an Advanced Jumbo with hide glue construction, but don't quote me on that.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:45 AM

Both the Gibson and SJ TV have the forward shifted AJ style bracing as does, I believe, the J35. There have been several Sheryl Crow SJs and I am not sure what the latest version is. But if it mimics all but the first it will be a square shoulder natural top/Country & Western version. It would be typical for this guitar to have the AJ style bracing and a Sitka top very likely nuked.

Last edited by zombywoof; 09-18-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:52 AM

zombywoof, you’re correct: the modern version of the Gibson J-35 does have a version of the scalloped forward bracing of the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. The only difference in the J-35 is that the bracing pattern has been modified to accommodate the shorter scale length of the J-35.

whm
Old 09-18-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
The Southern Jumbo TV had a Sitka top, while the Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo had an Adirondack top. I've read that the TV had bracing similar to an Advanced Jumbo with hide glue construction, but don't quote me on that.
Hmmm i thought the Southern jumbo TV had an Adirondack top.
2015 Gibson L9
Old 09-18-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Both the Gibson and SJ TV have the forward shifted AJ style bracing as does, I believe, the J35. There have been several Sheryl Crow SJs and I am not sure what the latest version is. But if it mimics all but the first it will be a square shoulder natural top/Country & Western version. It would be typical for this guitar to have the AJ style bracing and a Sitka top very likely nuked.
The Sheryl Crow model i'm talking about is the round shouldered southern jumbo like the J45 but with parallelogram inlays on the neck. The model has an Adi top.
Cheers Mic.
2015 Gibson L9
Old 09-19-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
zombywoof, you’re correct: the modern version of the Gibson J-35 does have a version of the scalloped forward bracing of the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. The only difference in the J-35 is that the bracing pattern has been modified to accommodate the shorter scale length of the J-35.

whm
Wade can you tell us more about the modification to the bracing?
I have a 45TV with AJ bracing. Since it is short scale it should have the same type.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2020, 05:11 AM

bump. Anyone know the difference in bracing between the two?
2015 Gibson L9
Old 09-24-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

whm
What is truly amazing about the original AJs is that the plane marks on the bracing of all known surviving examples is apparently the same indicating that one hand voiced them. The true shame about the Bozeman-made J35s is that with the exception of an occasional Limited Edition CS guitar (a 2103 short run based on an early-J35 comes to mind) they are structral clones of the J45 TV.

Last edited by zombywoof; 09-24-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicster View Post
bump. Anyone know the difference in bracing between the two?
Both the J45TV and SC guitar have the same scale so the bracing footprint and bridge position will be the same. So what differences you hear will be a matter of different body shape and those you normally get with any hand finished guitar when the work is done by different hands.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:41 PM

Cheers Thanks for the input and clarification guys.
I'm just trying to get my hands on a good used Adi topped j45 or round shouldered Sothern jumbo with hide glue construction but without a baked top.
2015 Gibson L9
Old 09-25-2020, 05:11 PM

Just let me attest that the SC SJ is well worth the price of admission. One of the best guitars I have ever played. Across the board. Mine has the Trace Amulet (most of which is wasted on me, as I play mostly unplugged) and has whatever "it" is.
2013 Guild Orpheum Orchestra (sunburst mahogany)
2002 Martin OM-28v
Martin CEO-7
2009 Alvarez-Yairi DYM-95SB
2006 Alvarez-Yairi FYM-95
1979 Alvarez-Yairi DY-11
1976 Yairi YW-600
Gibson Hummingbird "Mapleburst"
2007 Gibson J-45 TV
2013 Gibson Sheryl Crow SJ
Old 09-26-2020, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
What is truly amazing about the original AJs is that the plane marks on the bracing of all known surviving examples is apparently the same indicating that one hand voiced them. The true shame about the Bozeman-made J35s is that with the exception of an occasional Limited Edition CS guitar (a 2103 short run based on an early-J35 comes to mind) they are structral clones of the J45 TV.
Im not sure about this. I’ve played modern J35s along side my J45 TV. The J35 does not sound remotely close to the J45 TV.

I’ll check the specs, but my own ears will not let me believe it even if the specs be the same, science be ****ed.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Default J-35 TV

I have to agree that the J-35 TV and the J-45 TV sound different. I own both guitars and they are two different sounding guitars.
I was under the impression that the two were braced slightly different but
I guess I will have to look inside to see If there is indeed a difference in the bracing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion