The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-07-2010, 03:33 PM

Default OK I am Going To Take The Plunge

I am deciding on which kit to get. Stew-Mac or LMI. Serviced or not, not sure. This is my first effort so I think the LMI serviced might be the best choice. I know I want the OM or 000 with Hog and sitka but not sure about tuners. Any thoughts for a first-timer? Also, besides the materials and tools, is their a kit that has the glues and finsihes etc? Give me the scoop, please. Thanks. Scott

Taylor GSrc K&K pure- joy
Breedlove OM/SM Atlas Retro
Martin LXME- indespinsable
Alvarez- 50 smackers

www.austintistic.blogspot.com
Old 02-07-2010, 04:16 PM

Scott, none of the vendors that I looked at supplied glues or finishing supplies. I've used Titebond for everything except the bindings. They were plastic, so I used Weld-on 16. My kit was pretty well serviced from Stewmac. Fretboard radiused and slotted. I did have to install the rosette, but that was easy. I don't remember what all the servicing does, but the vendors are pretty similar. Stewmac didn't include tuners. I'm still trying to decide which to get. I'll follow your progress to see what you came up with.
Don't forget, you need to let the wood acclimate to your house/shop for a while before working it.
Good luck with your build.
Bob
Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 AM

I haven't seen any kits with glue or finish.

I use standard white PVA glue and a few drops of CA for fret dots

as for tuners, don't be going for the crazy expensive ones until your building merits it.

pretty much any sealed tuners will do the job. have a look at Bezdez on eBay. really good tuners for well under $20 a set which WORK and look great.

as a first time builder be aware that there are a bunch of luthier tools which cost much more than the equivelent tools that cost MUCH less at home depot etc.

finish too. I've used quick drying water based lacquer from a hardware store that cost 1/3 what Stewmac's colortone costs and it does the job just as well.

if you can possibly buy supplies from NON luthier places then you will save a fortune.

a 10mm bradpoint drill bit (for the tuners) will cost pennies in Home Depot compared to an arm and a leg from stewmac et al

nut files?

use a hacksaw blade and welding torch cleaning files.

fret ends?

use a regular triangular file with on e edge ground off so it won't scrape the fretboard.

I got a crowning file off ebay for 1/4 what stewmac/LMI etc charge.

you know what, I'm tempted to start a thread on cheap workarounds using regular tools!!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
you know what, I'm tempted to start a thread on cheap workarounds using regular tools!!
Please do! I'm reminded of the freakin' $19 plastic head hammer from several of the luthier supply houses. It can get absurd.
Bob
Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Boomer,
I am at the same point as you in deciding on a kit. Also take a look at KMG "Success kit". He sells a set of tools/jigs/clamps and such for $300, but I have been looking for "workaround" tools and tool plans for making my own to fit the bill. Thanks Martin for your post on alternate tools!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair