The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Of those two? Neither... all my experience with both those brands is that they are tragically overbuilt and not responsive at all...

Check out the Alvarez Masterworks BG model... ALL solid woods; mahogany b/s with spruce tops... excellent fit and finish - herringbone purfling, Waverly open-gear tuners and a REALLY nice hardshell case... ~$650!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-24-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
JP Cromier (a great Canadian guitar player) is high on Recording King guitars. Here's video of him playing a RD328? against a 15 year old Martin D-28CW. I have to say it sounds good but I prefer Eastman's thermo-cured dreads to RK or BG. Playing starts around 3:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD061N_ciTg

I cannot figure out how to imbed a YT video to save my life?
I saw this today too. Aside from his enlightening comparison and appraisal, his rant landed well, I thought. I liked how giddy he was over the orange RK too.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderboltfan View Post
I saw this today too. Aside from his enlightening comparison and appraisal, his rant landed well, I thought. I liked how giddy he was over the orange RK too.
Yeah...it's cool how a seasoned guitar veteran such as him can get so excited over a $150 all laminate guitar. But I guess if you're looking for a little blues box on the cheap it would certainly fit.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-24-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Of those two? Neither... all my experience with both those brands is that they are tragically overbuilt and not responsive at all...

Check out the Alvarez Masterworks BG model... ALL solid woods; mahogany b/s with spruce tops... excellent fit and finish - herringbone purfling, Waverly open-gear tuners and a REALLY nice hardshell case... ~$650!!!
Looks sweet, my dude, but I really need that 1 11/16 nut.

All the Eastman's with 1 11/16" are the Gibson clones (I think) so they don't fit the bill. Probably a BR40 or bust.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I cannot figure out how to imbed a YT video to save my life?
Hi Jim,

UncleJesse gave you great help, but if you want to read the directions in our FAQs, they're right HERE. If I can help you, drop me a note.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

There are a couple of used Martin DM on Reverb if you can push your budget by about $75.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-24-2020, 04:45 PM

Default Larrivee

I think either brand will be fine, best to play first if you can.

But I'd be looking for a used Larrivee D-03 at GC or Reverb.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:57 PM

My local guitar shop has both blueridge and recording king but I find that in this price range there are better choices. Just from comparison in the local store I'd rather go home with a Guild Westerly Series or a Sigma. I think that in the US the Sigma brand are called AMI and their DM-18 is pretty close to the real thing.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:05 AM

I noticed many responses compare brand xx to a Martin. Why not consider the bluegrass standard and look for a used Martin ? A lightly used DM, DR or a D16 will easily fall into your price range.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:19 AM

I picked up a Recording King RD-310 Adirondack/Mahogany, solid woods, bone nut & saddle several years ago from Elderly’s, it’s a great guitar with no issues.
I think most would like it if the name was covered.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezeweggie View Post
I noticed many responses compare brand xx to a Martin. Why not consider the bluegrass standard and look for a used Martin ? A lightly used DM, DR or a D16 will easily fall into your price range.
OP wanted to be <$700. There is one D-16 on Reverb for $700 that has had some repairs... might not be a bad option, work looks pretty good on it. But the rest of those models, even used, fall outside of the stated price range... most of the D-16s are over $1k.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
Hi gang,

I'm looking to purchase a low budget (<$700) dread with a fast neck, 1 11/16" nut and the 'bluegrass' look and tone so I can start attending some local jams. I'm a bit puzzled by all the model numbers in the Recording King and Blueridge lines and would appreciate your input here.

I *think* that the Recording King Dirty Thirties Dread models work for this? Thoughts?

On the Blueridge front, it seems that the BR40 is
the right one to be checking out?

I'd really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Check out the line from Breedlove (organic series I think) ... All solid woods and great bang for your buck.

As mentioned here as well the Alvarez masterbilt (Edit: Masterworks series) are stellar guitars for the price.

Hope this helps.

Happy shopping!

Nahil.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
OP wanted to be <$700. There is one D-16 on Reverb for $700 that has had some repairs... might not be a bad option, work looks pretty good on it. But the rest of those models, even used, fall outside of the stated price range... most of the D-16s are over $1k.
Really ? I played a DM at Guitar center in Lancaster pa. Asking price $450. Found another on Craigslist in Pottstown PA for $400. I settled on a D16GT for $300 locally on Craigslist. Still have it. DRS2's usually show up at GC for around $600. Just gotta look around and be patient.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion