The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Default Classical picking advice?

Trying to get my classical triplet picking down (similar to 2nd part in Asturias) I don't know the technical name for the picking but its one note with the thumb and then three with r m I on the high E string. I have been doing this technique for many years, but still cant manage to get the high E to ring out as loud as I would like it. Having longer nails helps , I am just wondering if adjusting my hand position or something like that will help. its a pretty vague question, but if anyone has any advice or videos they can direct me to it would be extremely helpful

Thanks =)
Old 11-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

The word is "tremolo". There are very good youtube videos you can look at that explain the technique.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-07-2014, 11:38 AM

That's the word I was looking for! thank you! I kept thinking rasqueado but I knew that wasn't it. I'm the guy everyone hates because I have been playing guitar for over 20 years and I have no idea what anything is. I guess that's what I have you guys for =) Thanks again
Old 11-07-2014, 12:21 PM

There r YouTube videos for sure but I have been taught to use a metronome and play p,a,m,I on the same string smooth and steady. Then add an emphasis to each finger as u go through the sequence. For example, press p harder and then the others normal. When u get to "a" the following play through then emphasize it and so on....

Think Pami, pAmi, paMi, pamI....

Follow that with speed bursts From regular speed with metronome . don't stop playing with metronome on the speed bursts. Slow slow fast fast slow slow fast fast.

These techniques tend to dial a tremolo in.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Hi Lance,
Does your guitar have good string to string balance when not using tremolo? Do you get greater volume with your index and middle finger, than you do with your ring finger? Do all fingers produce the same volume, and you simply want more?

We typically use rest strokes and free strokes, but using tremolo can throw off your timing and stroke. Start slowly, and make certain that you're using flesh to depress the string, followed by nail. It could very well be that you're only using nail. Having the proper bend in your wrist will help. I'd practice with just your i, m, a alone at first. There's a lot going on, and breaking it down into smaller pieces will help.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 PM

I am terrible at it and probably shouldn't give advice but my approach to tremolo is p, i, a, m, i. Starting your top string attack on i can add some power and liven up your top string.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical picking