The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2024, 04:41 AM

Default Lightest acoustic strings with wound "G" ?

Hi,

Question pretty much as title: I am new to guitar and am finding the 12-53 strings supplied on my Alvarez MDR70ESB to be quite hard to hold down. I am looking for a lighter set to start with but want to keep the wound "G" string that the original EXP16 string set has.

Anyone know what is the lightest readily available (in the UK) set of strings having a wound "G" string ?

Thanks,

Boo
Old 03-01-2024, 08:31 AM

About as light as it gets, and should be easier to find in the UK than the US:

https://juststrings.com/toi_kf110.html
Old 03-01-2024, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Look into getting a setup done. .12's should not be that hard to play, even for a beginner, if the guitar is set up well.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:40 PM

Even the G strings in a set of twelves will go dead in just a few days. You need at least .28 strings if you don't want to have to change them all the time.

Have you checked your action? That's what I'd do. Sounds like there's something wrong there. The strings you're using shouldn't be hard to hold down.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
About as light as it gets, and should be easier to find in the UK than the US:

...snip image...

https://juststrings.com/toi_kf110.html
Thanks, those do look like just the thing but does anyone know an equivalent or similar which is better priced ? Those come in at more than £30 with shipping in the UK and that is around 3 times the price of a more normal set of strings.

Thanks to the others who posted about getting a set up, I do intend to do that but the place I have found does a string change as part of that and I thought I'd try to find a set to run with as part of that.

Thanks again,

Boo
Old 03-02-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogee View Post
Thanks, those do look like just the thing but does anyone know an equivalent or similar which is better priced ? Those come in at more than £30 with shipping in the UK and that is around 3 times the price of a more normal set of strings.

Thanks to the others who posted about getting a set up, I do intend to do that but the place I have found does a string change as part of that and I thought I'd try to find a set to run with as part of that.

Thanks again,

Boo
I get on fine with Eagle Music's own brand ('Puretone') strings, choice of phosphor bronze or nickel plating. They have 11s (Custom Light) or 10s (Extra Light, all with wound G. £6.99 a set plus I think £3 postage as a single charge.

https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/guita...-sets?*brand=2
Old 03-02-2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogee View Post
Hi,

Question pretty much as title: I am new to guitar and am finding the 12-53 strings supplied on my Alvarez MDR70ESB to be quite hard to hold down. I am looking for a lighter set to start with but want to keep the wound "G" string that the original EXP16 string set has.

Anyone know what is the lightest readily available (in the UK) set of strings having a wound "G" string ?

Thanks,

Boo
Also UK, and I think the best for you is Newtone strings, you can get any configuration you want (that’s within reason, of course). Check out their “Heritage” line, and you can also talk directly with Neil Silverman about what you need, and he will help fine tune a custom set for you if necessary.

newtonestrings.com
Old 03-02-2024, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Pretty much all major string makers offer "Extra Lights" with wound G strings. To name a few:
D’addario XT&XS-10 (10-47)
Curt Mangan Extra Light (10-50)
John Pearse Extra Light (10-47)
Martin Extra Light (10-47)

Lots of other choices as well...You might want to try round core strings which feel softer to some of us. One pretty popular round core set is DR Sunbeams Extra Lights (10-48). Martin Flexible Core are another round core string among others.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the replies and pointers, I think I will check out the Newtonestrings Masterclass strings as they go the lightest and are reasonably priced.

Thanks again,

Boo
Old 03-04-2024, 08:43 AM

You can order a custom set of strings from Stringjoy. Or, just a single string if you wish.
Easy-peasy, and great strings!
Old 03-09-2024, 06:18 AM

Just to say that I took the advice here to get the guitar set up and am very pleased with the result. I got new strings fitted the same as the originally supplied EXP16's it came with but did have second thoughts that I might have made a mistake and should have had lighter strings fitted at the same time. I'm happy now I stuck with those as the difference is night and day with the new set up and the 12-53 strings are much more manageable than beforehand so I will continue with them, at least for now.

Big shout out to Badland Guitars of Brighton who did the set up and thanks to all who replied here too.

Boo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion