The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2020, 01:49 PM

Default How do I get a vintage guitar authenticated?

I recently purchased what was claimed to be a late ‘60s Gibson J-45 from a trusted friend. The guitar looks right, but I can’t find a serial number. It is one of the conversions from the old adjustable bridge guitars, and is stamped J-45 ADJ. BRIDGE inside. There is an internal sticker from the person who did the conversion, but I duckduckgo’d him and he died in 2007. It’s a great guitar, but I would like to know if it is legit Gibson and preferably what year. Any thoughts?
Old 12-10-2020, 01:57 PM

Start here, with good images. Front, back, headstock, tuners, inside..... You'll get good help here with good images. If you need help posting images, there are threads and mods can guide you. Sounds like a nice guitar. Hope to see pics.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

A reputable guitar shop that deals in vintage guitars would bea good place to start.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-10-2020, 02:19 PM

George Gruhn in Nashville has done it for me.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I've had a few over the years that were suspect or I couldn't make exact sense of from the major makers and sent to Gruhn's....George himself sent me replies with help.

I agree that there is a lot of knowledge here that you'd probably get an answer quickly from forum friends. I'd start here for that reason, but Gruhn's is the first place that came to mind since he literally wrote the book on vintage instrument and Gibson is HQ'd in the same town as their store, so they probably have as good a beat on it as anyone.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:00 PM

Take it to Gold and Silver Pawn Shop?

"Do you mind if I call a buddy to come check it out? He knows everything about guitars . . . "
Old 12-10-2020, 07:48 PM

I would second the recommendation of George Gruhn. He is literally the go to expert for this type of question.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:58 PM

Thanks, I went with Gruhn.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmitestar View Post
Take it to Gold and Silver Pawn Shop?

"Do you mind if I call a buddy to come check it out? He knows everything about guitars . . . "
Those same folks who called the top on a Martin "birch?" Yeah - right.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:49 PM

Gruhn once appraised a guitar for me and he did it without having the guitar in hand but by using a detailed description and a ton of photos. But again, posting photos here or on some forum might have provided you with some answers and saved you some trouble.

While I do not want to come off as stupid, just for grins did you check to see if there is an FON on the neck block? As I am sure you know in 1961 Gibson started stamping the serial number into the back of the headstock. But the J45 ADJ became available in 1956. It will have the model stamped on the center back strip with the FON inked onto the neck block.

Last edited by zombywoof; 01-10-2021 at 06:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
authentic, j-45, vintage