The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 01:12 PM

Default Santa Cruz advice please

Hi All,

Went on on the SC web site and they have a dizzying array of models. So far, really like what I've seen/heard of the 1929 00 Mahogany
and the H 13 Mahogany as well:
https://reverb.com/item/15774506-san...dark-burst-new.

These seem to be the most popular models ? Any others I should look at ?

My concern is that both of the above are smallish and described as finger pickers whereas I'm wanting more of an all-arounder ( strum & pick) to be used for singer-songwriter voice accompaniment.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions !
Old 10-29-2020, 01:19 PM

I do not have access to sales figures to say what is their most popular.

But overall the most popular body sizes tend to be in the OM and dreadnought ranges. 00 sizes and parlor (0) sizes are less frequently discussed here in relation to the other two.

I owned a nice Martin Custom 00 which I'm now consigning with a local shop, because of exactly your concern. I too am a strummer and ultimately this 00 has a volume ceiling (due to it's size, not any fault of it's construction which is great) that just doesn't suit my strumming playstyle, which is often heavy handed.

Whenever I fingerpicked it, it was fabulous. But I play in that manner maybe 5% of the time, or less.

For an all-rounder, singer songwriter, I'd definitely look at an OM or a D, depending on how much volume you want, and how comfortable a D is for you to play. I love my 2 Ds but they're not comfortable for me to play for long stretches due to my body's ergonomics, so if I'm only able to take one guitar somewhere (and I know I'll be playing for a while), it's going to be one of my OMs or GAs.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-29-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz make some pretty good guitars - I've got an "RS" which I really love playing.

However, they do excel in their 0, 00 and H13 models.

We can tell you what we would choose but no-one can tell you what would suit you and your music best.

This is my "RS"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCGC- RS.jpg (22.2 KB, 323 views)
Old 10-29-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
- I've got an "RS" which I really love playing.
The RS is a winner, as are all their slope-shoulder dreads. If you want short scale and 14 frets, my Santa Cruz VS is my go-to. Sweet bass. Love it. You seem to be after mid-size guitars, but the RS and VS "feel" smaller than they are.

The 1929 00 has a really sweet tone. I happen to prefer the larger 1929 000.

If you want to try a square-shoulder dread, the D-12 is the one I'd like to have.

You're right --- Santa Cruz has a wonderful array of guitars.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ View Post
Hi All,

Went on on the SC web site and they have a dizzying array of models. So far, really like what I've seen/heard of the 1929 00 Mahogany

My concern is that both of the above are smallish and described as finger pickers whereas I'm wanting more of an all-arounder ( strum & pick) to be used for singer-songwriter voice accompaniment.

Do you have access to a shop that carries SC ?
Old 10-29-2020, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

...long time Santa Cruz player here...the most popular Santa Cruz model has probably been the OM...that might be changing...I don’t know...

...the H-13 is a great all rounder...their 00’s are as well...what can really tilt their purpose either way is the specific features of the instrument in question and the setup and strings....if you go with their standard specs you are likely to get a pretty good all rounder...if you specify certain woods and neck profiles you can get a guitar that may be better for finger style or flatpicking....

...I have owned a bunch of Santa Cruz guitars and even within the same model designations they have varied significantly...I had a Mahogany D that was a flatpicking monster but not a stellar finger style guitar...I had a Tony Rice standard that was really great for either style....I had an OM/PW that was also great with fingers or picks but I currently own a Santa Cruz custom OM that is a monster finger style guitar because it was designed to excel for finger style...it’s not a great flatpicking guitar....the H-13 I had was a very good all rounder...more Gibson than Martin....the 000 custom I had leaned towards finger style but held up well enough to flatpicking....

....so my take is you need to do your due diligence when selecting a Santa Cruz which can include asking the fine folks at Santa Cruz what they think about a certain model....
Old 10-29-2020, 02:41 PM

I wouldn’t choose an 00 1929 as an all rounder. I might choose an H 13 as an all rounder. But I’d be most inclined towards a dreadnaught or an OM if I wanted an all rounder, leaning more towards a dread if I were planning to jam with others very often, and especially if I were planning to jam with multiple instruments.

As a person who does a fair amount of fingerpicking, I covet an H13.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi All,

Monel strings on both the Vintage Southerner and D12 have resulted in some of the sweetest acoustic guitar tone I've heard. Perfect for a singer songwriter.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:51 PM

I have a couple of OM/PW's and an H13. Any of them would make great singer songwriter, strummin and pickin guitars.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

If you mostly strum are are OK with large bodies I'd second the slope shoulder recommendation. Those are always great singer songwriter guitars. I haven't played an SCGC slope, but based on my affection for SCGC as well as the clip Silly Moustache posted it seems like a good choice.

An OM/PW (or other forward braced OM) would be a phenomenal choice as well. I think that the rear-braced OM and 000 are phenomenal fingerstyle guitars (I love my 000 for any fingerstyle work) but are not great strummers, particularly if you like an open and bassier sound.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 10-29-2020, 03:34 PM

I was amazed by an H13 many years ago at Gryphon (the impression lingers after 25+ years) but it was way beyond my budget at the time. Since then I have been highly impressed by a 1929 000 or two at stores, but never enough to pony up the significant price that SCGC guitars command these days. Not saying the prices are unjustified, but more than I am willing to spend. I am mostly a 00 or 000 guy these days, regardless of brand.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I know three singer songwriters who play Santa Cruz H models. One has the 12 fret, one the 13 fret and one the 14 fret model. All three sound fabulous either fingerstyle or strummed. I think the H model is a very versatile guitar. Whether it is the sound and feel that you are looking for is for your ears and hands to determine.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-29-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
The RS is a winner, as are all their slope-shoulder dreads. If you want short scale and 14 frets, my Santa Cruz VS is my go-to. Sweet bass. Love it. You seem to be after mid-size guitars, but the RS and VS "feel" smaller than they are.

The 1929 00 has a really sweet tone. I happen to prefer the larger 1929 000.

If you want to try a square-shoulder dread, the D-12 is the one I'd like to have.

You're right --- Santa Cruz has a wonderful array of guitars.
The D-12 is a slope shoulder, 12 fret, with a slightly shallower body than a typical dreadnaught.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
The D-12 is a slope shoulder, 12 fret, with a slightly shallower body than a typical dreadnaught.
Technically, I suppose you're right -- the upper bout appears elongated. SCGC lists it among their square-shoulder dreads, so I lump it in that category.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi All,

I’m pretty familiar with the brand. I’ve owned and sold an H13. Great guitar for finger picking IMO, misses on range with a pick, being a bit too fundamental and punchy. I own a OM German/EIR and an OMG Italian/Cocobolo. Either of these work as an all around guitar, but I think the OMG does everything — really, really well. I think the OMG is worth considering.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
h 13, mahogany, santa cruz 1929