The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-29-2020, 06:50 AM

Default Help: Where to follow used acoustic listings + history of Taylor’s mahogany 500s?

Hi friends,

New here. I have two questions:

1) Where do you search acoustic guitar listings to track down specific models you are after? I currently track Reverb and eBay as well as check used listings on Elderly, Music Zoo, Guitar Center, and Sweetwater daily. Where else should I be looking?

2) Specifications and history of Taylor’s all-mahogany 500s. I am searching for a Taylor 526(e) or 528(e) non-cutaway from 2016-ish with the edgeburst. I have had my eye on them since release, but now that I am in a position to buy, they have dried up quickly. (I just did miss a beautiful 526 at Willcutt Guitars in December.)

- When was the edgeburst introduced? 2016? 2013-14 models lack it, at least.
- Did the stain change as well? The 2013-14 models I see look more chocolately brown usually while the edgeburst models have more of a reddish stain. Is it just the lighting? Vary from guitar to guitar?
- How long was each body shape produced?

Primarily looking for a 526, but a 528 is great too. If the search goes on too long, I can settle for a 520 or 524 in the interim, but don’t want the slotted headstock of more recent production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCE8C58D-6AD9-4AA2-821C-89D9CEE30D0B.jpg (56.0 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Slow Graffiti; 02-29-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:09 AM

sometimes just plain luck -

but sometimes its easier and better to think outside the box -
and open up your options -some guitars on this forum
which in my opinion are a big step up from most Taylor's and Martins go for great prices -
Id at least look into it . i found some of my favorite instruments
here that had little or no interest because their not Taylor's or Martin.
basically not popular or main stream -but I'm not a main stream person ( proud of it )
Guess I'm just lucky , but maybe not -because i typically didn't trust luck
I drove to see most of the guitars . and the ones i ordered from forum members i did alot of research on them -
Old 02-29-2020, 08:47 AM

Guitar Center’s used site and Chicago Music Exchange should be in the rotation for volume. Sound Pure had a really nice 514 last summer and while they don’t turn over nearly as many, they do get the quality trade up-type customer.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:14 AM

Kudo's to you cause I think you're doing every thing possible. I'm a fan of cutaway OO Larrivee's which are absurdly rare as they're not a standard factory model. The ones I have all came from eBay after months and months of scanning.

Another angle on eBay might be to do a search on completed auctions of anything "Taylor 500" as often a seller will go into detail on an older model with pictures etc. You might find answers to your edgeburst questions.

I guess you've mined Taylor's web-site for info on your models https://www.taylorguitars.com/search/site/500 and be sure to look at the 2013 issue featuring the all hog 500's https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/...er-2013_EN.pdf

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-29-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Graffiti View Post
Hi friends,
I currently track Reverb and eBay as well as check used listings on Elderly, Music Zoo, Guitar Center, and Sweetwater daily. Where else should I be looking?
Is craigslist.org a thing on the east coast? I'm in Washington state and have bought a couple nice guitars on craigslist. And with saved searches you can be alerted the minute a new one pops up.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the ideas! Added Sound Pure to my tracking list.

Yes, Craigslist is a thing on the east coast too. I hadn’t thought of it, but there are a fair number of Taylors around.

Anyone have any shops, maybe smaller or locally owned, that have a website with inventory that isn’t also already listed on Reverb/eBay?
Old 03-01-2020, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Put a want to buy in the listings here. I have sold a couple guitars I had not quite gotten around to listing because I saw a wtb listing. Might never have gotten to listing them otherwise.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 03-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Slow...I haven't looked in detail yet, but the Music Zoo recently got in a bunch of Taylors from NAMM. I'll be driving down there tomorrow from CT to check out a 327e. They moved to a bigger location, so I'm anxious to see it.
Good luck in your search. And have fun!
LarryK.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:18 PM

Perhaps a google search? https://www.google.com/search?client...org+Taylor+526
Old 03-01-2020, 10:17 PM

Racerbob - Done!

Larry - I have been scanning the used listings on Music Zoo each day. Look around for a mahogany 500 series for me.

cyberdog - Brilliant. Why had I not thought of that? Combing through craigslist geographically is a pain.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:04 PM

gbase.com is another place to keep an eye on.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Graffiti View Post
Racerbob - Done!

Combing through craigslist geographically is a pain.
Just search all of craigslist:
https://www.searchcraigslist.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
mahogany, taylor, taylor 526, taylor 528