The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-06-2023, 08:01 AM

A lot of folks love them. I had the '65 and the '68 reissue but I guess I just don't get along with Fender amps in general. Got a Mesa Lonestar Special and the clean channel was exactly what I had been looking for out of an amp. I did like the '65 better than my Hot Rod Deluxe though.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
You might find this interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ZEGLPCIIg&t=0s
I watched a good bit of this.
It seemed like this gentleman found fault with about everything Fender did with the re-issue.
Just sayin’

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-07-2023, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It seemed like this gentleman found fault with about everything Fender did with the re-issue.
Just sayin’
The guy is in the business of doing upgrades to them... just sayin.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I have a vintage 1964 Deluxe Reverb and I love the clean tones I get from it, but to get any kind of overdrive I'm talking way too loud for my ears. If I'm going to record heavier stuff with it, I use a Revival Drive by Origin Effects in front of it and it sounds great. Typically though I just use a smaller amp
I appreciate the info. It’ll def be more manageable than the HR volume wise.i use drive pedals so shouldn’t be an issue there. I’ll have to checkout the Revival Drive out. I always love trying a new drive out.

Quote:
Part Two of this series was just issued...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZYMiv4iNmw

BTW, Lyle's opinion is that Fender's '65 reissues are some of the best amps out there at this price point, and they sit aside a very small number of worthy competitors. They just need a couple of tweaks to improve longevity. These aren't things that you'd have to do immediately, but they are things you'll have to do within a couple of years.
Thank you. I’ll have to watch it. I’m sure I’ll make a few changes once I’ve spent some time with it. I like to let the “honeymoon” season wear off before upgrading/modifying anything. But… speakers, tubes, and the like are always in view for potential “upgrading”.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-07-2023, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanoFan View Post
A lot of folks love them. I had the '65 and the '68 reissue but I guess I just don't get along with Fender amps in general. Got a Mesa Lonestar Special and the clean channel was exactly what I had been looking for out of an amp. I did like the '65 better than my Hot Rod Deluxe though.
I certainly think one has to be in love with a specific “tone”. I LOVE Fender cleans. Their drive…meh. Depends on the amp. I love Marshall’s drive, but their cleans…

So, I completely get it. I tend to lean towards the ‘65 over the ‘68, and am hopeful that it will be a better fit than my Hot-Rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Just sayin’
I also felt that this was not a “well balanced” review. Although, I did appreciate his opinion and input. Yet, if the negative was highlighted with the intention of securing business for potential upgrades…well, there you have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Seems it would be difficult to be unbiased in that case…
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-07-2023, 08:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hey, I liked the Line 6 Deluxe Reverb model so well that I went out and bought one for analog gigs.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-07-2023, 09:08 AM

Last edited by AX17609; 12-07-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then disregard. Lyle (Psionic Audio) has more business than he can handle and doesn't do this kind of work anymore. It's not self-promotion. His basic stance is that the quality revolution that has happened to the sub-$1000 guitar market hasn't happened in the amp market. Big brand names are living on reputation. He recommends this particular amp if you know what you're buying.

I just thought you as a potential buyer might like to know the information, particularly since you asked for input. If not, I'll try to be less helpful in the future.
Thank you for the link and information. As stated earlier. I appreciate feedback and input (both positive and negative), yet personally, I prefer a more balanced approach to a review. While I like to be aware of potential issues, I also like to be informed of the positive aspects as well. The first video seems to focus more on the “what to watch out for”. Which again, I appreciate. Yet, I also like to be informed of the positives. No offense intended to you, or the reviewer. Merely my personal opinion.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 12-07-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Hey, I liked the Line 6 Deluxe Reverb model so well that I went out and bought one for analog gigs.

Bob
I’ll have to investigate that Bob. Hadn’t heard of this…thanks for the heads up.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-07-2023, 09:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
I’ll have to investigate that Bob. Hadn’t heard of this…thanks for the heads up.

That's it alongside a Motion Sound Sidewinder rotary cab for size comparison.

Bob

Old 12-07-2023, 10:43 AM

I have one. It's fantastic. I really enjoyed it for gigs. Too loud for my own home use now, however.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
I appreciate the info. It’ll def be more manageable than the HR volume wise.i use drive pedals so shouldn’t be an issue there. I’ll have to checkout the Revival Drive out. I always love trying a new drive out.
The Revival Drive is great, it's one of the most innovative pieces of gear that I've ever used.

The multiple videos here are very lengthy but Simon the innovator demos this with a Deluxe Reverb and goes in depth into what this pedal does...

It pretty much turns any clean amp, even a PA power amp, into any kind of Marshall tone that you want. It also gets a very convincing Tweed Deluxe and Vox AC30 tones. The MORE/PRES and GHOST features have got to be heard. I have gotten some of the best recordings that I've ever got with it. It just sounds so authentic. I have the "Custom" version which adds even more tone control.

But... be prepared for the sticker shock These things go over $500

For a lot of the flavor in a single channel version (minus the GHOST feature and mid control adjust) for much less money you can get the one channel COMPACT version. These generally hover between $250 and $300 used on Reverb.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:10 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
The Revival Drive is great, it's one of the most innovative pieces of gear that I've ever used.
I'll confess to having wanting one of those since they first came out. Simon the designer is an British Allman Brothers fan and they were the inspiration for the drive AND the name.

Here's a demo through a clean Twin.

Alright, who is going to buy me one for Christmas?

Bob

Old 12-07-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I'll confess to having wanting one of those since they first came out. Simon the designer is an British Allman Brothers fan and they were the inspiration for the drive AND the name.

Here's a demo through a clean Twin.

Alright, who is going to buy me one for Christmas?

Bob

And in that video he doesn't even go into the MORE/PRES control, which to me is the most powerful control on the RD. If you like loose sounding tweed amps that is where the sound lies. The pedal puts back the juicy mids that the Deluxe Reverb circuit is missing. Think Neil Young My Deluxe Reverb loves this pedal.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Additionally, I decided to listen to some You Tube videos of the DRRI with comparisons of various speakers. These included a couple he recommended.
I realize it’s You Tube, but I didn’t hear any earth-shattering differences.
Actually, I owned one of these a few years back and I put a Weber 12F150 in it. That speaker came highly recommended.
Sounded somewhat better than the original, but for what they cost today, no thanks.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars