The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-20-2023, 12:41 PM

I've had one for about 18 mos. Very versatile guitar. if you have an acoustic amp and an electric guitar amp, you can play both simultaneously, which I find fun. The humbucking pup's on the HB SE II are impressive. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
I think you will be pleased, as I know I am with mine (a blue one). Some thoughts and ideas for you to ponder as you wait:
  1. I taped two cables together, allowing enough slack to take out the piezo jack independently and easily, to save battery when you're not playing if you leave it out on a stand.
  2. I run the piezo line direct to my PA (no preamp needed, of course) and the humbucker line though my effects pedal then to the PA (I don't have a traditional amplifier).
  3. With most effects, I use the volume knobs to blend the two outputs, always having a little effect on the "acoustic" piezo tone or a modicum of underlying piezo on the electric tones.
  4. The stock tuners are not very good, so I bought some (slightly) better locking ones (PRS branded).
...and Have Fun!
Hi Marty and thanks for chipping in.
I will be running the same set up as you, although the mag output will be wirelss to my pedal board. Like you, I dont have an amp, either electric or acoustic. It will be going to my Bose L1.
I also like the idea of mixing a little bit of piezo with the mags and vice versa.
I have seen other comments about the tuners, guess I'll wait and see how they perform.
And I certainly intend to have fun...!
Cheers
Graham
Old 09-21-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
I've had one for about 18 mos. Very versatile guitar. if you have an acoustic amp and an electric guitar amp, you can play both simultaneously, which I find fun. The humbucking pup's on the HB SE II are impressive. Good luck.
I'm glad you're enjoying the guitar. I intend to use the separate outputs into two channels on my desk, the HB's first going through my pedal board.
There are certainly huge possibilities with this guitar and the main reason why I bought it.

On most gigs, I want to be able to easily switch from electric to acoustic. For my acoustic only gigs, I use a dread with a Lyric pick up.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

I just looked my CE 24 from 5 years ago retailed I think for $1800 is now $2629 about an $800 increase . So 44% increase in 5 years, is that unique to PRS or is that happening to most brands ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-21-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I'm not sure how things were back when you bought your first. Now, PRS sells guitars in three lines: Core, S2, and SE. Core is the top of the line, S2 is made in America but not the top tier, and SE is made overseas. The S2 and SE are definitely the biggest sellers for PRS where the Core is considered a premium line. The prices, to me at least, seem a bit over the top for the Core line. The SE and S2 lines appear quite competitive. I would call the Core line semi-custom.

In the simplest terms, you also forgot the CE series which is a step between the S2 and Core. And there’s also tiers to the core series. There’s the 10 top cores, then the Wood Library, and then their Custom Shop series which usually goes for 5 digits, the Private Stock.

Guitar prices in general have gone way up in the past couple of years. Imagine buying a $2700 guitar that comes with just a gig bag and not a HSC. Yep that’s what you get when you buy a PRS CE series. It wasn’t long ago when a MIM Fender was $500 out of the door. Now they go for $800+. A Gibson Studio was $1200, now they go for well over $1600. I’m surprised the used market has remained quite stable and barely affected by this inflation.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Perusing Sweetwater today, I was surprised.
My 1st PRS in '97, a new goldtop McCarty: $1900

Today the McCarty lists between $5000 to $8000!
I really don't understand why. I admire Mr. Smith for his innovation and passion for quality and sound.

All I can say is wow....... I love the PRS guitars built overseas, I ordered a
DGT SE sunburst......

The McCarty's are typically in the 4-5k range. Some options will drive the price higher.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...#search-header
Old 09-22-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I just looked my CE 24 from 5 years ago retailed I think for $1800 is now $2629 about an $800 increase . So 44% increase in 5 years, is that unique to PRS or is that happening to most brands ?
I don't think it's unique to PRS at all. Look at Fender. An American Professional II Strat or Tele is $1,800. The Ultra series is around $2,200, and the Ultra Luxe series is around $2,600 - $2,700. With Fender it's hard to compare apples to apples since they change series designations and features about as often as most of us change underwear, but those prices in general are WAY up from 5 years ago.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
Hi Marty and thanks for chipping in.
I will be running the same set up as you, although the mag output will be wirelss to my pedal board. Like you, I dont have an amp, either electric or acoustic. It will be going to my Bose L1.
I also like the idea of mixing a little bit of piezo with the mags and vice versa.
I have seen other comments about the tuners, guess I'll wait and see how they perform.
And I certainly intend to have fun...!
Cheers
Graham
I have that guitar too, almost bought one from the UK at an insanely low price, but didn’t want to deal with shipping to the US, so I found a used one closer to home. I love mine; the tone for leads is fat and full like nothing else I own, and it sounds great clean too. It’s true about the tuners, but I don’t really mind anymore.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:55 AM

Although I live in France, I bought the guitar from my favourite dealer in the UK.

As you say, an insanely low price considering other dealers around Europe are still maintaining the old price.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:05 AM

I'm fortunate to have 9 PRS's , all core , artist , or Private Stock.

Yes the prices have gone up , as with everything else . I bought my first LP custom for $500 new ... they are considerably more today .

The nice thing is PRS folks tend to take very good care of thier instruments , and there are lots of good deals if you know what to look for.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I've been buying guitars since the 1960's and I don't agree with Mr. McKnight. Guitars are built and bought all over the world. There is no reason other than lack of stock or blockage from shipping and outrageous shipping costs, to raise the prices that much. Someone told the marketers, CEO's that there was a pandemic, a supply chain problem, and inflation, so they collectively decided to jack up prices. Same thing w/ food, supply controlled by only 5 corporations. In the case of PRS, they've been announcing new guitars for 3 years, w/ little availability. What is up with that?
An inflation calculator would be helpful as far as your first statement goes. Other premium makers have raised prices too. Some have had explanations that make sense.

You are correct that a small number of producers and retailers in food is not healthy for consumers but really off base on saying 5. That problem helps fuel the growing interest and niche of smaller platers it means more expensive just like a few small guitar makers.

Last year and right now shopping with our son is revealing the electric guitar market is better as far as moderately priced stuff goes.

Some of the small guitar makers state every job they have is a living wage. That aside they are all needing skilled labor where shortages remain and where those wages still rise. Lots of younger skilled people are also pursuing niches that have more stability, are less cyclical and pay a lot.

I'm glad to be GAS-free and happy to see the models plus when I got some nice guitars makes them an investment if I sold, but even happier to have a child who appreciates them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars