The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-23-2023, 06:09 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default 2003 Paul Reed Smith McCarty Rosewood

I recently acquired a vintage PRS McCarty Rosewood from 2003

This guitar has the Tobacco Sunburst finish which still looks fantastic 20 years later. The guitar is a 10-top and these are actually stamped "10" into the wood on the back of the headstock. The neck is a luxurious solid Indian Rosewood and somehow the guitar came out to a nicely manageable 7.8lbs - with a perfectly balanced neck and beautiful stripe figuring

During this era the McCarty was 25" scale and 1 11/16" nut with a 10" radius fretboard. The one-piece bridge sounds and looks great while intonating surprisingly well in combination with the Kluson-style tuners. The dual humbucker configuration does a great LP tribute but sounds very mature when you pop the coil splitting tone control, giving a rich and almost archtop-like tone.

What makes this guitar a favored sensation in my collection is the deep grand piano-like sustain as each note rings through the neck with a distinct feel that affects your playing in such a good way. This guitar oozes soul and vibe while it sustains like a 14lb Les Paul. This one also has a great setup thanks to my dealer.

The guitar arrived in near-perfect condition with some light play wear on the back. Just enough so you don't worry about digging in enjoying it. (I have owned some PRS guitars in the past that I just didn't bond with because I seemed to have too much anxiety over the pristine condition.)

Anyone else have a rosewood-neck equipped PRS? Does yours also sustain notes unusually long? These guitars may be sleepers. During this era they offered the rosewood neck on other models as well - and so you'll very occasionally see rosewood neck Custom 22's and 24's. Does anyone know if they ever did a CE with a rosewood neck?

Huge heartfelt thanks to whomever let this one go. She went to a good home and is getting a lot of attention!

JR
Old 05-23-2023, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I love the way the neck and back look on that one.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:15 PM

The neck is beautiful.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

WOW, JR!

That is a beautiful PRS guitar! I don't think I have ever seen a guitar with a solid EIR carved neck like that! That is quite a piece of work! Glad you are happy!

- Glenn
Old 05-24-2023, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

What an absolute beautiful guitar! I bet it sounds great too!
Old 05-24-2023, 02:10 AM

Congratulations, that’s a beauty!
I have one of those, same color. Your description is right on the money…

As you may know, PRS made a Rosewood Limited model with a fancy fretboard inlay. It had a gloss finish to the neck, I read it took a lot of coats to get it glossy.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:07 AM

Sleeper is a great way to characterize these. I had one from the same era about a decade ago. Incredible guitar. Not sure why I let it go, other than the likely impacts of GAS. It also had unbelievable sustain. Even when it wasn't plugged in, it had some of the greatest resonance of any electric guitar I've ever played.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:10 PM

Congrats on a real beauty.

That’s on sweet lo neck on that guitar.

I personally have no experience with a full rosewood neck, but I do have experience with Core PRS guitars, as I own 3.

I own an ‘88 Goldtop “Special “, ‘95 Purple Custom 24 10-Top, an an ‘09 DGT 10-Top.

All 3 are all very different from another, but all sound, feel, and play amazingly well.

They’re all keepers and have a place in my guitar collection.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 05-24-2023, 01:48 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thanks, everyone! I think it's a keeper too.

Texsunburst59 - Sounds like a great collection! That '88 goldtop is a real vintage PRS. I'd love to see that purple custom 24! They really do some great finishes. Aren't their newer finishes nitro instead of poly though?

MichaelPatrick - Maybe this one was yours? I could probably describe in great detail every guitar I've ever let go of, so I know the feeling! Don't sell 'em.

guitararmy - Thanks! Very interesting. I don't think I've seen that rosewood limited edition. Why would they gloss that neck? Have a picture?

BoneDigger - Thank you! They have changed them a little bit since 2003, no?

Glennwillow - Great to hear from you Glenn! Thank you - Definitely enjoying this one.

antvas1963 - Thanks!

Aspiring - Much appreciated!

JR
Old 05-24-2023, 01:56 PM

That is one beautiful top on that guitar CONGRATS!!!! Looks like you found a keeper!

Years ago I bought an older mid 2000's PRS with a solid Brazilian Rosewood neck from guitar center. It was a beautiful guitar with some of the best flame maple I have even seen on the top. The neck felt great, but I couldn't bond with the sound of the pickups, so I returned the guitar. I figured for the price I paid I didn't want to mod it. Later I found out that the guy that bought it after me was quite unhappy as the neck had developed a twist in it. I dodged a bullet there

I got lucky second time around though... My current PRS (1994 Custom 22) has a great neck, and it reacts well to any truss rod tweaks...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 05-25-2023 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:06 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Years ago I bought an older mid 2000's PRS with a solid Brazilian Rosewood neck from guitar center. It was a beautiful guitar with some of the best flame maple I have even seen on the top. The neck felt great, but I couldn't bond with the sound of the pickups, so I returned the guitar. I figured for the price I paid I din;t want to mod it. Later I found out that the guy that bought it after me was quite unhappy as the neck had developed a twist in it. I dodged a bullet there

My current PRS (1994 Custom 24) has a great neck, and it reacts well to any truss rod tweaks...

Wow - that Custom 24 looks great! I like that finish with the gold hardware.
I, too, had one of the Brazilian Rosewood PRS' back in the day. It was one of the Brazilian Rosewood Limited series of 250 guitars. It was heavy, had an ugly top, and the neck liked to go southward as soon as you let go of it. The Brazilian Rosewood neck was this really unusual looking dark black wood with zero figuring and as I recall Paul Reed had signed the back of the neck kind of down into the playing area. Several reasons why it sat in its case until I finally sold it. Since then Brazilian Rosewood has kind of gotten a black eye so I don't really miss it or regret it.

JR
Old 05-24-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Thanks, everyone! I think it's a keeper too.

Texsunburst59 - Sounds like a great collection! That '88 goldtop is a real vintage PRS. I'd love to see that purple custom 24! They really do some great finishes. Aren't their newer finishes nitro instead of poly though?

MichaelPatrick - Maybe this one was yours? I could probably describe in great detail every guitar I've ever let go of, so I know the feeling! Don't sell 'em.

guitararmy - Thanks! Very interesting. I don't think I've seen that rosewood limited edition. Why would they gloss that neck? Have a picture?

BoneDigger - Thank you! They have changed them a little bit since 2003, no?

Glennwillow - Great to hear from you Glenn! Thank you - Definitely enjoying this one.

antvas1963 - Thanks!

Aspiring - Much appreciated!

JR
Thanks J R.

I’ll try to go some pics of my guitars.

Here’s this PRS info

What type of finish does PRS use on CORE guitars?

From 1985 – 2019, PRS used a polyester basecoat and an acrylic topcoat. During 2019, we started to transition to a nitrocellulose over CAB (catalyzed acrylic) finish. This was a flying change that was slowly worked into production. If your guitar was made during 2019, we cannot accurately determine the exact finish used on your instrument, so it is best to treat it as you would any other nitrocellulose finish and avoid long term contact with leather, rubber, and vinyl. Guitars produced in 2020 and beyond have the nitro over CAB finish.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 05-25-2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Wow - that Custom 24 looks great! I like that finish with the gold hardware.
I, too, had one of the Brazilian Rosewood PRS' back in the day. It was one of the Brazilian Rosewood Limited series of 250 guitars. It was heavy, had an ugly top, and the neck liked to go southward as soon as you let go of it. The Brazilian Rosewood neck was this really unusual looking dark black wood with zero figuring and as I recall Paul Reed had signed the back of the neck kind of down into the playing area. Several reasons why it sat in its case until I finally sold it. Since then Brazilian Rosewood has kind of gotten a black eye so I don't really miss it or regret it.

JR
Oh I posted wrong my good PRS is a Custom 22

As for the one I had with Brazilian, I sure don't regret letting that one go!
Old 12-15-2023, 06:24 AM

Beautiful guitar , I have one with Soapbars .. the Rosewood neck ring like a bell.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Wow JR that top is just stunning, congrats .... bet it sound great also

My only PRS is a USA - CE 24

It's not a 10 top so not near as well matched

Here I am using it to demo my new D. Kowalski .5 watt tube head
Now I credit the amp with nice resonance (which is certainly complimented by the incredible sustain of the guitar )

My playing is only mediocre so ignore and listen to just amp tone

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars