The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-20-2016, 06:35 PM

Default Heard a popping sound

So I was strumming the 114 last night and I heard a popping sound that sounded a lot like a string breaking, but the strings were fine. It also doesn't sound like anything is rattling around in the guitar. I can't find anything obvious wrong that would have made that sound. I'm wondering if maybe a brace popped or something inside.

Though, my 3 year old was playing nearby and could have swung something and hit it without me noticing, I suppose, which could have made a similar sound.

Anyway, is there anything to do to check for a popped brace other than take a peak inside? Thanks!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsareyummy View Post
So I was strumming the 114 last night and I heard a popping sound that sounded a lot like a string breaking, but the strings were fine. It also doesn't sound like anything is rattling around in the guitar. I can't find anything obvious wrong that would have made that sound. I'm wondering if maybe a brace popped or something inside.

Though, my 3 year old was playing nearby and could have swung something and hit it without me noticing, I suppose, which could have made a similar sound.

Anyway, is there anything to do to check for a popped brace other than take a peak inside? Thanks!
Tap the box over the braces and listen for a rattling sound. Do you nitice any difference in the sound of the guitar?
Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 PM

Press with your thumbs over the braces and listen for crunchy sounds.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:14 PM

Possibly a string's ball end wasn't properly seated, and then it did, causing the "pop?"
Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 AM

Are all 6 strings still in tune?
Old 05-21-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Possibly a string's ball end wasn't properly seated, and then it did, causing the "pop?"
First thing I thought of. Slipping pin or string shifting.

Well, the second thing. First was my bum shoulder.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the advice, all. Everything was still in tune and there isn't and cracking or rattling or other odd sound when I tap or press around the bracing. So, I guess I'll just chalk it up to a ball end or some other random event.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair