The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM

Default Can ya'all take a measurement for me?

I am trying to establish a neck angle for the fat kitten and need to know how high the strings are at the bridge on a LP and a 335, so I have adequate room for the bridge. I am thinking 5/8" but a few actual measurements would be most welcome.
Thanks! Stoneaxe.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:57 PM

I have an Ibanez LP 57 gold top copy hanging on the wall right next to this computer. The bridge is a close replica of the Gibson tune-o-matic and the height from the deck to the top of the g and d strings is .605" with about .200" clearance between the underside of the bridge and the deck. Stewmac provides dimensioned drawings of almost everything they sell so you should be able to get a bridge height from their website.

If you're planning a whammy bar you might look at this. A standard tune-o-matic will gather and release string tension between the whammy and the bridge making it impossible to keep in tune (the nylon saddles are a little better but still not as good as rolller saddles. I recently retrofitted a roller bridge to a Bigsby equipped ES 335. I used one of these because it dropped right onto the vintage posts. The rollers helped to keep it in tune after hitting thebigsby, and the saddle blocks could be shimmed to acheive correct radius.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...er_Bridge.html
Old 05-16-2016, 02:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

With guitars as in kitchen cabinet jobs, have the hardware (or at least its specs and certainly that it is available) on hand BEFORE you build.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:59 PM

Thanks! .605 is close to what I had guessed. I am not going to drill any holes now, just want to establish a reasonable angle for the neck.
Thing is, I am debating cutting off the top and re-angling it. Or cutting off the neck and changing the angle. This project has been dormant for a long time and I need to look at all the parameters before choosing a path.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair