The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 AM

Default Polish satin finish on 000-17S

Hi,

Looking for some advise and seeing if anybody has done this to the new 17 series martin line. I purchased a new 000-17S Martin, I am totally in love with it. It is exactly what I was looking for tone wise. The only thing I don't like is the satin back and sides. I was thinking about polishing it out to a semi gloss using Meguiars #3 the finishing up with #7.

My question is should I mask the top the keep from scratching it while doing the sides?

Just curious if anybody has attempted this on the new 17 series and what your results were.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 PM

I did exactly this after I shined up some areas through wear - both on the top under my forearm and on the back as it rubbed on my clothes. I think I used the planet waves Restore polish, then buffed it out with regular guitar polish. I much prefer the semi-gloss to the satin finish, looks more like a vintage instrument.

There isn't enough finish or grain filler on there to get a full gloss finish. I removed the pickguard at the same time and rounded over the edges.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:21 PM

I'd probably just go with the #7 first and see if you get a good result. If not try #9 first. The #3 can cut aggressively, and there's not a heckuva lot of finish there. Also realize the satin is achieved through a chemical additive; used to be talc, but I don't know what they use now. Also satin will hide small imperfections that will be more visible under sheen or shine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair