The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Wow looks awesome! I absolutely love it!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks Lavrov View Post
Wow looks awesome! I absolutely love it!
Maks - thanks. I got another coat of clear on it last night. Next one should be the final one. The sinker redwood looks super awesome under the clear too...whew. Nice stuff.

Hope you have a good day.

Kevin.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:54 PM

Default second coat of clear

The earth tones in the guitar are really nice. I like these tones a lot. I'm not much of a "red" or "blue" guy (in a guitar). I like 'warmth'.

Here you can see the "bursting" is very light.

Another angle of some nice figure.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Gorgeous. Love the slight burst.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Gorgeous. Love the slight burst.
Thanks Cigarfan - my pleasure. I have about four sets of this wonderful Koa left for acoustic back and sides. And I'm going to 'light burst' them all

Here is an arch top electric that I used a chunk of it on. I actually have one set left for an arch top (and back).

Note the light bursting on this guitar too...

Also of note - this is the way I used to do the truss cover. This one is blended in with the inlay too...but I wanted to leave more headstock overlay wood OVER the truss nut (not to be confused with the truss cover itself). Rather than routing that away. Earlier in this thread I talked about gluing a little chunk of wood on top of the truss nut (your gluing it to the sides of the channel - not the nut itself). Then gluing the wood spline over the top truss rod bar and this little glued in wood piece. This traps the top flat bar - this helps this flat bar to ALSO assists against the string compression. Then when you put the headstock overlay on it "sandwiches" this little piece glued in over the nut. Make sense?

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:21 PM

Default bridge stuff

I finally got to the bridge making. (working on other guitars :-).

I am sure this is how most do it. To locate the bridge location on the guitar I use double stick tape on the bottom side of the bridge, and two layers of green tape on the guitar. I use two layers of green tape so I can pull one off after a couple applications. So I stick the bridge in the correct location on the green tape and cut around it...then I take the bridge off and leave the tape. Now I can spray the top.

Here are some pics of the bridge slots being routed. Same pin router idea/jig as previously shown in these pages.

and the holes for the ball end of the string. These are Brazilian Rosewood bridges. They are nice and have a "bell like" tap tone.

I will have professional pics of this guitar put up after its finished.

Have a great evening.

Kevin.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 PM

It's looking good Kevin, keep the pix coming! We love seeing pictures!! I was meaning to ask if you made a specific headstock for this model? Not as "sharp" as your other models.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks Lavrov View Post
It's looking good Kevin, keep the pix coming! We love seeing pictures!! I was meaning to ask if you made a specific headstock for this model? Not as "sharp" as your other models.
Maks - thanks for the comments.

A couple years ago a collector mentioned a different headstock for the acoustics - he didn't end up buying but his point was well taken and I had been thinking this for along time anyway. The acoustic crowd is a conservative bunch, so I softened the top side up a little but wanted to keep a little "pederson" influence in there.

So if you order an acoustic from me, this is my current headstock.

This is probaby the one you've recognized. And again, its custom building so I certainly would accommodate most anyone's request.

Well, have a great day. I will have one more coat to put on the EMojo Sinker redwood/koa and then I'll put it together.

This guitar box has a very lively tap response, with a nice decay...its going to have great sustain and volume and it should be very responsive too...I'm looking forward to getting it strung up to hear it - and showing the neck detail soon. Probably wait for the "studio" pics to show that

Happy trails, until we meet again.

Kevin.

Last edited by KevinLPederson; 04-25-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 AM

Default build threads

I post a lot of my build theads on face book too...

if you want to check them out, and get my updates...

LIKE www.facebook.com/pedersoncustomguitars

I'll change my signature at the bottom of this page to show that FB link when I can.

Have a great day ya'll.

Kevin.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM

Default clear coat DONE

The LAST application of clear has gone on this guitar. Here are a couple pics in my spray booth. A good pic of the headstock inlay with clear on it...looks great under the clear.

The Koa and the side inlay has come to life with clear coats on it.

And...the last application I always thin it out so it has good flow out...I do this so I can have a nice thin final coat on the top.

Now I can let these cure out in my spray booth for a little while then I'll put the guitar together and string it up. Can't wait.

If you are going to be in Healdsburg, stop by and play this guitar. You'll be able to judge the fit, finish, the set up, the playability and the sound.

They have sound booths there you can take the guitar in. Also, play my other guitars I'll have there too. Open invite. Please, all. They are made to PLAY, they just happen to look nice too .

Have a super great day.

Kevin.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM

Default 11" of snow

...in Iowa on May 2, 2013...

We were in shorts a week ago.

I can't even get up my shop lane to work today. So you guys "suffering" in sunny Southern California...count your blessings .

There are a bunch of trees down, power lines down and this isn't done yet according to the weather man.

Have a great day.

Kevin.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Yikes!!!

It's gonna be 70 degrees today in Washington, D.C.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Wow--that is crazy! We're expecting to be in the lower 90's today here in Northern California. Hope it clears out for you soon...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-03-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Yikes!!!

It's gonna be 70 degrees today in Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--that is crazy! We're expecting to be in the lower 90's today here in Northern California. Hope it clears out for you soon...
A little more "snow" today, turns to rain. I guess the good news is its supposed to get up to 35 today ha.

A note on the guitar in this thread. The last coat of finish went on really nice. Flowed out great. I'll let it hang out in my paint booth for a few more days, then I'll put it together. This sinker redwood is just beautiful under the clear. Really impressive stuff. I have one more top sized for my SJ. I bought these two sinker tops in '09.

Hope you are all having a great day.

Kevin.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM

Well, back somewhere in this thread I mentioned Al Petteway was going to play my guitars. At that time, he said "YES!!" He emailed me back almost immediately. Well, Healdsburg has this new policy 'only two performers per day'. To make a long, and frustrating story short, my time slot and my player got changed a few times (more than three :-).

So doing my mini concert will be Macyn Taylor. She is a very up and coming player and I believe she is involved with Petros guitars some how. I'm VERY happy about her doing my mini concert.

My mini concert is Saturday 5:30 - 5:50PM. (This is another long story so I'll just save it). LMI will be updating their site soon to reflect this information here.

Have a great night.

Kevin.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop