The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-23-2016, 04:27 PM

Default refinishing back of a Taylor 814

I have Taylor 814CE LTD (I think it's a 2002 as those are the first four digits ofthe SN) in my shop for a re-finish of the entire back only. I asked Taylor and they say this is a catalyzed polyester. I usually use nitro lacquer and I'm wondering if I can apply it over this. I've built about 50 guitars and so I'm pretty experienced with building a nitro finish on bare wood. Not so much over other finishes.

I've already filled tiny cracks with water thin CA, let it dry a couple days and level sanded the whole back to 220 grit. I plan to hit it with a light coat of Cardinal sealer for good adhesion and then 5 coats of Cardinal nitro, then finish sand and buff out.

Anybody ever over-sprayed catalyzed polyester with Nitro? I'm just a little concerned about good adhesion.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:32 PM

Nitro will go over just fine. The only issue you may have is if you break the surface of the poly down to the bare wood, it will be a tough one to hide with subsequent coats of nitro, the gel taylor uses, seeps into the wood and then when you light cure it, it sets, giving the wood a nice wet look.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-23-2016, 05:45 PM

I second that.

I did prettymuch the exact same repair on my 414ce. Repaired several cracks with CA and did a top coat of Satin pre-cat lacquer. I rubbed it out with a scotchbrite pad. Mine is a satin finish 2004 I bought on Craigslist and it was badly abused. You should have no problem top coating over the existing poly finish. Mine looks great now. You really can't tell it was ever fixed.

Yes, if you go through the poly it might be hard to re seal that area plus the wood will want to take darker and warmer in that spot. So the burned through spots won't quite blend in.
Silver Creek T-160
Fender cd-140s
Guild GAD-50atb

Last edited by johna2u; 05-23-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 PM

I'm already done with the prep sanding and have not sanded through. Thanks for the advice.

Larry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair