The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-17-2016, 08:06 AM

Default Pre-amp gone bad, I think

I am new to the forum so excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place. Also, I love my guitar[s] but I have never been one to get extremely technical about them, so again excuse me if my terminology is incorrect.
My acoustic is a Taylor 712 grand concert that i bought brand new in 2005. About five years ago the electronics sytem [ Taylor expression sytem] went out. A few weeks ago I finally had a new one installed. The guitar sounds just as good as it used to, except for one problem. Now when it is plugged in, if the strings touch the frets it makes a sound akin to electrical static or some sort of crackling sound, but it seems only to happen high up on the neck.[That's the best way I can describe it.] Also, when the bass on the guitar is turned up and I am playing there is a pop and thump sound coming out, the notes sound extremely distorted. It's more prominent if I strike a note or chord with more force, if I turn the bass down it doesn't really happen. I was told that the crackle from the strings could be a string grounding issue and that the distortion from the bass turned up could be that the pre-amp is bad. [It's the original pre-amp.] Should I just have a new pre-amp installed? If either of these problems sound correct how can I fix them? If not, what could be the problem?
Thanks in advance to everyone who gives their advice, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:15 AM

It may be the amp board, it may not. There is a magnetic pickup inside the fretboard extension that could be going bad.

You should have a Taylor authorized tech have a look at it rather than throwing parts at it blindly.....
Old 05-18-2016, 07:44 AM

String hum is most likely a ground loop. Whoever installed your new stuff should fix that.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 AM

Possibly the magnet in the neck is broken on the pickup, have seen this issue before,

You mention you had the electronics changed out a couple of weeks ago but then you refer to the pre amp still being original to the guitar from 2005 - Little bit confused here.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 05-18-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:53 AM

I am confused as well. As I said I have never been very technical with my equipment. I can only go on advise that is given. I am a bit naive when it comes to this sort of thing. I have had this guitar for eleven years. I was redy for a new guitar anyway, so I bought a new Taylor 214 deluxe yesterday. I am retiring the 712 from live performing and will use now only as a home guitar without plugging in. I am sad but I think buying a new guitar was for the better. In time Im sure I will fix the 712. I just was curious as to what the problem might be. Thank you everyone for your advise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair