The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-14-2016, 04:15 PM

Default I think a guitar tech ruined my guitar - help!

I have a cutaway acoustic with 20 frets. It is a Stanford (also known as Furch). It is my favorite guitar that I have ever played. I play mostly solo guitar, flatpicked. Bach, Paganini, etc. So I really depend on my guitar to have low action is excellent playability. Perhaps due to weather changes I noticed that my action changed. I made truss rod adjustments which partially fixed things but not enough. So I took the guitar to a tech in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Germany near where I live. I have since moved to Montenegro, and I am in shock of how badly the guitar plays now.

I told the tech that my requirement was quite simple - set up guitar with lowest possible action without fret buzz.

He looked at the guitar, noticed fret buzz at higher frets and said that the higher frets need to be filed down.

He also replaced bridge saddle, with what seems to be some cheap plastic saddle. Not sure if that can change tone, but now my guitar sounds cheap and plasticy. Before it sounded brilliant.

Also, he filed a LOT off the high frets and also, he didn't bother to shape the sides. So at the high frets, there are these sudden sharp edges which is aweful. I often play scale exercises that start at 3rd fret and go to 20th, and this involves a lot of sliding of course. Before I could do this no problem. Now whenever I am past 12th fret, the awkward shaping of the frets causes resistance and I can't slide as smoothly as before.

And, the notes past 12th fret seem harder to fret now, like I have to apply much more pressure, and they have this dull sound, less sustain.

I am so shocked. I need to find the best guitar tech in the region I am living in to get this guitar playing well again. Anyone know superb techs in southeast Europe? Or anywhere in Eastern Europe for that matter? Or heck, anywhere in Europe...

Any advice is vastly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

While it entirely possible that your tech messed up the set up, it is unlikely that the guitar is ruined. Sounds like he attempted a band-aid fix filing down the upper frets, and what you really needed was a refret following a fingerboard dressing. Or if it was worse than that, at worst a neck reset and then the refret etc. So, while you have possibly wasted time and money on the wrong fix, the right fix is still available.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Why not contact Furch and send it back to them for repair. I contacted them twice via email and the response was within 48 hours. How far are you from Southern Czech Republic.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-14-2016, 06:43 PM

After you get it back, repaired to your specification... Consider learning how to do moderate setup functions on your own. It will save you money and maybe some grief.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Books/...air_Guide.html

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 05-14-2016, 07:43 PM

Two things

Fist the most common statement we get is, I just want a basic setup with the lowest action possible. Unfortunate this usually requires the best setup not a basic setup, and everything needs to be almost perfect for super low action.

In regards to the person you sent it o giving it back with hard edges on the frets, that's a little dis-appointing, is it only on a couple maybe they missed the edges of one or two, any things possible.

But your guitar is far from ruined

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-14-2016, 10:38 PM

Try Blazer & Henkes in Tubingen, or Bagnasco & Casati in Savona.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Why not contact Furch and send it back to them for repair. I contacted them twice via email and the response was within 48 hours. How far are you from Southern Czech Republic.
Good idea! They are about 1150 km from me (I am near Tivat, Montenegro). So maybe I will just take a 4 day roadtrip. Should be a very scenic drive. I like the guitar so much, that this might be best solution...
Old 05-15-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Try Blazer & Henkes in Tubingen, or Bagnasco & Casati in Savona.
That is about 200km further than to Furch, but in greater scheme more or less equivalent. So I guess the question is, what is better, going directly to Furch or to a respected luthier like the ones you recommend?
Old 05-15-2016, 03:10 AM

You might reach out to Furch and the luthiers mentioned as one, several, or all may not be able to provide a one day turn around service unless you pay substantially for that. This may weight your decision.

Also, you may want to ask around in your community to see if there are any reputable luthiers. There are many stringed instruments unique to the Balkans and guitar is frequently used in the local music (I saw a great Blues band from Montenegro while attending a Blues festival in Varazdin, Croatia).

I googled around and found this Tonewood supplier in Montenegro. They may be able to help point you to some luthiers in your area.
http://europeantonewoods.com/order.php

Best of luck getting your guitar back in proper order!

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 05-15-2016, 03:23 AM

Thanks, I just mailed that company in Montenegro, so we'll see what happens!

regards, Brian
Old 05-15-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Fist the most common statement we get is, I just want a basic setup with the lowest action possible. Unfortunate this usually requires the best setup not a basic setup, and everything needs to be almost perfect for super low action.
"Basic setup, lowest possible action with no buzz" is vague, and means different things to different people. Everybody says they want it low with no buzz, but they all need different setups, depending on their technique and their expectations. For instance, a bluegrass picker might have the same request, but would still likely require higher action than the OP.

And yes, everything has to be absolutely perfect for super low action.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuether View Post
Good idea! They are about 1150 km fr om me (I am near Tivat, Montenegro). So maybe I will just take a 4 day roadtrip. Should be a very scenic drive. I like the guitar so much, that this might be best solution...
Perhaps you can reach out Furch and see if they can recommend someone in your area...before taking the trip. I would not expect a rapid turn around if you do bring it to Furch, but if you explain the situation to them you might be pleasantly suppressed. Their customer service has a great reputation.

Let us know how it turns out
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-16-2016, 04:14 AM

The place in Montenegro could not recommend anyone. But here is what Furch said

"Hello
Uhhhhhh.........sad story Sir!
My only recommendation is to transport the guitar to our factory and we restore the guitar + we make professional factory setup to meet your needs.
I'm sorry, but we don't have any sales point in Crna Gora, Serbija or some other location close to you. You have to transport it using some parcel service, packaged in safe case...."

I certainly don't have any sort of case that I would call safe for transport. Just the semi hard case I bought the guitar with.

But maybe I should just go there so they see how I play, otherwise how do they know how to set it up? Or maybe better option is just go to great luthier recommended here.

thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuether View Post
But maybe I should just go there so they see how I play, otherwise how do they know how to set it up?
Exactly! I think factories are only concerned with is setting it to "specs". I may be wrong, but I doubt you will get much personalized treatment from a guitar factory.

Logic would dictate that you should go back to the luthier that worked on your frets, and ask him to correct the issue. One might assume that he did not put enough effort into getting it right the first time. But usually in these cases, it's not a lack of effort. It's a lack of skill, and therefore no amount of effort will make it right, and will probably only make it worse.

If you like your action super low, chances are that you need a refret, and it must be done in a very precise manner in order to achieve such low action. I'm not familiar with this brand, but IME the average factory fret job is not very precise, and unfortunately (at least here in the states) the average "luthier" who does repairs, etc. can't even do as good as a factory job. What this means is that you may need to seek out a luthier that does exceptionally fine work. The best way to find a skilled luthier is to ask the best guitarists in your region. Ask several of them (especially the ones who seem like the don't mind spending money to maintain their guitar) and chances are you will hear the same name from most of them. That's who you should take your guitar to.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:18 PM

Brian - sorry to hear the tonewood supplier didn't pan out for any leads on Luthiers. I would still contact Furch or the individual Luthiers prior to visiting just to be sure the can do a quick turnaround. As the previous poster mentioned, you might check out your local music venue / watering hole and see if anyone knows of any places that are reputable.

A couple more options would be to reach out to a fellow here on the forum that goes by GibbyPrague. He is up in the Czech Republic and might be able to point you in the right direction. Lastly, you might give it a go yourself. I have been living over here in China for many years now and pretty much gave up on finding decent Luthiers in my areas. I maintain my guitars myself and have major work done when I get back Stateside.

Here is a good resource.
http://frets.com/FretsPages/OwnerMan...nssguitar.html

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair