The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
I have made it a point to make myself burn through my cheap and low grade stuff before I let myself get into the good stuff. Unfortunately - I think I may have bought material a bit faster than I can use it up.... So that stack is pretty large. Probably enough for a couple lifetimes at my current pace.

My excuse is that I lack time.. Not materials or desire...

So I don't know if that makes me any different from your friend who keeps waiting to use "the good stuff" except maybe that I am actually building in the mean while. If he wants to "burn one" for the heck of it - I will be happy to make a great deal on low grade wood that won't feel too bad when it's not perfect.

Ironically - I have recently backed off on aiming for "creativity" in lieu of simplicity and speed recently and I am instead trying to simply get my chops better on simple execution of workmanship. So far - it has worked out pretty well - as I built a guitar start to finish in like 4 months - which is a record for me.

Thanks
I think I'm the opposite. I've "practiced" on good stuff. Makes me think about what I do. It's too easy to do something when there's no consequence of magnitude - keeps me on my toes. I also usually work deliberately. . not in a rush, though I try not to waste time unnecessarily because that's the only commodity you can't get back.

When I first started thinking about building acoustic guitars, I found the MIMF. They had some "challenge" builds I participated in. One challenge build I participated in was a "theme" guitar. I used Independence Day as my theme, and used iron-on transfer to apply images to the guitar's top. There was a monetary limit, so I used Alpi wood veneer phenolic for the back and sides. This also was a cutaway, Manzer wedge, 8 degree twist neck, multi scale... and I built it in 2 weeks! The point is, I knew what I wanted to do, and knew the time frame, but had absolutely no idea how to execute. But it's amazing what one can think of when they need to!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair