The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
I used to worry about failing on stage, not holding up my end of the bargain with my band (so to speak). I got so good at it that I stopped worrying! LOL.

Kidding aside, I think everyone has a bit of that particular fear regardless of talent or personality. I decided that I was going to go out there and have fun making music. That worked out pretty well and kept the demons at bay. Another point, if you're playing in front of people they can usually tell if you're having a good time, and are very willing to take that trip with you!
Hi Craig,

Very astute comments! For so many of us, getting up on stage is a real challenge and can make many of us feel very vulnerable. Getting up there with the idea of having fun with music is the right frame of mind, for sure. And I do think the audience responds well to folks having a good time up on stage.

In fact, I came to the same conclusions, aside from my penchant to overdo the rehearsing and preparation for performing so that it was pretty hard for me to mess up. When I decided that I needed to find a way to enjoy the experience instead of worrying about it, it made all the difference in the world.

Thanks for taking time to comment Craig! I hope all is well!

- Glenn
Old 06-10-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I always approach each new recording with some apprehension when I consider the work that will have to go into it and worrying about messing something up in the process and having to re-work.

I just think about the satisfaction of the end state.
Hi Jeremy,

Yes, and you are a busy guy. So taking on a big project is a commitment you are squeezing into your busy life somewhere. I can see where that adds to the pressure and the concerns about running out of time if and when things have to be reworked.

As you note, there is satisfaction in accomplishing something substantial in the arts. And I do think that's part of what drives us to keep attempting to express ourselves, even though we know we won't always be successful.

I hope you and your family are doing well Jeremy! It's wonderful to hear from you!

- Glenn
Old 06-10-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Craig,

Very astute comments! For so many of us, getting up on stage is a real challenge and can make many of us feel very vulnerable. Getting up there with the idea of having fun with music is the right frame of mind, for sure. And I do think the audience responds well to folks having a good time up on stage.

In fact, I came to the same conclusions, aside from my penchant to overdo the rehearsing and preparation for performing so that it was pretty hard for me to mess up. When I decided that I needed to find a way to enjoy the experience instead of worrying about it, it made all the difference in the world.

Thanks for taking time to comment Craig! I hope all is well!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn. For the record, I do enjoy your musical endeavors, so whatever you're doing is working!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-10-2021, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Thanks Glenn. For the record, I do enjoy your musical endeavors, so whatever you're doing is working!
Well, thank you Craig!

I very much appreciate your kind words of encouragement!

- Glenn
Old 06-10-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
A parallel? When I used to paint, for years I initially started with a primed white surface, which was a real intimidation, until I figured out that a tinted surface made starting a lot easier.
Interesting. That is exactly why I switched from priming with white gesso and started using rabbit skin glue. It is a very very pale yellow, plus the bunny glue lets me control precisely the tension on the canvas and more importantly the toothiness.

As to the original question...heck ya. Not always, but often enough to be noticeable. It depends of course on the project, and at what state of enthusiasm (uh, obsession) I am at. If I am in love I have no hesitation. If I am slogging, or I am currently at some sort of impasse, then I have to force it. I usually try to imagine it over. I rarely hang on to projects emotionally. It is the process that drives me. When a painting is "done" I am happy to get rid of it. When I am learning new things on the guitar it is that that makes me buzz. After, it is like a comfortable pair of shoes. It feels good to slip them on. But it is not that exciting learning/starting buzz.

And man do I agree with the line about "Quit before you are done". This is a painter's mantra, especially watercolorists. It is so easy to do too much.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 06-10-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Hi Don,

Man, great advice! I like that idea of thinking internally of using different departments to get different stuff done. And producing music these days really does involve a bunch of different departments!

Thanks for your very original ideas! I'm going to put this stuff to use!!

- Glenn
Hey Glenn,

Actually it's about organization. I just like it very flexible in order to best respond to spur of the moment inspiration.

Among other jobs I've had, I was a computer programmer for a number of years. I used to drive some of my fellow programmers nuts trying to understand my programming styles. I found creating and especially following rigid flow-charts very stifling and counter-productive. They're just outlines after all. I guess I'm more in the 'Indiana Jones' vein of ". . . making it up as I go along". Or maybe more like 'Quigley Down Under'. "Said I didn't like 'em. Never said I couldn't use 'em."

Besides, my programs all worked the way the customers wanted them to.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 06-10-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Interesting. That is exactly why I switched from priming with white gesso and started using rabbit skin glue. It is a very very pale yellow, plus the bunny glue lets me control precisely the tension on the canvas and more importantly the toothiness.

As to the original question...heck ya. Not always, but often enough to be noticeable. It depends of course on the project, and at what state of enthusiasm (uh, obsession) I am at. If I am in love I have no hesitation. If I am slogging, or I am currently at some sort of impasse, then I have to force it. I usually try to imagine it over. I rarely hang on to projects emotionally. It is the process that drives me. When a painting is "done" I am happy to get rid of it. When I am learning new things on the guitar it is that that makes me buzz. After, it is like a comfortable pair of shoes. It feels good to slip them on. But it is not that exciting learning/starting buzz.

And man do I agree with the line about "Quit before you are done". This is a painter's mantra, especially watercolorists. It is so easy to do too much.
Hi Fumei,

Interesting information about painting that I would have never known! Cool stuff!

Regarding your experience with music, yes, I know how this internal trepidation works differently at different times, depending on how we are feeling. When we feel we are really on top of things or that people really like what we are doing, it's easier to take those first steps into a new project. When we feel beat down, it's a lot harder.

It's interesting, too, about your reaction to, "Quit before you are done." From a painter's standpoint, in particular, I can see how an artist could go too far. And in music, too, sometimes there is a tendency to take something simple and make it too complicated.

Fascinating thoughts! Thank you!

- Glenn
Old 06-10-2021, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Hey Glenn,

Actually it's about organization. I just like it very flexible in order to best respond to spur of the moment inspiration.

Among other jobs I've had, I was a computer programmer for a number of years. I used to drive some of my fellow programmers nuts trying to understand my programming styles. I found creating and especially following rigid flow-charts very stifling and counter-productive. They're just outlines after all. I guess I'm more in the 'Indiana Jones' vein of ". . . making it up as I go along". Or maybe more like 'Quigley Down Under'. "Said I didn't like 'em. Never said I couldn't use 'em."

Besides, my programs all worked the way the customers wanted them to.

Don
Hi Don,

Yes, I can see that it's about organization!

I can be both ways when I work: highly organized and formal or totally seat-of-the-pants, like Indiana Jones. As you note, in the end it has to work.

Take care, Don!

- Glenn
Old 06-10-2021, 12:21 PM

Glenn,
For many decades you have strived to be the best you can, and your dedication to your craft has paid off handsomely!

I believe your fear of failure has served you well in achieving the level that you have reached.

I also believe the fear of failure drove you to be the best engineer that you could possibly be.

In short, I just don’t believe “failure”, sits well with you in any endeavor!

Hope all is well with you, and, yours!

Bill
Old 06-10-2021, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Glenn,
For many decades you have strived to be the best you can, and your dedication to your craft has paid off handsomely!

I believe your fear of failure has served you well in achieving the level that you have reached.

I also believe the fear of failure drove you to be the best engineer that you could possibly be.

In short, I just don’t believe “failure”, sits well with you in any endeavor!

Hope all is well with you, and, yours!

Bill
Hi Bill,

Thank you for the undeservedly kind words! I hardly deserve all this.

What I will say, though, is that failure is part of sticking one's neck out. If a person isn't willing to try something new, then that person certainly won't fail. But if we are willing to step into the unknown and learn and experience new things, then we are bound to encounter failure. And it's those applied lessons from failure that help us handle the next challenges.

Thank you Bill for your very kind and encouraging words. They are much appreciated!

I hope all is well for you! I'm doing great!

- Glenn
Old 06-10-2021, 05:55 PM

Since I only copy what others have done on the guitar, I don't get this sense.

But I also write short stories with barely a skeleton of an idea when I begin. That's when I wonder if 'the muse' will come to my aid or not.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

I am just in a post-Covid state of languishing.

I post now and the in show and tell, but I my tone is awful and I can't keep good time. In many ways I don't care because I can put in my epithet that I was a recording artist, even if only two or three people bothered to listen to me.

I want to do something else with my life. I am 65 and semi-retired, a would be entreprenuer in a new city, and don't really know where I want to go from here. Sometimes it is just easier to stay home, drink an extra cup of coffee in the morning (or Scotch in the afternoon) and let the day go by.

Sometimes I think I should just wander down the the local pet store, liquor store, or hardware store and see if they need an aging baby boomer for a couple of hours a day.

I managed to generate 30K of income last year in an online business. The model is evaporating as I knew it would as people got vaccinated. But honestly, that was only about two weeks of work. Now I am floundering, looking to be relevant in the New World.

I am not going to say I am afraid, but I just do not know what the future should hold for me. BTW, my wife is gainfully employed with a company deeply involved in the SARS-2 Covid business, and she is not going away anytime soon. I am just bored sitting at home, walking the dogs, and playing my guitar while the world turns.

C'est la view. Where is the Bunnabhain?
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 06-10-2021, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Since I only copy what others have done on the guitar, I don't get this sense.

But I also write short stories with barely a skeleton of an idea when I begin. That's when I wonder if 'the muse' will come to my aid or not.
Hi Ewalling,

Yes, writing an original short story is stepping off into the unknown! Good for you!

It's good to see you back on the AGF! I hope all is well!

- Glenn
Old 06-10-2021, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
I am just in a post-Covid state of languishing.

I post now and the in show and tell, but I my tone is awful and I can't keep good time. In many ways I don't care because I can put in my epithet that I was a recording artist, even if only two or three people bothered to listen to me.

I want to do something else with my life. I am 65 and semi-retired, a would be entreprenuer in a new city, and don't really know where I want to go from here. Sometimes it is just easier to stay home, drink an extra cup of coffee in the morning (or Scotch in the afternoon) and let the day go by.

Sometimes I think I should just wander down the the local pet store, liquor store, or hardware store and see if they need an aging baby boomer for a couple of hours a day.

I managed to generate 30K of income last year in an online business. The model is evaporating as I knew it would as people got vaccinated. But honestly, that was only about two weeks of work. Now I am floundering, looking to be relevant in the New World.

I am not going to say I am afraid, but I just do not know what the future should hold for me. BTW, my wife is gainfully employed with a company deeply involved in the SARS-2 Covid business, and she is not going away anytime soon. I am just bored sitting at home, walking the dogs, and playing my guitar while the world turns.

C'est la view. Where is the Bunnabhain?
I can imagine how you feel. I am 8 years older than you are and yet I still feel that I ought to be producing something useful. I have all this time and energy...

So I do have some sense of what you are saying.

Maybe you will find another good idea to help you feel like you've accomplished something. It sounds like you came up with one good idea recently.

We spend our whole adult life adapting to this system that expects us to make something of ourselves, to produce something, to contribute something, or just to keep score. It's tough to break away from it.

I'm still working on figuring out how to be retired, myself. Fortunately, I have a lot of music projects to work on.

Take care Jim,
- Glenn
Old 06-11-2021, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Hi Ray,

Wow, what a great story of triumph over adversity, Ray! Good for you!

I am sorry that you are having to deal with cancer and chemo, but I am so glad that you are still attacking your goals. Good for you.

I wish you the best in all your goals and in your struggles.

Take care,
Glenn
Thanks Glenn ! The cancer has taken away half my jaw (part of fibula now grafted in to replace it) so acting and singing have had to go out of the window - I've chosen to concentrate on playing and learning instrument maintenance which gives me the centre focus that we all need. Next learning project is an upright electric bass that Warwick are currently building for me in Germany. Carpe diem, and don't look back!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion