The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-07-2020, 07:46 AM

Ive quit playing several times in my life and recently did again, I wasnt enjoying it any more. I was miserable and angry, like going thru a loss. Finally I bought a guitar Id been eyeing and have been enjoying the heck out of playing again even though Ive lost skill. So a break can be a good thing to do. It may not get you thru the wall but its worth trying.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
...What are some things I can do to overcome this train of thought? What were some things you guys all did to get past this and get back on the right path to improving?...
Another vote for learning new material, especially by slowing down music with a computer and writing it out with pencil, paper and eraser. Learn these skills if you don’t have them. Doesn’t have to be standard notation, as it’s very easy to add the time values to tab.

The obvious advantages are that you’ll have new material to play and a permanent record in case you forget. Less obviously, you end up spending an hour or three playing slowly, just a little at a time, which gives your hands, arms and back an excellent low-impact workout. Like old folks practicing tai chi in the park. When I spend the morning transcribing, my playing is much better in the evening. Also, it provides a welcome departure from mind-numbing routine, but it’s still all about guitar playing and concentration, and the new material will put your hands into new situations and of course they’ll come out stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
...My general rule of thumb is that you should be "practicing" stuff that you can barely play or maybe can't really play at all.
I agree, but it’s also good to practice less complicated things that are hard to play smoothly and with good tone. I have a bunch of exercises and things for warming up and maintaining certain skills, but not all of them are ball breakers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write