The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-03-2021, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Rangers made a bunch of moves with 2 objectives in mind - get tougher to play against (been waiting since the '70s for this) and bring in depth for when they ship everyone to Buffalo. Sent their RW1 (Buchnevich) to the Blues for a grinder fourth liner and picked up Goodrow from Tampa and Ryan Reaves so they'll definitely go into the corners. But if the Eichel trade doesn't materialize - and opinions here are starting to shift toward him possibly being too damaged - they're still gonna have to scramble to get in. Gallant or no Gallant.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 08-03-2021, 07:21 PM

Hoping my Flames stay away from both Eichel and the crazy, long-term contracts. I like the Blake Coleman signing, and I like the trade for Zadorov, though he better figure out quick we will never pay him the $5mill+ for term he wanted from the Blackhawks! If he can be signed for $4mill x 4yrs max, he will be a great, nasty addition to our blue line. The Pitlick signing helps our bottom-6 depth, and our PK. The Vladar "steal" from the Bruins, who would have lost him to waivers anyway, gives us a good, young backup for Markstrom who the Bruins were ready to give NHL minutes too. A 5/6 right-handed defenceman would be a nice addition. Josh Manson would be my ideal choice. What he costs us, I don't know. I hope we don't trade Monahan - that's the talk up here. He's been hurt, and surgery has remedied his situation. He's a good guy, and a proven scorer - IF he has a good set-up man.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 08-05-2021, 01:32 PM

Bruins haven't done much. Krejci heading back to Europe. We'll see how Ullmark does in goaltending. Not sure about Rask - I don't think he's signed.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Season ends October 3, 8 weeks from today. Yes, it's possible that a team might make up a game a week to win their division but the following teams are more than 8 games out of first:

Seattle
LA Angles
Texas
Cleveland
Detroit
Kansas City
Minnesota
Baltimore
Colorado
Arizona
St. Louis
Chicago Cubs
Pittsburgh
Miami

A few have a wild card chance, but the folks with the Excel spreadsheet will smile and say well maybe next year.
I think you meant to post this in the MLB thread
Old 09-10-2021, 03:26 PM

Sidney Crosby is out at least 6 weeks after having wrist surgery. The Pens open the season on Oct 12 and Sid could return as early as Oct 20. Looks like Malkin is also missing the start of the season after having knee surgery in June.

Training camps will be starting up in another week or so with the first preseason games on Sept 25.

What NHL stories are peaking your interest?
Old 09-10-2021, 03:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Apart from mild curiosity about the Kraken, right now I’m too interested in NFL football, the current run by the MLB Toronto Blue Jays, and how 19 y/o Canadian Laylah Fernandez is tearing it up at the US Open tennis.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Doesn't seem to be much happening right now aside from maybe teams looking to settle contract stuff and Traverse City if you happen to be one of the handful of teams attending. It's that time of year where teams are pretty much set going into training camp. Maybe something will happen with Tarasenko to one of the teams in the Metro. But I'm glad you revived this thread, Dru.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 09-11-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sidney Crosby is out at least 6 weeks after having wrist surgery. The Pens open the season on Oct 12 and Sid could return as early as Oct 20. Looks like Malkin is also missing the start of the season after having knee surgery in June.

Training camps will be starting up in another week or so with the first preseason games on Sept 25.

What NHL stories are peaking your interest?
As a Pens fan the story I'm most interested in is what the Pens will do to replace both Crosby and Malkin for the start of the season. Both players, now in their mid-thirties, will be recovering from their second surgeries on these specific injured body parts, so the situation could easily become one where their respective rehabs might take a lot longer than expected. Losing their top two centers (and arguably their top two players) will surely be a challenge that will face them to start the season, and potentially for a few weeks or months beyond. I'm looking forward to seeing how the team copes with this adversity.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-11-2021, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Grubauer ends up with the Kraken after all after the Avs did/could not sign him. Hoping they feel Francouz will be ready after missing the entire season then having surgery on April. Concerning.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 09-11-2021, 08:21 AM

ESPN is the new rights holder after years of NHL on NBC. I am looking forward to their production approach. They will share the stage with TNT/TBS. NBC did a great job from 2005 to 2021. I look forward to the season as my NY Islanders hopefully will pick up from their successful run last season!
Old 09-11-2021, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

And in a new building that, to put it mildly, will be very loud....
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 09-11-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Apart from mild curiosity about the Kraken, right now I’m too interested in NFL football, the current run by the MLB Toronto Blue Jays, and how 19 y/o Canadian Laylah Fernandez is tearing it up at the US Open tennis.
Tom, I've seen the headlines online at TSN and Sportsnet bout Frenandez. I'm not a tennis fan but I'm rooting for her. She's had an amazing run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Doesn't seem to be much happening right now aside from maybe teams looking to settle contract stuff and Traverse City if you happen to be one of the handful of teams attending. It's that time of year where teams are pretty much set going into training camp. Maybe something will happen with Tarasenko to one of the teams in the Metro. But I'm glad you revived this thread, Dru.
Glad to have hockey coming back around, Roberts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
As a Pens fan the story I'm most interested in is what the Pens will do to replace both Crosby and Malkin for the start of the season. Both players, now in their mid-thirties, will be recovering from their second surgeries on these specific injured body parts, so the situation could easily become one where their respective rehabs might take a lot longer than expected. Losing their top two centers (and arguably their top two players) will surely be a challenge that will face them to start the season, and potentially for a few weeks or months beyond. I'm looking forward to seeing how the team copes with this adversity.
I wonder if the Pens are going to have to go through a rebuilding phase in a couple of years? Although Crosby wants to spend his entire career with the Pens there's little to keep an aging star with a team that's rebuilding.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the Pens are going to have to go through a rebuilding phase in a couple of years? Although Crosby wants to spend his entire career with the Pens there's little to keep an aging star with a team that's rebuilding.
With Crosby, Malkin and Letang all reaching their mid-thirties now, and both Malkin's and Letang's contracts expiring at the end of this season, the Penguins are going to have to make a decision soon about the future. Will they keep that trio together by extending Malkin and Letang and let them play out their twilight years as teammates? Will they allow Malkin and Letang to head off into free agency after this season? Will they deal them at the trade deadline if the Pens are out of contention? There have been no hints that I've heard coming from Penguin management or ownership. There's no doubt that a rebuild is coming, but when that might start is still unknown.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-11-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Grubauer ends up with the Kraken after all after the Avs did/could not sign him. Hoping they feel Francouz will be ready after missing the entire season then having surgery on April. Concerning.
Paul - Grubauer should do great with the Kraken. I just checked his career stats, 109 W, 61 L, .920 save percentage but last year was his career year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
ESPN is the new rights holder after years of NHL on NBC. I am looking forward to their production approach. They will share the stage with TNT/TBS. NBC did a great job from 2005 to 2021. I look forward to the season as my NY Islanders hopefully will pick up from their successful run last season!
Great that the NHL is finally back on ESPN. This should be excellent exposure for hockey in the US. I noticed a few months ago (probably after this was announced) that the ESPN website now has "NHL" back on the top menu after being gone for years, next to NFL, NBA, MLB.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great that the NHL is finally back on ESPN. This should be excellent exposure for hockey in the US. I noticed a few months ago (probably after this was announced) that the ESPN website now has "NHL" back on the top menu after being gone for years, next to NFL, NBA, MLB.
Yeah, that was some nonsense to demote NHL from the drop-down for so many years. Looking forward to see how ESPN and NHL partner up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic