The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2021, 01:10 PM

Default AER Compact 60...how hot does yours get?

Hi all,
Iím pleased as punch with my new AER Compact 60/4. It sounds superb on every level and is a great, small, light and totally professional guitar and vocal amplification solution.

Last night I played a show with it in a large room with over 100 people in it, and it had no problem filling the space, with the master volume at 11 oíclock!

My only concerns that at the end of the show, after being on for 2.5hrs, the back panel of the amp was quite hot-not too hot to touch, but certainly warmer than I was expecting. I am aware that various components are bolted to the back panel and itís used as a primary heatsink for the amplifier (itís also vented), and there were no operational issues whatsoever so Iím not overly concerned, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced their Compact 60 getting hot over the course of a show?

Iíve emailed AER to ask them their thoughts, but thereís no substitute for real world experience.
'05 Hummingbird 12 string (K&K)
'15 SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
'16 Advanced Jumbo Flame Deluxe (Sunrise)
Ď19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
Ď20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I just got an Udo Amp (essentially a ported AER) and it warms up pretty good at even lower volumes. I think as you mentioned, thats just its way of dissipating heat.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
Old 06-14-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I just got an Udo Amp (essentially a ported AER) and it warms up pretty good at even lower volumes. I think as you mentioned, thats just its way of dissipating heat.
Thatís good to know! Iíve owned a couple of AERs before but donít remember how hot they did/didnít get. I donít suspect a problem as there is certainly no shortage of performance, the thing is astonishingly loud and the clarity and accuracy is superb. Very inspiring to play through and far better for vocals than the previous AERs Iíve owned (Domino 3 and Compact XL).

I do love the look of the Udo. Iím keen to get a secondhand AG8 extension speaker for my Compact 60 to run it in stereo, but am tempted to spend a little more and buy an Udo to use in the same way and as a second amp. Maybe Iím just being an amp hog!

Old 06-16-2021, 12:42 PM

I received a very helpful reply from AER today, confirming that the back panel of the amp is a heatsink for the mains transformer and power stage of the amp, and gets hot by design. Nothing to worry about!

Old 06-16-2021, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing that. Good to hear from a reliable source!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification