The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-15-2018, 06:11 AM

Default imbuyia, torrefied sitka steel string

a shape similar to a Martin 000, 15" lower bout. Lattice braced. Back glued on with flamed maple arts and crafts/mission style bowtie inlays. These will match the end graft and binding. the last piece of binding , removing the rope. The first coat of osmo poly x hard oil wax applied

Last edited by RGPGuitars; 04-22-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:39 AM

Does the addition of the lattice brace change the sound much or is it just structural?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:58 AM

Default Lattice bracing

I changed to lattice bracing on my last 5 steel strings. They have been consistently louder, better balanced with longer sustain. Also a hybrid lattice bracing system on my last nylon string guitars. (No carbon fibre epoxy overlay/underlay). Same result. Better volume, brighter trebles and sustain.
My thinking is that it gives a more stable ,yet light platform, reducing frequency cancellation by encouraging more up and down motion, reducing the front to back torquing and side to side motion. But that is theory only. Lol. To me the proof is in the sound. I am very happy with the voices of these guitars.
Russ Parker
Old 04-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Maybe it’s just me but that photo seems awfully small.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Maybe it’s just me but that photo seems awfully small.
I squinted.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely love the bowtie inlay motif ... that's going to look great!
Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 PM

Default Bow tie inlays

Thanks Dave. Haven't done those for a couple of years on a guitar. But the wood grain was too nice for a back strip (I thought) , so I did this instead. They might be too small to see the flame/curl, but I think it will, work anyway.
I found a pic of the classical lattice brace from another guitar, not the one posted, but it's on my phone Aand I'm not sure how to get it uploaded to Imgur. Lol. Computer dud that I am. Russ. Btw, posted a few guitars for sale.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:51 AM

I think the butterflies are pretty neat too. I also love Imbuia, one of my favorites.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:10 AM

Default Imbuyia

Thanks, glad you like the bow ties. First time I've used Imbuyia. Seems to have
a nice tap tone. Sure is pretty. Haven't seen or heard a guitar with it before. Do you have any first hand experience with it on a guitar?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPGuitars View Post
Thanks, glad you like the bow ties. First time I've used Imbuyia. Seems to have
a nice tap tone. Sure is pretty. Haven't seen or heard a guitar with it before. Do you have any first hand experience with it on a guitar?
I've probably built 20 guitars with Imbuia. I still can't make any claims as to it's tonal properties as I tend to focus on the tops anyway. One thing I do know though is that it varies very widely from ultra dense stuff to very light weight stuff. It also varies in color and I noticed that it correlates in the density. I have some pieces that look like dark chocolate and others that look like light suede leather. More so then any other wood I've ever worked with. I just so happens to score a stash of it in the 90's that I still have today, probably 50 more guitars worth. All reclaimed from floor boards so they are 4 piece backs.

Smells great when working it too
Old 04-18-2018, 02:44 PM

Default Imbuyia

Yup. I liked the smell too. That's a lot of guitars for one type of wood that isn't common. And you got it for free. I'm jealous. Lol
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPGuitars View Post
Yup. I liked the smell too. That's a lot of guitars for one type of wood that isn't common. And you got it for free. I'm jealous. Lol
Some people don't like the 4 piece back though. But really it looks pretty cool and in some cases you can hardly even tell.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Some people don't like the 4 piece back though. But really it looks pretty cool and in some cases you can hardly even tell.
I'm not sure why folks wouldn't like 4 piece backs ... Stradivarius used them ... and I know a high end classical builder who uses 4 piece tops regularly. Maybe a visual thing?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
I'm not sure why folks wouldn't like 4 piece backs ... Stradivarius used them ... and I know a high end classical builder who uses 4 piece tops regularly. Maybe a visual thing?
People will argue about the tonal 'problems' with 4 piece backs too. The Internet has done lots of damage in that regard. A few months ago on another forum when Imbuia was being discussed a fellow luthier asked if I would sell him some which I was willing to do. He disregarded it due to it being 4-piece. So to each their own I guess and it is a bit more work to join up the back. It works for me.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
People will argue about the tonal 'problems' with 4 piece backs too. The Internet has done lots of damage in that regard. A few months ago on another forum when Imbuia was being discussed a fellow luthier asked if I would sell him some which I was willing to do. He disregarded it due to it being 4-piece. So to each their own I guess and it is a bit more work to join up the back. It works for me.
At around the 3:00 mark, Romanillos talks about using 3,4 or even 5 piece tops and/or backs. It's only one man's opinion of course, but a man who is considered one of the best living luthiers currently

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop