The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-25-2018, 05:58 PM
Guest 928

Default Collecting

A number of threads have mentioned the CF guitars that could become classics. This thread is devoted to those guitars. Here are my predictions.

There has to be a Cargo in the list. I'm not sure which one, but the Cargo has been the gateway for many CF players.

And the Blackbird offerings have contained many innovative and memorable instruments. The same can be said of Rainsong. Emerald, too, has produced some possible CF classic guitars.

I started out thinking that I could collect from all makers. But I wasn't rich enough. So I went to a sub-set of Cf guitars, nylon string. But even here, I could not afford to keep all the incredible CF nylon Strung guitars.

Blackbird came out with a lute-like nylon string guitar and a Super OM, limited edition nylon guitar. Rainsong has left a trail of unique nylon string guitars. Rainsong's recent Parlor nylon is a keeper. It is a 12 fret with a cut-a-way. Cut-a-ways diminish the sound of a classical guitar, but they allow higher fret reach. The Rainsong Parlor comes very close to the sound of a superior, wooden, classical guitar. I still have it, but can not afford to collect all the CF nylon options..

So, I settled on Emerald. Emerald was one of the starters in the CF race. Its X5 travel guitar was a wonderment, its X10 was remarkable, and its X20 is stunning.

And so, believing that rarity drives value, I have focused on custom-made, nylon string, Emerald guitars. Started out with an X10N, went to a an X20-OSN, went to an X10-OSN, and recently went with an X7-OSN, thin-bodied electric. You don't see a lot of those.

I still have the Rainsong and the X10-OSN. It is a beautiful ruby red and it plays and sounds like a dream. And I still have the X7-OSN, thin bodied electric. I'm hanging on to these because they really please me in terms of play and sound, and because they are super rare.

As I listen to others of you on this forum, I hear a sense collection, either for play or value, or both. It would be interesting to hear your choices.............
Old 03-25-2018, 06:12 PM

Bored Unc?? Anyway, I have had a few, have a bunch, and tried several others from most makers. That's all I gots to say right now...playing with speaker set ups for my home piano stuff right now.... proceed.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Those sound like some unique guitars. I would love to see some pictures.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Guest 928

Nephew K;
You are one of the people who got me thinking about collecting--with those 200 Cargos you collected early in the game. I look forward to hearing more when you finish messing with the piano stuff.

18;
I am not much of a picture taker, but the guitars mentioned have all been displayed on this forum and can be found using the search engine. Enjoy.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Well, I still have my three Cargos. At least one of them ought to become valuable someday. Just ask "Antiques Road Show" on PBS, where everything is worth lots of money.

It would be very difficult to guess what will become a collector's item. Often, stuff that is considered just weird would probably not make the grade. Martin guitars are a mainstream recognized brand, so they hold their value. Even people who know little to nothing about guitars, seem to know of Martin. Same with Gibson. Who, outside of this little group has heard of Blackbird or Rainsong or CA Guitars, or even knows that guitars can be made from something other than wood and still be "real" guitars? I suspect the "critical mass" of buyers just isn't there.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Guest 928

But it's coming. I'm such a Pollyanna. Some day, over the rainbow............
Old 03-27-2018, 02:08 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

The Rainsong archtops should be on this list. They also used to make some hybrid partial wood guitars. Those are pretty rare.

The CA Blade foray into the electric guitar world has to be one of the collectables. Apparently they also made a few "pro" models in gloss finish etc. Rare, rare, rare.

I've seen some earlier CA acoustic guitars that looked really different/experimental.

Viktorian was a brand of CF electrics that existed for a while and I thought they were just dynamite. You rarely see them for sale and so I'd add them to this list.

Earlier Emerald guitars may perhaps become collectable. Especially the ones where they were experimenting with veneers such as the X5. I say so because I have one. It has locking tuners, a pickup, and it's full 25.5" scale that fits in a tiny case and weighs nothing. What more could you want in a travel guitar?

JR
Old 03-27-2018, 03:04 PM

I have a center hole woody X-10...signed even ...nice

And a center hole woody redwood (I think) X-7...

My buddy has the CA 12 string
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-27-2018, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

JR;

Rainsong has a magnificent history of varied guitars, many of them possible future classics. Years ago, on the old Carbon Fiber Guitar Forum, someone contributed a few pages of past Rainsong instruments--they were varied and beautiful.

It's interesting that you mention Viktorian since I've been wondering what happened to the company; they had some beautiful CF instruments that were quite different than those coming out of America.

I've always thought of the Blade as a work in process, one that died early in its development. I've been surprised that Peavey has not pursued a more refined Blade.

I'm an ardent Emerald fan and would definitely put Emerald on the list of future classics, but not so much the early guitars. I think Alistair hit his stride with the custom instruments and his monthly series.

While rarity is one feature of classic status, I think an item also needs some special pizazz--maybe by virtue of who played with it, or some element of high style, or whatever............

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber